Holy Smokes! Hotels are booked for next year's game against Florida

<p>Very few hotels are left…mostly only the fleabag ones. Super8 is charging $340 per night. lol</p>

<p>Crazy.</p>

<p>I know! I was way behind this year and did not book parents weekend in time :frowning:
SO wish the condo we found this year was not rented out for full time student use :(</p>

<p>We all just need to pitch in and buy a big house close to campus and make it our own place to stay. One of those big houses with 8 bedrooms being used by a bunch of frat guys now that needs some TLC. </p>

<p>And to think that every time a new hotel is proposed in Tuscaloosa all of the residents throw a hissy fight saying there are plenty. HA! There are not near enough hotel rooms in that town. Tuscaloosa is busy year round. You can hardly book a room at a decent place IN town for any weekend for the next year.</p>

<p>Should book something for a game next year for what is hopefully senior year.</p>

<p>Good luck! I already looked and everything is pretty much booked. I am sure all the a&m aggies already have every room booked within 100 miles for that game. Then it is a long road trip till the games at home close to Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>I keep telling DH that T-town would be a great place to retire to and open a B&B–Bed/B’fast, Bacon/Booze. :slight_smile: One of the few college towns I’ve been to that didn’t have any Bed &Breakfast inns. But seeing as how retirement is at least 20 years away I guess I’ll keep dreaming.</p>

<p>Missread - [Tuscaloosa</a> Vacation Rental - VRBO 258233 - 5 BR AL Bed And Breakfast, Bama B&B - I Have ‘Last-Minute’ Options for You!!](<a href=“http://www.vrbo.com/258233]Tuscaloosa”>Bama Lakeside Retreat - Gameroom, Pools, Lake, decorated for Christmas! - Tuscaloosa County)</p>

<p>I had not seen that on VRBO! I would love to open an inn within walking distance of campus/stadium. Something like this! Even if it only operated on game weekends, preview, move-in etc. it could be quite profitable. <a href=“http://www.andyturnerproperties.com/idx/residential/86601/details.html[/URL]”>http://www.andyturnerproperties.com/idx/residential/86601/details.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>DH may be retiring soon. Very soon :slight_smile: I’ve told him that with that buyout $ we need to go into student housing and game day rentals. Trying to find something in T-Town w/in walking distance is non existent. The ones for sale are not going to sell at the listed price as they are way too high and the mortgage would be well over the anticipated income.</p>

<p>The one I referenced has been for sale for a long time—way overpriced but excellent location. Both of our kids will be out of college (hopefully!) the year we both turn 50, so we have a lonnnggg time till retirement!</p>

<p>I was shocked when my VRBO condo started getting inquiries within the last several days for next season, so I looked online and found out that next year’s schedule was booked at many hotels. This is very early. </p>

<p>For this year’s season, the earliest inquiry/booking I got was last winter for the LSU game. This is getting crazy.</p>

<p>The number of hotel beds in the city is an issue. there are a large number of vacancies during “low season” times which is probably the city’s concern. The reason that the rates are so crazy during any high season time is to pay for the rest of the year when occupancy is low. </p>

<p>It’s very hard to find reasonably priced places close to the univ to purchase. I’ve been looking for another to buy and so far, everything is either priced too high or needs too much work. It’s hard to find a place where the rental income will pay for the place (mortgage, taxes, upkeep, housekeeping, etc).</p>

<p>That lovely B and B listed in post 6 is towards Moundville…so it is a distance away. Lovely and amazing.</p>

<p>I was able to phone Microtel on Veterans Memorial and book a double queen room for the A&M game. This is an important one for us as my stepdaughter is an Aggie :). </p>

<p>Note that the ‘bargain’ price for this weekend is $375/night at Microtel. :o</p>

<p>Holy Moly!!! What’s the Hampton Inns rate? $600 night?</p>

<p>^LOL, probably. Actually not sure if we’ll end up going at this price, but at least we’ll have the option. Cancellation is 30 days prior, so sure there will be rooms opening up in late September 2014.</p>

<p>Makes me think, when is 2016 graduation/commencement for engineering? Should probably book now.</p>

<p>Missread, I love that house. I’ll be your first customer when you open, and I’ll bedazzle you a “Booze and Bacon” logo apron. </p>

<p>It is an expensive time to be a UA parent in terms of visiting, especially if you want to attend a football game.</p>

<p>I’ve started a spreadsheet to keep track of all my Tuscaloosa reservations. Thankful to all of you for the heads up on early booking!</p>

<p>I’ve been looking for the past month or so for my guess at Family weekend (9/26-28) & move-in (Aug 15-17) weekend and have been surprised by the no rooms available and the rates. I thought I would be ahead of the game, sadly no :frowning: </p>

<p>I finally opted for the Wingate for family weekend, rate of $127 & you can cancel 30 days before.</p>

<p>I booked move in back in August. WHEW! </p>

<p>Birmingham hotels are sounding better and better!</p>

<p>Holy Moly!!! What’s the Hampton Inns rate? $600 night?</p>

<p>Probably…Capstone is probably $1000 a night.</p>

<p>For those getting “bargain” reservations now…be sure to get something assured that that is the price. I got advance reservations once (can’t remember which hotel) and then was contacted about 3 months before the game and was told that the price was now double and that I had to pay in full for 2 nights within a week or two. </p>

<p>For the top SEC games, expect to pay $400+ per night per room in the nicer Tuscaloosa venues (the ones within a few of miles of the school)</p>

<p>Birmingham hotels are sounding better and better!</p>

<p>I got a call from a Calif family who just got LSU tix and can’t find lodging. I steered them to B’ham and even that’s an issue. They’re desperate, but they’re a party of 6 so they’d need two hotel rooms, so they were hoping that my condo (sleeps 7 in beds) was available. My condo booked for the LSU game last winter.</p>

<p>If anyone is going this year on a non highly desired game weekend, let me know as we found a 4 bedroom 4 1/2 bath condo that is in a PRIMO location (literally walk to ANYTHING on campus). The price was very reasonable and it is a very nice condo and brand new. The owner did not get it completed in time to lease out for this years students but all 3 units are already leased out for next year. If several moms and daughters want to share it for Preview Weekend it would be an awesome location! </p>

<p>For BHM you almost have to go into Hoover or Mountain Brook. More hotels and nicer.</p>