Holy Smokes! Hotels are booked for next year's game against Florida

<p>This is crazy! Last year I did not book move out until December and booked move in in January…I just checked and there is NO availability for either! What in the world is going on?</p>

<p>I tried to book a random weekend in April, when Relay for Life is and there is no availability then either. More hotels are needed…especially as the University expands in size.</p>

<p>It IS bad!</p>

<p>There was a hotel proposed within the last month to be constructed on 15th St but was denied. The comments underneath it were blasting saying there was no need for more hotels and student housing. An extended stay hotel from the Hilton family was recently approved for the downtown area. Again, this one was seen with much disdain by residents. SAD! And to think that Tuscaloosa was recently lauded as being a top spot in the south for conventions. Not if there are not enough beds for them it is not. No way can you book a large convention in T-town when parents and future parents can not even get a room in town.</p>

<p>I think part of the problem is there are people that just sit and book every single weekend, especially in the fall, not knowing when the football games are. Might be why the hotels are demanding a large deposit be prepaid.</p>

<p>Interesting read in todays Tuscaloosa News concerning student housing.</p>

<p>[Troubling</a> trends seen in student housing | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“Obama lashes Republicans as government reopens”>Obama lashes Republicans as government reopens)</p>

<p>Basically, the city and residents are saying no more to student housing.
Sad when we are already battling it out for quality and safe housing for next year.
As the university continues to expand and now has their sights on growing the grad schools more apartments near campus are going to be needed.</p>

<p>Buzymom3, malania had posted a thread on here I think early April-ish. Many hotels for move out (graduation) were already booked then. I wound up booking a condo. </p>

<p>I agree with some of the sentiments in that article TxNCM linked - I am concerned about the number of units being built assuming UA growth rate is sustained at the current level.</p>

<p>My opinion only - I think the rate of building and real estate market in T-town is going to crash. The school is great, football team doing exceptionally well right now. Think about what happens if Saban leaves, a sanction is imposed on the football team, we have a less than stellar QB next year, an opposing coach puts together a powerhouse rival team, etc. The rental market is going to take a hit, especially for those high-priced football weekends.</p>

<p>This does not surprise me, considering that it is so rare that Alabama actually plays a quality opponent.</p>

<p>Slippy…would you like some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes:</p>

<p>BTW…is Slippy short for Slip n Fall?</p>

<p>It’s very hard to book “move out” because it’s the same time as Spring graduation. Grads have relatives coming into town for the weekend. My condo booked for Spring 2014 Graduation over a year ago. And, I could have booked it many times over with all the requests.</p>

<p>If anyone is going this year on a non highly desired game weekend, let me know as we found a 4 bedroom 4 1/2 bath condo that is in a PRIMO location (literally walk to ANYTHING on campus). The price was very reasonable and it is a very nice condo and brand new.</p>

<p>Did they raise their price? It’s $940 per night with a minimum 3 night stay (SEC nights $1440 per night)</p>

<p>Hmmm… a Winnebago is actually starting to sound like a good idea :D</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>There’s a reason that so many do drive RVs to Ttown.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s a very good idea. I had accidentally booked two hotels for move-in this year and only noticed it when I was searching email confirmations to cancel a reservation so I could take one of linnylu’s extra rooms at another place.</p>

<p>So much for wanting to use Hilton points, anytime that my daughter goes to school in Tuscaloosa, for a free stay in town.</p>