More course reg advice?

<p>S is confused on what he should start with as well, it is a little confusing. He is a psych major, he is also in ihp although not that great in Spanish, 4 years of B’s in hs. Not going to be a great gpa booster, but he felt no matter what he did it would be good to know spanish. may or may not be premed(thanks to m2ck, we have a good handle on what that schedule would look like)</p>

<p>He is going in with
AP Eng
AP Us History
AP Modern European History
AP Stats
AP Envi Sci
Spanish - 4 years (can he get by with 1 year for ihp?)
Eng 102 & Psych 101 (really shouldn’t have even sent these as he didn’t need Eng 102 and it wouldn’t have been bad to take honors psych) Wonder if they would just ignore them if he isn’t using them? It would have been good to start in a small honors psych class if that is going to be your major, oh well.</p>

<p>He has taken precal, but if I were to guess, would probably place into it again. He needs to take cal.
Ideally he would like to start off with a fun 3 credit honors class, maybe a psych class, then add 2 harder classes
I beleive psych 101 & stats are prereq’s for everything else in psych dept. </p>

<p>With AA plus maybe another 1 credit(there was a psych that we saw somewhere) would it be terrible to just take 4 classes- 2, 3 credits and 2, 4 credits? That’s 16 credits?</p>

<p>16 credits is FINE!!! Especially for a first semester frosh. I would never recommend more for an incoming frosh!</p>

<p>For Spanish…he should start with Spanish 103. That’s intensive review Spanish. After completion, it counts for both FL req’ts. Any of the profs with the first name Ana are fine. Son really liked Dr. Ana Skelton…and Laura Rubio…</p>

<p>Most Spanish profs are native speakers. Dr. Skelton is from South America and Rubio is from Spain.</p>

<p>I don’t know if your son would be able to register for honors psych since the school will have his 101 credit already.</p>

<p>That said…now colleges use this one “clearinghouse” and they check to see if your child has college credits anywhere in the US.</p>

<p>As for pre-cal or cal…all you can do is see where he places, then choose. Could he take pre-cal at a CC over the summer?</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck,</p>

<p>I think what would be helpful to know is what core requirements have his APs gotten him out of? I assume History, Literature? If he’s not premed then the Envi Sci counts towards 3 or 6 credits of science? That leaves fine arts?
And if he takes spanish 103, how much more does he need for ihp?</p>

<p>Good point about precal, I guess his grade would transfer but he should be able to do well in a cc course. I was looking for a cal class to audit, but it has been hard to find classes that end so early up here. Good to know about the clearinghouse, I was thinking he could just sign up for a cal class and get to the classes that he could, but if the grade follows him around via the clearinghouse, then I guess not.</p>

<p>*I think what would be helpful to know is what core requirements have his APs gotten him out of? I assume History, Literature? If he’s not premed then the Envi Sci counts towards 3 or 6 credits of science? That leaves fine arts?
*</p>

<p>AP Eng - with a 4, that counts for both Frosh Comp classes
AP Us History - with a 3, it counts for 6 credits of History…and the sequence req’t.
AP Modern European History - with a 3, it counts the same as above
AP Stats - with a 3, it counts for 3 credits of C requirement…Stats 260
AP Envi Sci - I’m not sure if this counts at Bama yet.<br>
[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>there isn’t an AP class that subs for Literature or Fine Arts, and students in Arts and Sciences must have 3 credits for each.</p>

<p>Last year, I think Robotbldmom looked into credit for AP Env Science, and I think she was told that for an AP class to get credit, then a certain dept/class has to “claim it” or something like that. I think she was told that if a dept claimed it, current students would get credit. Hopefully, she’ll post and clarify.</p>

<p>*And if he takes spanish 103, how much more does he need for ihp?
*</p>

<p><a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf&lt;/a&gt; Page 2</p>

<p>103 will count for half of the Foreign Language req’t for IHP. IHP requires 4 semesters…and 103 counts for 2.</p>

<p>My daughter was wondering the same thing about the AP EnvSci. She is a junior in high school and took AP EnvSci this year with exam. She said the AP exam was torture. She’s a little dramatic sometimes. I’m sure that she did great. However, if she decides to attend Bama, the AP EnvSci and exam seem worthless. For her sake, I’m hoping that’s not the case.</p>

<p>Thanks, that answers most of the outstanding questions. Fine arts might be a good first semester selection. I saw on another post that the good literature courses were mostly filled. It seems that S didn’t really maximize his APs, he didn’t really need modern Euro, plus he took Eng 102.
So, 3 semesters of Spanish for ihp. I was looking into the clep, but it wasn’t very convenient, so that will have to do.
If I remember ap env sci was given credit for a 3 credit Geology course last year. I’m not sure if that is the same year to year.
So maybe he is thinking- Span 103, fine arts class or a psych class, math pre cal or cal; & lab science(perhaps the premed bio, as its a weeder class it might give him a good idea if he wants to do it)- I think that will be 15 or 16 credits depending on if he can get into that 1 credit psych thing. That doesn’t look too bad. I think he could take 4 classes a semester and graduate on time. If he was to do premed how bad would that look to only take 4 classes a semester? That would certainly help with the gpa.</p>

