Hispanic Students - COLLEGE CLASS of 2015

<p>Thanks JRNMom! I definitely understand the rollercoaster of emotions that occdom4 is experiencing. We went through the same thing when my S was deferred from his top choice. Once he got a few likely letters, he felt a little better. I think there will be a huge weight lifted from his shoulders when actually gets his first acceptance letter. </p>

<p>It sounds as if there is a lot of good news coming out by the day. I am wishing for the best for all our kids.</p>

<p>My son told me yesterday that he’d heard rumors that UVA was posting decisions earlier than the 1 April date. It is a fact… Copied and pasted from the UVA Website.</p>

<p>I’m just back from Dean Roberts’ office and have the news for which you’ve been waiting.</p>

<p>Decisions will be ready this Friday, March 25, 2011 at 5 PM Eastern!</p>

<p>We are all smiles here. It’s been a long reading season and we are so happy that the first year decisions are almost ready to be released. Obviously, some of you will be at your computers at 5 PM on the dot, but know that you can view your decision any time after 5 PM. </p>

<p>Posts are also coming with info from financial aid, the scholars programs, and the Days on the Lawn planning group (those are our admitted students days).</p>

<p>Wow, tough week. First the good news – my son was accepted to an excellent private (not sure we can afford it until hearing about FA) and he got a bit more aid this week from another private, making it affordable for us. But he was rejected by all in-state public universities, including his safety. Maybe that essay didn’t go over too well. I will focus on the positive because so far he has three great choices: 2 privates and one oos public. But I think he will be disappointed about all the in-state public stuff. The safety will be particularly strange because his avg SAT is about 450 points higher than their mean and his GPA is at about the mean. Oh boy, if I have learned something is don’t count on anything. Still, I’m thinking of things to say in case he gets down about the in-state possibilities…The universities you have gotten into are great and you will be happy and do well in the place where you were meant to be…any other thoughts? I know some of you have been through this.</p>

<p>Copter…D was also rejected today by in state publics–crushing numbers of students applying for very few slots. Tough deal. One was a legacy, not that it matters. 3 privates to go and 2 of them are reaches and unlikelies, one is what I thought was a match and is her #1 choice. Hanging dearly onto that one…
I think this. D has one offer. I figure there are applicants who would love to have her offered position at that particular college even if it was low on her list (it’s high now!). Copter, your son has 3 choices including some money.No doubt there are other deferred or rejected applicants who would love to have his acceptances. He can be proud of his accomplishment and I think you have the right approach to his disappointment about the publics. He is truly a fortunate young man.
I have told D just because she was rejected doesn’t mean she wasn’t qualified and wouldn’t be successful…she has plenty to offer…there just weren’t enough slots to go around. Best to all for this coming week–keeping fingers crossed.</p>

<p>After reading the two previous messages from Copter and JNRMom, I’m starting to freak out a bit. I had heard that the number of applicants, including many URM, had risen as much as 15% above last year. (I was hoping it was just hype…) The numbers are really just mind boggling, especially in this economy. I can’t help but wonder if the ease of the CommonApp has something to do with the surge applicants this year. </p>

<p>Both your kids are very lucky to have been accepted to schools and with some FA money too. I wish I had some words of wisdom for easing the inevitable disappointment that comes with a rejection. I might need them soon since my S starts hearing back this afternoon.</p>

<p>Hi- I am scared to pieces. It’s ridiculous how hard this college thing is! I only just turned 18 and this is too much for most of us- those of us who are normal high school kids-with to be expected focus problems! I bet there are a small percentage of amazing high schoolers who have it all together and were adults at birth but I am not one of them.</p>

<p>So far I have 4 acceptances with the BIG ONES ahead, the ones that are going to hurt!</p>

<p>I will be strong, I will be strong-Oh Lord this is hard!</p>

<p>Thanks to all for your thoughts. JRN, you helped me get more perspective. </p>

<p>Tejana, I am in California, and the UC system is very quirky and gets more applications than most universities. UCLA got 61,000 apps this year and many of the others had more than 40,000. It may not be as bad in other states, or at least I hope it isn’t. In any case, we’re going to focus on the positives and the possibilities, including an upcoming trip in April. :)</p>

<p>bluegrassgrl, congrats on your acceptances. I know this process can be scary. Four gives you a good number to work with, and perhaps others will come through. </p>

<p>I appreciate being able to share some thoughts with all of you.</p>

<p>Just back and catching up, congratulations and condolences to everyone. With the current competitive nature of college admissions, I think we’re all going to feel some highs and lows this season.</p>

