Horrible

<p>Wow this thread really makes me rethink Purdue. Is the Krannert School really that disorganized? I find it hard to believe that a top ranked business school would be that inefficient in sorting out classes. I've lived in major cities all my life - is the transition from city -> midwestern Purdue that great?</p>

<p>yeah, i've been around major cities such as philadelphia and new york city all my life, and i'm thinking that i'll have trouble adjusting to west lafayette..</p>

<p>Going to a state school in the midwest is much like jury duty or getting a drivers
license.........try not to judge the quality of the department by the staffers.</p>

<p>Yes, the advisors are not well informed and so will you if you depend on their limited knowledge of the program.</p>

<p>It will be daunting for the coming freshmen. It is a huge school with thousands of students and some hundreds in just Krannert School of Business.</p>

<p>Another bad side of Purdue is that, just like any other big schools, your classes are widely spread out and sometimes you will find yourself running everyday and still can't quite make the classes in time. Plus, the severe winter in West Lafayette might not be in your favor especially when you have 7:30 AM classes which many of you will have. I've seen people with their schedules starting from 2:00 in the afternoon. However, you will most likely be stuck with the early morning classes.</p>

<p>Unless you are a Sophomore standing, you will be studying in different academic halls spread through out the campus. You might have Management 100 course at the newly constructed management building connected to the old one. The newly constructed management building is by so far the bestest academic building I've been to in Purdue. Many of you will be excited to do well and hopefully take upper-classmen courses at that building.</p>

<p>I do not want to scare off people from applying to Purdue. But I am warning you guys that the transition from the big cities like New York City to W. Lafayette could hit you big time. You might say, even if I live in New York City, I don't do so much exciting things anyway, so what's the big deal? No, you will feel very different once you arrive there. </p>

<p>Firstly the kids are different. Their conversations differ from the onse I have with my friends here. I cannot quite pin down to exactly how they are different, but there are just minor differences that collectively make them very different friends. However, people in the Midwest are some very kind people. You won't feel so left out though unless you block yourself away from them. I am still keeping contact with my best friends in Purdue.</p>

<p>Here, I am not saying that Krannert is disastrous. Krannert is surely a rising star in the business program. But the current ADVISORS are far from satisfactory. So, to the people who decided to attend Purdue, especially Krannert, once you arrive there, participate in the Gold Rush program (which starts before the classes start and this is a great opportunity to make friends and get to know about Purdue more in depth). </p>

<p>College advisors are not like the ones from your high schools. High school advisors are evaluated, and I am sure the college advisors too are evaluated, however, they are not quite excited about helping you through every obstacle you might face. They do advise you, but in the case of Kranert, they were no way helpful at all but messed up a lot.</p>

<p>When you go to Purdue or any other college, TRY to talk to and make friends with as many people as possible. </p>

<p>I also want to say that there is an on-line assignment called, "ilrn" or "i-learn", and it's for the math courses. The website where you do your math homeworks and sometimes even quiz is EXTREMELY SLOW AND HARD TO MANAGE. I've seen a lot of my friends who struggle with typing special mathematical symbols into the on-line assignment, and I've seen people who often have hard time logging into the program which resulted in late work.</p>

<p>So if you have assignments on-line, be sure to do as soon as possible and be sure to reach for any help if you struggle with it. This program is not the nicest on-line homework application you want. It's got many bugs and problems with the application itself.</p>

<p>Ask me about anything...Believe me, because of what I had to go through, I know quite a lot about Purdue in and out. So ask me. </p>

<p>I seem like I am only complaining about Purdue and this might seem like I have personal hatred towards the school. I have no problem with Purdue. I am done with that school. And there are also many many good side about Purdue.</p>

<p>Please do not be misled by my posts. Purdue is, overall, a very good school. The quality of its academic programs are challenging. You might think that public schools are easier than the private schools. Not Purdue. Purdue does accept a large portion of its applicants each year. And it also kicks out a large number of students. Don't be fooled in thinking that Purdue is just another easy public school in Midwest. It's not. The school course work will challenge you. In addition to that, because of the sheer hugeness of the school, if you don't adjust yourself well, you will be struggling.</p>