<p>*If I remember ap env sci was given credit for a 3 credit Geology course last year. I’m not sure if that is the same year to year.
*</p>

<p>If Bama made this determination this past school year, then it will be the same year to year. I’m hoping that Robotbldmom posts, because I think she knows the latest about this.</p>

<p>* If he was to do premed how bad would that look to only take 4 classes a semester? That would certainly help with the gpa. *</p>

<p>Not bad at all…the total credits is more than full time.</p>

<p>Hey guys, sorry that it took so long to post.</p>

<p>Okay as far as Bama is concerned they previously did not give credit for AP Environmental but last year we made inquiries and (long story short) you will get credit for a Geology course: GEO 105 Sustainable Earth, it is a 4 credit course.</p>

<p>This is the course description from the catalog:
GEO 105 Sustainable Earth. 4 hours</p>

<p>Three lectures and one laboratory. Lecture and laboratory provide an understanding of important earth resources (rocks and minerals, soil, water, fossil fuels, alternative energy) and how their utilization by humans impacts the environment. Includes discussion of water pollution, air pollution and waste disposal as primary issues related to resource utilization.</p>

<p>Geology was the department that finally accepted the AP Environmental class.</p>

<p>Hope that helps!!</p>

<p>Thanks! I knew you’d come to the rescue with the latests and greatest info.</p>

<p>So…good…AP Environmental Science now provides 4 credits for Geo 105 Sustainable Earth!!!</p>

<p>That DOES count for 4 credit hours of Natural Science!</p>

<p>Yes, not bad huh?</p>

<p>DD will be so excited to learn that Bama gives credit for AP EnvSci. Thanks for the great news!! Heading to T-town in the morning to drop DD off for CSHP. Giddy times around here ;)</p>

<p>Safe travels to you!!! We are jealous…this time last year we were gearing up to leave for Bama Bound…exciting times!</p>

<p>I agree ahpimommy. I miss the excitement of the new experiences we were going through last year. Even though I attended UA myself it was still new since so many of the procedures have changed in the last 20 years.</p>

<p>It really is an exciting time and I hope this years crop of parents & students enjoy it as much as we did. Before you know it you’ll be sitting here next year like we are wondering how the heck that year went by so fast. </p>

<p>Don’t stress, any problems or issues can and will be easily fixed. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>I think we are getting it, a couple of final questions?</p>

<p>Spanish 103 will fulfill the language requirement totally if he doesn’t do IHP? He told me today he would probably not do premed & ihp</p>

<p>Does Cal 1 math 125 fulfill the core math requirement? Is it one semester only? He is going to try to get into that through the placement test since he’s had precal.</p>

<p>I think he should take either cal or bio honors first semester. He’s not great at math, but y’all have said that the class isn’t necessarily harder. I’m thinking perhaps he’ll get more personal attention, or doesn’t it matter and is this an online class anyway?
How hard is the premed version of Honors Bio? Is it harder than the regular premed bio?</p>

<p>He believes he is going to try for: Span 103, Cal 1, Bio & perhaps a Fine Arts class or psych class. For only taking 4 classes the first 3 will be pretty tough for him. But, I think if he can get math & spanish out of the way, then he can concentrate on the science classes going forward. With those two classes he has fulfilled the req’ts for A&S in language and math, right?</p>

<p>Yes, SP 103 fulfills both FL req’ts.</p>

<p>Yes, Cal I fulfills the Math Core Req’t</p>

<p>6. 11 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences and mathematics (N & MA) designations, to include 8 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences (N) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the mathematics (MA) designation. This mathematics requirement must be satisfied with MATH 110 or higher.</p>

<p>As for pre-med…Your son doesn’t have to make a firm decision right now. And, he doesn’t have to take any harder math classes for pre-med. Cal I is enough. Stats is recommended, but that’s easier than Cal 1. </p>

<p>*I think he should take either cal or bio honors first semester. He’s not great at math, but y’all have said that the class isn’t necessarily harder. I’m thinking perhaps he’ll get more personal attention, or doesn’t it matter and is this an online class anyway?
*</p>

<p>NO…not online. Those classes are taught in class by a prof. Only the sub Math classes are online…like those that are below Math 110. the math classes that are considered to be “high school” math classes are online. The college level math classes are taught in class.</p>

<p>I think Honors Bio is with Dr. Guy Caldwell who is excellent. Or, perhaps his wife Dr. Kim Caldwell teaches it. both are great. These two live and breathe bio and research. Working in The Caldwell Lab is an honor. </p>

<p>*How hard is the premed version of Honors Bio? Is it harder than the regular premed bio?
*</p>

<p>Not sure what you’re asking. There isn’t a “pre-med bio” pre se…but there is bio and honors bio that students who are pre-med, bio majors, have to take. </p>

<p>I doubt the honors version of Principals of Bio is “tougher” than the regular version. They may move more quickly, or go into more depth, or something like that. If your child has a strong bio foundation, then he shouldn’t fear the honors version. </p>

<p>*Span 103, Cal 1, Bio & perhaps a Fine Arts class or psych class. For only taking 4 classes the first 3 will be pretty tough for him. But, I think if he can get math & spanish out of the way, then he can concentrate on the science classes going forward. With those two classes he has fulfilled the req’ts for A&S in language and math, right? </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Yes. :)</p>