HL Math

I am taking HL math next year as a rising senior in the IB Program. Last year I took AP Calc AB and got a 5, and I also took business calculus at my local community college. Speaking to a Wharton admissions officer she stressed the importance of Calc. So I am signed up to take Calc 2 at my local college along with HL Math. But what exactly does HL math cover and is their any other classes that will better supplement my application.

@Austen2 ok if you got a 5 on AP Calc AB and took another calc class, you’re gonna be completely fine. HL math is literally for rocket scientist smart kids that just “get” math. From what I’ve heard, it’s an extremely difficult version of calc (I say extremely because most people can’t understand it; I’m only taking SL) and goes super, super in depth.

Are you taking IB as a complete program though? You should definitely do that if you can; go to their site or if you’re confused, just pm me or something. If not, take AP classes.

I am in the IB program. So should I take Calc 2 or Linear Algebra to prove to Ivies that I am good at math? Thanks for the response!

HL math should be more than sufficient for Wharton’s purposes. You can find out the content fairly easily with a simple Google search, but here’s one link as a starter:

http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Math%20HL.pdf

HL covers a number of topics in fairly rigorous detail, including advanced algebra, calculus, and probability and statistics. The calculus depth is generally considered comparable to the BC level. You also have to choose one of 4 options to study in more detail: calculus, probability & statistics, sets and groups, and discrete mathematics. The syllabus is described in more detail in the link.

If you have any questions, you should contact Wharton, but I doubt there would be any issue.

get a predicted 7 in HL Math, there should be no problem in applying to any majors in any school.