<p>Other than being caught up in a late season snow storm which made a 4 hr into a 5 hr drive between colleges, we had a successful and enjoyable trip. We toured two large OOS publics and a small, private LAC. Quite an dramatic contrast and it made for interesting reactions to their strengths and weaknesses by D2.</p>

<p>Copterguy-</p>

<p>Hang in there. I am so sorry about your DS’s rejections from instate schools but know that you have a lot of company. We too live in California and my DS was in the same boat. Rejected from our in-state schools including my alma mater. He got into only one
UC (Irvine) but again that was with no money. Compare it to his out of state acceptances and wonderful merit scholarships it made it an easy decision.</p>

<p>Being accepted into California in-state schools is tough these days. Our very accomplished neighbor got into Stanford ED but was rejected by UCLA-which does not make any sense and she too is a URM. Huge California economic troubles combined with incredibly large pools of applicants really will make me think about whether they should be an option for my DD. Plus my DS’s friends at UC’s report of favorite professors leaving and larger class sizes. Plus it seems that the regents increase the tution by 30% every four months. It turned out the instate UC was my son’s most expensive option. Your DS has been accepted to some great schools and with some merit money. Please let your child know that his rejections is not a reflection of him but rather the bad luck of being born in a bad year when the numbers were just not there.</p>

<p>To everyone else again hang in there. Please reread my earlier post. All of your children will end up with a great education and some very wonderful colleges. Good luck to you all and try not to stress too much. I know this is the “week” so I will be thinking of you all and keep you in my prayers.</p>

<p>itsv & Copter I had no idea just how competitive the in-state application process is in California. 61,000 apps is just insanity… I only know of one girl at my son’s school who got into a California school (OOS) of course, and I believe she is going to UC Santa Barbara. My son applied to a private school in California but with the tuition increases itsv spoke of he could never attend (if accepted). Nothing is more terrifying to a parent than the thoughts of 30% increases every 4 months. Yikes!</p>

<p>Well, my S received 4 of 15 of his admission results. It seems like most parents post more general information regarding schools so I will follow their lead. I hope I do this correctly.</p>

<p>1 OOS Private (Accepted w/ $15,000 merit per year for 4 years)
1 IS (Accepted) He is pretty excited b/c it is one of his top choices.
1 OOS Private (Deferred in Nov. still waiting…)</p>

<p>Biggest Shocker – He was accepted to a super reach IVY yesterday. We couldn’t believe it!!! He had a message asking that he please return the Admissions Officer phone call because they needed to speak with him. All I could hear from upstairs was, “This is INCREDIBLE! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!” They had called to congratulate him in person and to tell him to expect official notice this week along with all the financial aid information. This was so unexpected but so very happy for him. This whole process is a crapshoot and you never know how things are going to work out.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Just to clarify, I believe itsv was referring specifically to CA publics, while privates everywhere also increase tuition every year, it’s usually by a few percent, for instance:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1101569-how-much-coa-going-up-your-your-childs-school.html?highlight=increase[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1101569-how-much-coa-going-up-your-your-childs-school.html?highlight=increase&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>I started this thread by using more general information rather than specific school names, but please feel free to use whatever level of information you’re comfortable with. I have a long posting history and have given out lots of pieces of information about my kids and schools and I have found that I need to be careful that people cannot “connect the dots” for the sake of my kids. It’s amazing what people can find out about you by Googeling these days.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your S, it sounds like he’s going to have many excellent choices!</p>

<p>Thank you, itsv. I have learned a lot from your posts since I started coming to cc last year. </p>

<p>Tejana, congrats to your son. Great news!</p>

<p>entomom, you raise a good point about boards. My wife recently got contacted by a newspaper about a comment she put up on a board at that newspaper’s website but under a username. I guess the reporter looked her up in the database. Sometimes I would like to post questions on cc that deal with our finances but feel a bit awkward about putting that info on a board. </p>

<p>Hope you’re all having a great Saturday.</p>

<p>Thank you for your advice on protecting my son’s anonymity. </p>

<p>We spent the weekend soaking in the reality of what these college acceptances mean. The financial aid packages will be crucial in his decision making. He says he understands that he needs significant financial aid to go to his dream school but I don’t think (at his age) he can have any idea of the burden massive student debt could have on the rest of his life. We found out on Saturday that he was accepted to one of his OOS safety schools which offered him full tuition for four years, plus guaranteed housing for four years. This OOS is not one on top of his preferences but it certainly merits great contemplation given the substancial size of the FA.</p>

<p>tejana 13-congratulations to your son on his Ivy acceptance. I hope the finanical package makes it worthwhile. Remember you can try to leverage his great scholarship with some school’s finanical aid packages. If they want him bad enough some schools will raise their packages enough to make it doable for you. </p>

