High Schools dropping AP courses [in favor of dual enrollment]

State colleges are most likely to accept them. Private colleges vary from accepting them, or only accepting them for Gen Eds and not necessarily in one’s major, or not accepting them.

And still, if one is looking at Medical, Vet, or Law school down the road, beware that these class grades will count on those applications. Then too, many medical schools don’t want to see pre-reqs done at a cc, esp if there are no higher level classes at the four year school in the same field.

2 Likes

Yes, I know schools say this but a lot also just require approval from an advisor or require you to take a test to prove profeciancy. I would stay away from schools that don’t accept cc classes. Just a money grab to me. Yes, in the end it is school specific and major specific also. Just letting it out there that it could be a factor in school selection and a way to save money and time.

I had one guy tell me that Bio 101 was the exact same everywhere and any place that didn’t accept credit from the cc course he was teaching was just money grabbing. Then I took him the first test from my son’s class at his four year school.

He never said that afterward. He was speechless for a bit TBH.

A younger son took the cc course and sat in on one of his brother’s classes. I asked him if they were the same. He said no. I asked how so? He said in his class they learned “about an enzyme that helped with the process.” In his brother’s class they were studying multiple enzymes, by name, and what each did in the process. That lad called his cc class, “Bio-Lite” forever after.

Know the school you’re going to. If in doubt, ask if you can see previous tests to compare.

1 Like

For some classes, particularly biology, there are also multiple levels. When I was a student, there was a bio for BS biology/biochem majors, and easier version for BA in biology majors, one for nursing, and I think another for use as a non-science elective. I’m not sure what is offered or required now. I’ve taught CC classes for non-majors (basically biology appreciation) and the one that nursing students take and they are definitely not the same. The nursing one is a close match to what I teach to homeschooled high schoolers, and a couple of kids have passed APs after taking it. That college class is actually a pretty good match for the AP exam, with very little difference in content. It seems like there should be a more challenging college course available, but I could also be convinced that the class that nurses take is adequate to prepare students to move on to cell biology and biochemistry, where the more challenging material is taught.

1 Like