Honors Students in Fraternities

Do y’all feel like a large majority of students in Greek life are non-honors?

In as non-offensive way as possible, are people in fraternities generally the lower scoring students at Alabama?

I am trying to convince my dad the reasons for joining a fraternity. He was never involved in Greek life and see little value in it. His image of fraternities is a bunch of lesser intelligent students who are going to drop out.

What I’ve said is not true, right?

I went to a honors visit at UA and they said like 32% of hinohonors is Greek and 35% of honors is Greek.

Let me suggest that you check out the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life website: ofsl.sa.ua.edu/ and, in addition, the Alabama Interfraternity Council website: alabamaifc.com/main.html On the OFSL site, look under Resources and click on Reports. that will give you grade statistics for the past 13 semesters. The all-fraternity GPA is slightly higher than the all-undergraduate GPA.
UA (and most college) are serious about Greeks being a complement to university life that reinforces academinic standards. A fraternity (or sorority) whose overall GPA dips repeatedly won’t stay on campus. Greek Life and individual Greek groups celebrate and honor excellent grades with awards and scholarships.
In addition, fraternity life teaches leadership skills. Here are a couple of helpful articles: www.businessinsider.com/dont-ban-fraternities-2014-1
nicindy.org/press/fraternity-statistics/

You could also talk to the folks at the OFSL, even arrange for your dad to chat with them and ask questions. And it’s entirely possible to sit out your first year, and pledge the second year.

Ultimately, fraternity life is NOT for everyone, but it can be a wonderful way to get a fuller, more rounded education at college.
Good luck, and Roll Tide!

I was a member of a Fraternity as an undergrad and my particular house earned the Dean’s Trophy 3 of the 4 years I was on campus. The largest component was academic performance. It also included leadership (we had many members in the student government, including the president), philanthropy and sports.

Staying an “active member” of my fraternity required me to stay on top of my studies. Failure to do so would mean being de-activated (still a member but not allowed to participate).

Academics are very important to the Fraternities and Sororities as they want to attracted the most talented people at the university!

@Jpgranier My son is thinking about attending UA next year and he is a reasonably good student; if he attends he will be a Presidential Scholar. He intends to rush.

From my experience at Ole Miss, the Greek system is full of people who aren’t that into academics. But it also has a tremendous number of high achievers. In my opinion, members of Greek organizations are much more well rounded; they learn the skills to work well with others in a mid-size organization and they just meet and interact with lots of people.

It’s certainly possible for Greek obligations to interfere with your school work. Far more likely is that you will benefit from having some people looking over your shoulder your freshman year. Just do it.

@EarlVanDorn thanks for the advice!

Do you know the pricing? No one in my family has gone greek so they aren’t sure.

I’ve heard of outrageous pricing like 5k a semester. Is that correct? I’m having trouble finding anything online.

@Jpgranier I really don’t know the pricing. I do know that students who pledge are released from the forced Alabama meal plan so that they can participate in the Greek Meal plan. It is much more enjoyable being able to eat with a group of friends than in the cafeteria. The downside is that there is less flexibility, and if you miss a meal you have to buy out of pocket. I know that my fraternity at Ole Miss charges substantially less per semester for housing than the university. The point I’m making is that when you start to calculate costs, understand the benefits. If you are in a fraternity you WILL be more active and spend more, and buy t-shirts, etc. But it need not put you in the poor house.

With this said, I think dues at Alabama vary substantially. You will need to find out during the rush process.

I know rush forms are staying to open with certain fraternities at Bama though so you definitely need to be proactive about joining.

@soyunchico I’m not familiar with Greek terms haha. What are “rush forms”?

@Jpgranier just a way to get on the fraternities rush list so you can contact eahother. I’m pretty sure but I could be wrong

@Jpgranier - Here is a cost page on the Alabama interfraternity council (IFC) page.

http://alabamaifc.com/financial-information.html

Each Fraternity will be different but this is a good estimate. Note that they include a meal plan.

On another note, my nephew joined a fraternity at UT Austin and was active for 3 years maintaining a 4.0 GPA in Pre-Med. It was hard to balance both the social and academic activities but he was successful and is now getting ready for Med School.

Earl vanDorn said:

Unfortunately that is no longer true. Beginning this fall, all students pledging Greek groups providing meals are switched to the Greek 55 plan, but they cannot opt out. It IS possible to use up the 55 meals per semester. Houses only serve meals Monday through Friday lunch. The trick is getting the student to go to the dining halls and use it! They tend to get pickier as the semester goes by, and skip meals. They could always go eat at Bryant, which I understand costs more than 1 swipe but is apparently the best of the dining halls.

It’s important to note that the first semester is the most expensive, because there are usually additional, one-time fees for pledging, initiation, badge, house corporation etc.

There are a few fraternities that have houses that don’t serve meals, and a few that have no house. Those will be much cheaper.

@Southlander are you saying you have to participate in the Greek 55 and the unlimited meal plan?

My understanding is if you go greek, you take the greek 55 and eat at your fraternities’ house

Do you pay the 3400 new student fee plus two semesters of fees your first year?

I think I could definitely talk my parents into paying for it if I were to stay in the house because it’s decently priced, but on average almost 5k a year to not live there? Does that include the greek 55 and food at the house?

Greek students who have a meal plan in their houses can downgrade from the rather expensive All-Access meal plan required of freshmen to the Greek 55 meal plan. You don’t have to have both. I think what Southlander is referring to is the fact that there is no longer the option that existed in prior years to drop the mealplan altogether for a fee.

Yes, last year you could pay a $200-something fee and opt out of the university-require meal plan, but that is no longer the case.

If you pledge, you are automatically switched from whatever plan you signed up for to the Greek 55, and you also eat at your house. As far as other fees and dues, it depends on the fraternity, but I would expect each semester’s fees to be charged at each semester, not all at once. The Greek 55 payment goes to the university. Payment for house meals goes to the house. $3452 new student fee - that would be your cost for your first semester, and should include meals as well as all those one-time fees when you pledge. Then $2409 a semester thereafter, if you don’t live in the house.
Please note that in most cases, you cannot move into the house during your first year. You must live in university housing. So the living in cost would start your sophomore year - IF you are able to move in. Some houses may have room, some might not.
Fraternities cost so much because somebody pays for all those band parties.
When you talk to fraternity guys, be sure to ask if there are other fees, like security costs or party assessments.You’ll be buying T shirts, too, and those can mount up if you buy every T shirt offered (you don’t have to!).

And remember that those are AVERAGE costs - half the fraternities will cost MORE, half will cost less - but probably not much less, and there may be more fees to pay.

There are limited spots in the houses and they are usually reserved for upperclassmen, many choose not to live in the houses at all, some of the older ones are not as comfortable as off-campus accommodations.

Don’t forget the professional fraternities like the Engineering Theta Tau…lower dues, yes they have a house and it’s a house full of high stats people:-) Not sure if there are others.

I forget her name now, but the Honors College administrator we met with had been very involved with her sorority while a student at UA. I would NOT assume just because someone goes Greek that they’re not serious about their academics.

@LucieTheLakie Blonde lady named Susan Dendy??

@Jpgranier, I believe so! She was single then, but I’m pretty sure she got married about a year after we met her. She’s a dynamo.