Hispanic Kids kick Butt on APs

<p>Check out the data on Hispanic student participation in AP exams. Dave Berry just posted the college board report (2/6/09) on the main CC page. They are with in .4% of parity with white students. </p>

<p>Huge gains in California and Florida.</p>

<p>Asians---watch out. Hispanics are hitting the books!!!!! and getting the grades!!!!</p>

<p>I don't see it. Can you link to it?</p>

<p>Don't see one by Dave Berry, but here is a Featured Discussion from tokenadult with a link to the newest AP results:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/648272-5th-annual-ap-report-nation-released.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/648272-5th-annual-ap-report-nation-released.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>thats because most of them take ap spanish language and ap spanish lit.</p>

<p>^^^I don't see that data in the report, what's your source?</p>

<p>Why do people automaticly ASSume that it must be in Spanish related subjects? My sons tets have been in all but Spanish, including 5's on Physics and Calculus.</p>

<p>And FYI, many Latinos in this country are only fluentin English, and even if they are bilingual, it may be in another language like Portuguese. Not all Latino cultures are based around the Spanish language. Besides, most Latino kids that you would classify as Spanish speakers only have a conversational command of the language and are very weak in grammar and vocabulary. And Spanish isn't the only AP foreign language...</p>

<p>
[quote]
Not all Latino cultures are based around the Spanish language.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It depends on the definition you're using. Check out the thread:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/641650-hispanic-latino-defined.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/641650-hispanic-latino-defined.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>College admissions use the US Census Bureau definition which does not include people from Portuguese speaking nations:</p>

<p>"Hispanics or Latinos are those people who classified themselves in one of the specific Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino categories listed on the Census 2000 questionnaire -'Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano,' 'Puerto Rican', or 'Cuban' -as well as those who indicate that they are 'other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino.' Persons who indicated that they are 'other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino' include those whose origins are from Spain, the Spanish-speaking countries of Central or South America, the Dominican Republic or people identifying themselves generally as Spanish, Spanish-American, Hispanic, Hispano, Latino, and so on."</p>

<p>While the NHRP definition includes people from Brazil (but not Portugal):</p>

<p>"To qualify for this program, you must be at least one-quarter Hispanic/Latino. Hispanic/Latino is an ethnic category, not a racial category, and you may be of any race. For purposes of the NHRP, you must be from a family whose ancestors came from at least one of these countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, or Venezuela."</p>

<p>Like the movie "Stand and Deliver" with Edward James-Olmos (sic.)?</p>

<p>To me, Latino is of Latin America. Simple enough right? I don't know why people would want to exclude Brazil and others. There are many non-Spanish speaking communities throughout Latin American countries with Spanish as their official language.</p>

<p>True!</p>

<p>I took AP English Lang, AP English lit, AP Bio, AP Gov and Politics</p>

<p>and AP Spanish Lang</p>

<p>and did very well</p>

<p>I don't know if there is that much difference in "hispanics" anymore. Unless the family is central american laborers, all the "hispanic" kids I know are very mixed i.e. Puerto Rican and Cuban, Cuban and Mexican, Mexican and Irish, Puerto Rican and Italian. </p>

<p>I think many of these kids are self identifying as hispanic because their parents told them to, for any benefit they may recieve for being "hispanic".</p>

<p>I also agree that Spanish AP tests will skew the results.</p>

<p>I believe that the SAT scors for hispanics are still about 100 pts. per section lower than whites (450 vs 550). This is why my wife and I told our hispanic son with the Irish first name and German last name to self identify as hispanic.</p>

<p>^ That's probably the case with most 'Hispanics' on this forum, but still most of the Hispanics in the US as of now are not of mixed nationality and were actually born and raised Hispanic and didn't have to be told what to mark.</p>

<p>
[quote]
That's probably the case with most 'Hispanics' on this forum...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think many of these kids are self identifying as hispanic because their parents told them to, for any benefit they may recieve for being "hispanic".

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What, being a mixed kid warrants scare quotes? Or assumptions about one's motives in identifying with parts of one's own background?</p>

<p>Everyone needs to learn how to work the system to their best advantage. It’s part of life, and applies to many things beyond college.</p>

<p>@Whoever said the spanish test. I’m hispanic, have taken 9 AP’s and have gotten 5 on all of them. Yeah, I took spanish language. </p>

<p>Hm, so all the white kids don’t take english language? that must really skew the results </p>

<p>-.-</p>

<p>I like it. Touche!</p>

<p>In response to post #14:</p>

<p>What is it about quotation marks that scares you?
Are you afraid of all punctuation?
Look out! Here comes a period.</p>