Opinion about Greek Life at Alabama

Hello. My daughter is considering UA, but she is concerned about the high percentage of people in the Greek system. Right now, she doesn’t think that she wants to join a sorority. Does anyone on this board have experience with being non-Greek at UA? Thanks for your help!

It’s been a very long time ago, but I started out as a non-Greek and then pledged halfway through fall semester. Overall, non-Greeks vastly outnumber Greeks - 2/3 Independent to 1/3 Greek. However, among freshman women, I’ve seen a stat that some 55% are Greek. That changes as the semester wears on and some sorority (and fraternity) members decide that it’s not for them. Second semester and second year, you’re more likely to run into Independents. But it can be a little bit more concerning that first semester.

My daughter graduated from Bama last year and is currently a grad student. She had little interest in Greek life and did not join a sorority. Her social life was different from that of women in sororities (she wasn’t attending fraternity parties or Thursday night swaps), but she had plenty of friends and was happy with her social life. She participated in one of the “Actions” that takes place the same week as sorority recruitment and she met a number of friends and acclimated to campus during that. I would highly recommend one of the Actions or Camp 1831 to students who are not going through recruitment. She did join the professional business fraternity, which had both professional and social events, as a sophomore.

Yes, to an incoming freshman, that first semester (particularly) it seems that “almost everyone” is Greek (it’s very “visible”). Yes, lots of freshmen women do pursue Greek life, particularly in the last couple of years. Southlander (#1 above) is right, though, with what she said! My son loved his time at UA, but he did say that he wished it was a little less Greek overall. The Honors Action programs - which take place just before school starts freshman year - are WONDERFUL, and many students start great, lasting friendships during that week! And I’ve heard very good things about Camp 1831 as well. Best wishes!

It’s worth looking into, visit the houses, talk to alumni, get a full picture before deciding.

My daughter will be starting at UA in the fall. During her initial research, she was also concerned about the perception of so much Greek life. After our 2 visits, (one of which included University Days and an activity fair) and meeting some people on campus, she is comfortable with her decision to attend and not go Greek. So many opportunities on campus to get involved in clubs and activities! She has connected with others online to be potential roommates, focusing on some who will not be rushing, either. Good luck with your daughter’s decision!

@Momof2TX, I think it’s a good idea to focus on potential roommates who will not be rushing. My daughter did the same when she was an entering freshman. She didn’t want to be living with girls who would never be around or available to do things with her because they would be busy with their sorority sisters and Greek life. That’s not to say that she never had friends who were Greek - she did - but girls who are in sororities tend to be very busy with their sororities early on.