Homeschool to Ivy League

I know homeschoolers that got into MIT, Cornell, Columbia, Stanford, CMU, Rice, … So yes, homeschoolers can get accepted to Ivys.

If Ivy is your goal (I too fail to see the appeal of expensive prestige; it was all about merit for us), then the question to ask isn’t what SAT is needed but what it is that your child has to offer to the school. What makes them a strong candidate? What makes them stand out?

It’s important to realize that many parents homeschool not because that’s what they always wanted to do, but because school wasn’t good fit for their child or/and couldn’t provide them with the right education. This includes many highly gifted children who excelled in college classes, competitions, research, etc. during their high school years. Many of them make excellent candidates for Ivy League schools.

4 Likes

But you can get a good sense of how well you will do by taking a timed practice test on an official downloaded test. Not a huge time commitment and a good indicator of whether to go ahead and take the real test, or study, or not bother at all.

2 Likes

I think your strategy makes sense and your kid has a great score. I don’t think that will be the thing that makes a major difference in outcomes. Many kids with perfect test scores experience blood baths on Ivy Day. But your student sounds like a very strong applicant, so best of luck!

I also wanted to say that I don’t agree with the other opinion that kids who don’t want to prep for the ACT would be less likely to thrive at competitive schools. Sometimes kids are just burnt out from test taking, all the demands of high school and activities, and have other priorities. I have two kids who did very little to no prep for the ACT, got into competitive colleges and did great in college.

3 Likes

I have two kids ( diff ages) who walked into the test Sat morning and took it cold. Got 34 and 36. There is no issue with doing poorly in college. They are ok.

2 Likes

@elena13 Thank you for the feedback!

@Jazzy321 Thank you for the response! Can you share how you know that Brown loves homeschoolers? Thanks!

1 Like

@Compmom Thank you! What two Ivies did your talented kids go to? Did they enjoy their time there?

i will PM you @MaizeandBlue1234

1 Like

Brown’s open curriculum is a continuation of self directed learning of homeschoolers. They welcome that. Yale and Stanford though accepted homeschoolers, it less homeschool friendly.

I believe these schools look at homeschoolers as a whole just like schools in a region.

1 Like

I have seen two websites cite the statistic that Stanford accepts 27% of homeschoolers versus 5% overall. We are not applying to Stanford but wanted to share this statistic with the group (I have not sourced the origins of this data).

@Jazzy321 we continue to hear good things about Brown! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

I tried to trace the origins of this oft repeated statistic and it appears to come from a single year admissions over 20 years ago when less than 40 homeschoolers applied and the overall admissions rate to Stanford was around 15%.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for sharing. I tracked it down. It is from a Sep 3 2000 article in Time that shares that Stanford accepted 26% of the 35 homeschoolers that applied. Nevertheless, I think it is safe to say that Stanford and Brown are two of the most homeschool friendly highly selective colleges.

Even recognizing how out of date that is, homeschoolers at a place like Stanford may include elite athletes as well.

7 Likes

I wanted to come back to this thread to share our experience this past year (note, I am not the OP; this is in response to their post).

My son has been homeschooled since 4th grade due to a desire for accelerated coursework. He has an extensive programming portfolio of graduate-level CS work (but, perhaps notably, did not know about or compete in any of the large national coding competitions that you see referenced in some of these discussions) and has a paid part-time job as a lead developer in his group at an international tech company. His boss wrote a glowing LOR for him. His first two years of highschool (like many others) were disrupted due to the pandemic, but he spent that time working on a family farm, and was able to discuss that in his essays and ECs. Despite that, he had a rigorous transcript. His unweighted GPA was 4.0 (all from outside providers) with 9 AP classes and 3 DE courses at 2 ivy league schools. 1590 SAT, Presidential Scholars Candidate, NMS. Strong essays and we believe his other LORs (from college professors) were strong as well.

He applied to 5 ivies and was rejected by 4 (including Penn, after an initial deferral, where he applied ED and where both parents have legacy) and waitlisted at 1. Brown, referenced earlier as being friendly to homeschoolers, was another one of the rejections.

He also applied to MIT, Caltech, and Stanford and was rejected from all 3. A few other rejections, some surprising, some less so.

He was waitlisted at a few very strong CS schools (UW, CMU, GA Tech, NYU) but the recommendation is not to depend upon coming off any of those waitlists, so we’re not.

He did get into U Michigan Engineering, but his direct entry to CS decision was “postponed” until “early April.” We haven’t heard yet. It seems a little silly for him to attend a school where he’s literally not allowed to major in CS when it’s his passion and he could frankly do it in his sleep, but U Michigan is an excellent school and it’s one of his best options, so it is still on the table.