<p>Generally, if you screw up your first year, you are screwed for the next 3 more years or you will be studying your arse off. Do well.</p>

<p>I forgot to say this. If you are looking for jobs in the East Coast, I do not recommend Purdue unless you are sure that you will obtain a future job position in New York or Boston or Philadelphia. If you want to get a job in New York, come to New York area. New York firms do not generally hire college graduates from other regions of the nation with exceptions like the ivy-league or top 20 schools.</p>

<p>Thanks for reading.</p>

<p>Ok, I have to post a reply ;)</p>

<p>My son is at Purdue now and absolutely loves it. He is not at Krannert so I can not speak for that school or the advisors there. Purdue originally was at the bottom of his list (which included MIT, etc) and the more my son learned about it, the higher Purdue moved up the list. He ended up picking it and is in their honors engineering program.</p>

<p>I can't speak for i-learn but perhaps it's the level of math my son is currently at (300 numbers), that he does not need or use that program? I know he is happy with how he can sign in at ITAP I believe it is, and downloading just a little program, have access to software worth thousands. He can also buy the software (engineering) for like $10-$20 a pop if he wants it on his own computer.</p>

<p>Yes, he is stuck with some 7:30 classes but with 38G kids on campus, that is bound to happen. He has a bicycle there so he does not have to worry about what time to catch the bus...he simply rides his bike, even in the snow.</p>

<p>The weather in West-Lafayette is much warmer than where we live so that is no big deal to him either. In fact, he prefers cold to hot weather anyway.</p>

<p>When we visited we were very impressed with how a big school seems small. Yes, it's repeated way too much but it's very true! We all get replies to our emails in less than 24 hours. Something some private small schools even could not do. Everyone there we have met is very nice. This includes students and faculty.</p>

<p>Your school pass allows you free rides on a bus into West Lafayette and Lafayette. Son has visited many big cities but we are not from one. He is happy with all the extracurriculars available to him and stays on campus most of the time.</p>

<p>Parties? they are everywhere but since son doesn't party he and his friends create their own fun and he's rarely asleep before 2 because of homework, hanging out or the extra clubs etc.</p>

<p>He says classes are "fun" and he enjoys the school a lot. As parents, we are happy to see him happy. My advice? Be open-minded. You are getting two very different opinions here...please visit and see the school for yourself so you can make the best decision on what school to attend.</p>

<p>i do plan on visiting all of the campuses i get accepted to over the summer. saving money for the airfare at the moment. i am a bit concerned regarding the male:female ratio. i will check things out when i visit i guess.</p>

<p>what mominin says is true. Purdue's engineering program is one of the best in the nation, and its management program is catching up fast.</p>

<p>Purdue has ties with Microsoft so you can buy Windows XP Professional for I believe...it was $12 or $24 and Office for about $12. And there are softwares such as Adobe and all that are priced cheaply. However you can only buy the software once. But if a newer version comes out, you can buy the newer one again. So if you buy Windows XP Professional now, no you cannot buy XP Professional again, but shortly when Windwos Vista, the next generation Windows, comes out in the market, you can buy it for a very low price.</p>

<p>Buses are free in W. Lafayette, that's a good thing if you live far away from dining halls like I was.</p>

<p>There are parties there, but Midwest style...it's weird i swear.</p>

<p>Students are generally very intelligent...but maybe because they are bit naive compare to the ones from New York...you will feel as if they were total idiots. The greatest thing about the people in Midwest is that they are very prompt in helping you out. You ask a person in New York City how to get to somewhere, he will either just point to the sky or pass by. But in Midwest, people are generally nicer...well...yea but i have no better word to describe them.</p>

<p>What mominin says about Purdue describes general life style in typical public universities in the Midwest.</p>

<p>I think jslee's initial reactions to Purdue were largely based on a lack of being exposed to other places and other cultures--a situation which I see he has remedied by his recent visit to China, and the other countries. It obviously was also a result of his abandonment by his sister.</p>

<p>I hardly think that criticizing an area because it has cheap housing and its people earn less than the national average is very constructive, however.</p>

