Hispanic Heritage with partially unknown parentage

I’m wondering how organizations such as the National Hispanic Recognition Program deal with children with some hispanic heritage, but some unknown parentage. My grandmother was Hispanic - although she’d say Spanish. Born and raised in New Mexico and her family traces their roots back to when the state was part of Spain. Racially, she’d be part Caucasian and part Native American as there was much intermarrying during those years in New Mexico. I do not know anything about her husband (other than his name which is not Hispanic) as he left the family when my mother was an infant. When I was filling out applications and scholarships decades ago, I listed my self as part Hispanic part Irish (my father’s heritage). I even won a few Hispanic scholarships that required interviews where I discussed my grandmother and the Hispanic culture in my life.

Now to my question, where do my children fit in? My husband is not Hispanic. They would be somewhere between 1/4 to 1/8 Hispanic depending on my grandfather’s ethnicity which I know nothing about. Would the fact that my mother was raised by a single mother (until she remarried - to a Hispanic if it matters) make her 100% Hispanic irregardless of her birth father’s heritage? How would one go about proving any of this?

From NHRP’s Definition of Hispanic/Latino:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scholarships-and-recognition/national-hispanic-recognition-program

It does not sound like your children will qualify.

I’ve read that - which is why I’m asking. My grandmother’s ancestors are from Mexico, my grandfather’s ancestors are unknown. I have no way of knowing where they came from as he disappeared 60+ years ago. My grandmother never discussed him. As her second husband was Hispanic, my mother was raised in a 100% Hispanic household. Is the fact that I can’t prove where my grandfather’s ancestors originated preclude my children when for all I know he could have been Hispanic?

Based on what you say, I think you qualify.

No disrespect to anyone but there are many kids who have no data on their fathers and/or grandfathers (including me). That’s nothing new.

They have never asked us for proof. It seems to be a honor system.

If some program like NHRP has a specific definition, use that definition for that particular program.

For other situations where no definition is given, consider whether the student self-identifies as Hispanic or Latino (in contexts other than checking boxes), or is commonly identified by others as Hispanic or Latino.

Agree with ucbalumnus…
My rule ot thumb is that if you have to ask, the answer is probably “no”. Especially when referencing a program that has articulated criteria. NHRP does require a high school administrator to submit a signed form that validates that you are at least 1/4 Hispanic. In that sense, it is not quite an honor system as there is a validation step by a third party.