He was also accepted to RPI and UF (we are in-state for FL), which are both good choices, as well as a few other schools he is considering. It’s not all bad news, and this is not a “feel sad for us” post. We know that all of the schools he was rejected from are a “reach for everyone,” especially for CS, and he is evaluating his options now (he will likely take a gap year to continue working, as he really enjoys his job, and plan to start college next fall). But since you asked about homeschoolers and ivy league admissions, I wanted to share our experience.

I’ve heard a lot throughout our homeschool journey that colleges “love homeschoolers,” and my advice is not to bank on that. If you look at the statistics, at most of these schools, homeschoolers make up less than 1% of their admissions, which is considerably lower than the 2% of high school students who are homeschooled. Based on that, I do think there may still be some bias against homeschoolers in college admissions. Did that affect our applications this year? It’s hard to say of course, but it seems likely that it was at least a factor.

To be clear, we (and most importantly, my son) still feel homeschooling was absolutely the best choice for him, and wouldn’t go back and change that. But I think it’s important to know that college admissions may be more difficult as a result, and to be prepared for any outcome. Apply to safeties, apply to even safer safeties (because a lot of things we think are “safeties” really aren’t), and ideally fall in love with some of them, so if your reaches don’t work out, you’re not heartbroken or scrambling. If I could go back and do anything differently, it would be that: put more emphasis on not just being OK with, but falling in love with and getting truly excited about at least one of our “safer” schools. I think this point in the process would be much easier if we had managed to do that. It is harder to shift gears after all the rejections to get to that point, but we’re working on it. :heart: Good luck!

15 Likes

Thanks for the update on your journey. I know it will be helpful for others. Computer science is truly one of those majors that you can be successful in from a large number of schools, not just top-tier ones. With your son‘s résumé and drive my prediction is he will seek out opportunities to succeed wherever he goes. The advice I’ve received on gap years is chances generally don’t go up with the super reach schools when you take them, so weigh that option carefully.

You have two great admits in RPI and UF and can get wherever you want to go in CS from either of those schools. I would look at finances and fit, pick one and start to get excited about it. You are right, waitlists may not happen and the earlier you can get through the grieving process on what happened and focus on the future the better – saying this from someone who had a kid on a couple of waitlists and didn’t follow this advice!

5 Likes

Thanks! He’s likely to accept admission from one of these schools before the gap year (ie request deferral), and is very unlikely to try applying again to the highly rejective schools. He’s kind of “over it” at this point :heart: if he does re-apply, it will only be very selectively to schools which are a match AND which he’s excited about.

1 Like

OP- your son sounds terrific and I’m sure he’ll knock the cover off the ball wherever he lands.

Just a quick note to your statistical analysis-- I know a LOT of people who homeschool and their objective is most definitely not academic rigor. So I think your conclusion about the numbers is not necessarily correct. People who homeschool but their kid is mostly training in tennis and gymnastics. People who homeschool to avoid the “Woke” curriculum in a public HS (they object to sex education and the like) but the kids are seen around town during school hours doing errands for mom and dad and taking care of younger kids. Etc.

So my guess is that a high percentage of homeschoolers do not have anything approaching a rigorous HS, balanced curriculum in math, social studies, history, foreign language, and English lit/composition.

I am a huge RPI fan btw… a terrific environment for a self motivated kid!

Good luck to your son…

5 Likes

Two great choices.

I was surprised to read the homeschool success stories. My hunch would have been that a homeschooler hasn’t regularly integrated and would be a liability. I have no knowledge - and I’m not an AO. That’s just my first thought.

If your son has done grad level CS classes, how would a CS degree help him ? If he’s been working and has this knowledge, he seems like the kind of kid that you can see as your neighbor in a nice home, cars, family only to find out - never went to college. Seems he’s way ahead.

Maybe going for a different major he can combine with his CS knowledge.

Regardless given his experience where he goes likely matters less.

But RPI is a bona fide high level CS name and UF is just a strong name period.

So he’s probably not losing anything by going to either - and that’s b4 his extensive experience that will bring him above almost anyone.

Employers look for experience first and foremost. Far more than the school.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

He sounds like the type that might not need college at all unless he wants it. Even from our ps, some students go straight to work in cs if they already have enough knowledge to do so. He could check with his professors from his classes or his employers/co-workers to see what his options are.

His results from applications, quite honestly, surprise me. It’s been since 2012 when my last homeschooler graduated high school, but in that time period, he, and his academic peers (from online), did very well with acceptances. It makes me wonder if things have changed in the past decade TBH. I’m no longer in the homeschooling world directly.

From school and others I know who are homeschooling, I fully agree with @blossom that oodles of homeschoolers are not pursuing high level secondary education. Community colleges and online schools are preferred by many - or conservative Christian colleges. Even back in “my” day I had to go online to find other parents with true high academic desires for their kids. Locally it was all pretty much anti-public school.

I feel for your guy. Yes, he has two good options, but it still seems like he’s been unlucky IMO.

2 Likes