Honors Classes/Pre Med

<p>I looked at the list for AP credit and Environmental Science wasn’t listed. Should I take the test then?</p>

<p>The credit for that AP has recently been added.</p>

<p>I think Robotbldmom knows what the course credit is.</p>

<p>packalidwy: here is the info from a previous post</p>

<p>05-27-2011, 12:13 AM #8
robotbldmom
Member</p>

<p>Join Date: Sep 2008
Hey guys, sorry that it took so long to post.</p>

<p>Okay as far as Bama is concerned they previously did not give credit for AP Environmental but last year we made inquiries and (long story short) you will get credit for a Geology course: GEO 105 Sustainable Earth, it is a 4 credit course.</p>

<p>This is the course description from the catalog:
GEO 105 Sustainable Earth. 4 hours</p>

<p>Three lectures and one laboratory. Lecture and laboratory provide an understanding of important earth resources (rocks and minerals, soil, water, fossil fuels, alternative energy) and how their utilization by humans impacts the environment. Includes discussion of water pollution, air pollution and waste disposal as primary issues related to resource utilization.</p>

<p>Geology was the department that finally accepted the AP Environmental class.</p>

<p>Hope that helps!!</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>No problem, you’re welcome.</p>

<p>Thanks, y’all, for listing those requirements for not only med school, but other preprofessional schools. There are other “medical” type fields out there that kids may want to look into that don’t want to do med school, or don’t get in. Those kids have taken some tough courses, and it would be good for them to have other options. </p>

<p>I wonder what the requirements are nowadays for pharmacy, nursing, physical therapy, nurse practitioner, med tech. There is probably some overlap for those fields as well. Just a good thing to have in the back of their mind should kids change their majors or career goals as they go along.</p>

<p>The req’ts for pre-pharm and PAs are about the same as pre-med.</p>

<p>The pre-health req’ts can be found here…
[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>BSN is a 4 year deal, but admittance is after 2 years, so the req’ts can be found in the Capstone College of Nursing website. The req’ts for nurse practitioner are there as well.
[Capstone</a> College of Nursing - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://nursing.ua.edu/]Capstone”>http://nursing.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>I wanted to know peoples opinions on whether my schedule would be doable or not for a freshman in the fall. I already received credit for BSC 114, 115, 116, and 117, EN 101 and 102, HY 203 and 204, MATH 125 and 126, and PSC 101 from aps.
My schedule for right now is CH 101, FR 201, PHL 204 (Medical Ethics), PY 105, BSC 385 (Ecology), and I’m doing the freshman learning community on chemistry, energy and the environment. I am also doing pre-med with a major in biology, so I feel like it’s super important to protect my gpa, and this schedule may bring it down.</p>

<p>Yes…it’s very important to protect your GPA.</p>

<p>What do you think will bring it down?</p>

<p>Why are you taking BSC 385? </p>

<p>You need to take a bio that works with pre-med and has a lab. </p>

<p>If you’re going to use the Bio AP, then you need to replace it with 2 Bio classes WITH labs.</p>

<p>You should take something like …</p>

<p>BSC 215 Human Anatomy and Physiology (has a lab)</p>

<p>If not, then you need to retake Principals of Bio.</p>

<p>Med schools insist that you replace AP sciences with higher up classes WITH labs.</p>

<p>Well, I’m somewhat worried because I know chemistry will be hard, and I’m not terrific at french so I’m not sure how that will go. When I was at Bama Bound they suggested I take ecology because it’s a required class for a biology major and I already have all the pre-reqs done to take it, since it doesn’t require a chemistry, only biology and some math that I have credit for.
Also, I was planning on doing the human anatomy and physiology with lab next year, just because it’s more credits and I’m already at 17, which I feel like may be too high for first year, but idk. And then for my other bio lab, I was thinking maybe pathogenic microbiology with lab like my junior year?</p>

<p>Checked with my son today about the difficulty of that Bio Class. He said if you have taken AP Environmental and you scored well, it would probably be fine, if not the class might be tough. Just because it is Ecology that doesn’t make it an easy course.</p>

<p>Oh, I wasn’t suggesting that it was easy.</p>

<p>I was concerned that if he skipped Bio I and II, he might end up without 2 classes with a lab…which are needed for med school.</p>

<p>That said, I would hesitate before I took a 300 hard science class as an incoming frosh pre-med student. Adjusting to college can be difficult…lots of distractions…etc.</p>

<p>I didn’t take ap environmental science, only biology, so I think I’m going to drop Ecology, and that leaves me with 14 credits. Is that enough for the fall semester or would you recommend I add one more class?</p>

<p>There are some freshman seminar classes that are one credit.</p>

<p>A freshman seminar class would be great…like one of those common book classes. Great way to meet people.</p>

<p>Okay, I’ll look into adding one of those. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>This has been a very helpful thread to read through! Any new information to add for 2013?</p>

<p>After reading all the posts - is it feasible for a student to study abroad for a semester? That is a high priority for D - and she was thinking the best time would be spring semester of her sophomore year so she would have her junior year to prep for the MCAT. Noticing that Org Chem II is very likely a class she should take that semester - I’m not sure how likely that would be to work.
Perhaps she should consider the summer between her soph/junior year? But I wonder if that would that still be partially covered through the Presidential Scholarship?</p>

<p>You can’t take ANY premed prereqs abroad…at all. Med schools will not accept them. </p>

<p>If your D wants to do a study abroad, then she might consider doing one over the summer.</p>

<p>another option is to plan on applying to med school after senior year.</p>

<p>My son couldn’t fit in a semester study abroad and do premed and apply after junior year.</p>

<p>You can’t “partially use” a scholarship over the summer. You’d have to give up a semester of the scholarship to use it for summer.</p>

<p>If your D is a typical premed, she’ll take:</p>

<p>Frosh year:</p>

<p>Bio I and II
Gen Chem I and II
Cal I
Frosh Comp I and II</p>

<p>Soph year:
Ochem I and II
Physics I and II
Stats (this year or next year)</p>

<p>Junior year
BioChem