<p>Thanks entomom for clarifying my point with increases in California state tutions. I was referring to the regents of the UC system. </p>

<p>For everyone else; I agree it is important to be careful of privacy issues. If after awhile you feel comfortable and want more info then a private message is the way to go. My DH is a judge here and with all the “craziness” in the courtroom we have to be careful with our children’s identies. It freaked me out once when we were out on a date and this lady kept on looking at us; only to discover that DH had ruled against her and she wasn’t too happy about it and let us know while we were on our date. </p>

<p>Good luck to everyone. Then end of the decisions is near. Be sure to check online and look at the individual college forums here on CC since someone will usually post if decisions are released early.</p>

<p>Great posts! Thanks for sharing. D (here in WA State) has applied to 8 schools – Carleton, Kalamazoo, Kenyon, Pomona, Reed, Seattle U., Swarthmore & Williams. She was accepted by all but Pomona & we’re still waiting on Williams. These schools have been very generous with their finacial aid–it’s pretty humbling. The American Dream will become a reality for our oldest! :)</p>

<p>itsv…Thanks for the information. I didn’t know one could negotiate FA packages. This might give my S some hope of going to his top choice. I figure it can’t hurt to ask…all they can say is no. Does anyone have any specific advice on how to go about beginning a discussion for more FA. Would my S go the Admissions Officer first and explain his situation or straight to financial aid? </p>

<p>The financial aid information is coming in so quickly, I think we are going to need a spreadsheet to do a cost/benefit analysis and keep all this information straight. We are seriously going to need all the help we can get. </p>

<p>Here are my S updated admissions results:
1 OOS Private (Accepted w/ $15,000 merit per year for 4 years)
1 IS (Accepted) He is pretty excited b/c it is one of his top choices.
1 OOS Private (Deferred in Nov. – Accepted w/$25,000 per year for 4 years)
1 OOS Ivy (Accepted - financial aid TBA)
1 OOS Private (Full tuition and fees + guaranteed housing for 4 years)</p>

<p>Still waiting on 10 more schools…</p>

<p>Tejana13</p>

<p>I would look in the financial aid forum for more info on how you leverage. Last year I read about it but could not find that thread quickly and did not have time to look further. Another website which I use for college information is the college solution by Lynn O’Shaunessy (sp??). She is a financial writer whose speciality is college issues. I quickly checked her blog and saw that she is discussing the leverage issue this week. I know she has also written about it in the past. Here is the link to this week’s discussion. [5</a> Things You Need to Know About College Loans | The College Solution Blog](<a href=“http://www.thecollegesolutionblog.com/6-things-you-need-to-know-about-college-loans/]5”>5 Things You Need to Know About College Loans | The College Solution Blog)</p>

<p>I can give you my neighbor’s experience as an example. Her son two years ago was acceped to two private colleges. The second choice college gave them $7k more in financial aid than the first choice. She called the FA office of the first choice and told them her son really wanted to go there but financially the family could not turn down the extra $7k a year since they had other children who would be going to college in the future. She went on to say how much her son loved the first choice and could they do anything to match or at least come close to the second choice FA package. If not then the son would have to go to the second choice college. First choice got back and offered $5K more a year which then made it a viable option. Son took first choice up on their offer and is now a sophmore at first choice. Like you said it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Your son has some nice scholarships which could be used to leverage. I am opptomistic for you that the ivy will come through with a good fa package. It seems the ivies really have the money to improve the FA packages since they raised the level of income for need-based scholarships and they no longer include loans in their offerings. I know that is the case for Yale and Princeton and it may be for the other ivies. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>First, congrats to all on those fabulous offers (and best luck on pending offers!)
I should probably post on the financial aid forum but I’ll ask here. Can a parent turn down the loan parts of a financial aid offer and accept the freebies without jeopardizing the original offer? D was offered about $22k in aid, incl one $5k fed loan and $2k fed work study. I am reluctant to take the fed loan and think I could possibly borrow from a family member at a lower interest rate. Work study…I think D might be able to consider that in her spring semester but I think it might be a lot to ask her to work that first semester when she is adjusting to everything new. (On the other hand, it would be a good way to meet people)
Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Yes, you can choose whether or not to take loans separate from the rest of the FA package, and many people do this. </p>

<p>I think it’s a good idea to let your D start school and settle in before she gets a WS position, as she can start any time she wants, even part way through her first semester. The possible drawbacks are that there might be less selection in WS positions later, and possibly not using up all of her WS allotment by the end of the year.</p>

<p>Lots of decisions coming out today, good luck to everyone!</p>