<p>I live in California where the average home price is around $700,000--but just how jslee has determined that carried a gigantic mortgage in order to live in a million dollar apartment is an advantage is beyond me. Let him come pay my mortgage for awhile and then we'll see if he considers that an advantage.</p>

<p>I think jslee's comments point out the necessity for visiting a college before deciding to go there--something he apparently didn't have the luxury of doing. </p>

<p>P.S. I do like NYC, though.</p>

<p>I have to add this. I was the one who lent jslee support on terrible advisors, and I still stand by my word. I also have to add that you have to be prepared for foreign professors that will speak such garbled English that your life will be stretched to the breaking point as you try to understand them. The problem is that these professors typically pop up in important classes, like Statistics. So, you will be in a pickle as to whether just to fall asleep in the incomprehensible lecture or try to make sense out of broken sentences and mumbles.</p>

<p>who said my family bought an apartment on mortgage? :)
you pay your own home mortgage Calcruzer (?) I don't get why you brood over my comments on the cheap housing in W. Lafayette area...doesn't that suggest more than just that fact that people earn below the national average? </p>

<p>Believe me, I did see many places and been exposed to different cultures. your arrogant attitude barely stands upon groundless assumptions (?)</p>

<p>Your words can be as twisted and sarcastic as you would like to be, i really don't care. </p>

<p>But What's your motivation behind reiterating the same "point" lately? :) it's cheesey ;)</p>

<p>p.s. what??? there is hardly a person here who is dying to know whether you like NYC or not (?) :) amusing</p>

<p>umm... im pretty sure that the average income in the west laffayette area is right around the national average of 43k and most of the kids who attend purdue are from suburbs of indianapolis where the average income is 55-65k so i still dont get why people are calling this place low income, regional differences balance the disparity in salaries, housing costs and other things are relative to the salaries in the area so i dont get why you people are throwing out figures like 700k housing as if you are making a valid point or something ... for a biz major you really overestimate the us income and underestimate the regional differences...</p>

<p>Do you or does your father make 500K? Do most of your father's close people or your friends' family have just salaries of at least 500K?</p>

<p>once again... where are you going with this?</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong. I am just trying to explain to you my reasoning behind my previous statement/comment on Indiana (Midwest). I didn't see too many of such figures while in Indiana as well as Ohio (Columbus). There are plenty around here, there are few over there, and i did very simple mathematics and reasoning...concluded Indiana is among the relatively lesser income states. But I noticed there wasn't so much of income differences in Midwest whereas in NYC, it's no big of an event to see millionaires and billionaires walk pass by beggars on streets of Manhattan. I guess, it all balances out.</p>

<p>Where am I going with this? You asked why people are calling this place a low income region...and i am explaning to you why i think that.</p>

<p>Here are some figures if you insist on arguing...:</p>

<p>Per Capita Personal Income by State in the year of 2004
(Midwest)
- Indiana: $30,094
- Ohio: $31,322
- Illinois: $34,351
- Michigan: $31,954
(East - Tri-State)
- New York: $38,228
- New Jersey: $41,332
- Connecticut: $45,398</p>

<p>Median Income for 4-Person Families, by State (U.S. Census Bureau)
(Midwest)
- Indiana: $63,573
- Ohio: $64,282
- Illinois: $66,507
- Michigan: $68,337
(East - Tri State)
- New York: $66,498
- New Jersey: $80,577
- Connecticut: $82,517</p>

<p>By City</p>

<ul>
<li><p>Indianapolis
Per Capita Income: $21,640
Median Income for a Household: $40,051</p></li>
<li><p>Columbus
Per Capita Income: $20,450
Median Income for a Household: $37,897</p></li>
<li><p>Chicago
Per Capita Income: $20,175
Median Income for a Household: $38,625</p></li>
<li><p>Detroit
Per Capita Income: $14,717
Median Income for a Household: $29,526</p></li>
<li><p>New York City
Per Capita Income: $42,922
Median Income for a Household: $47,030</p></li>
<li><p>Bergen County, New Jersey
Per Capita Income: $33,638
Median Income for a Household: $65,241</p></li>
<li><p>Fairfield County, Connecticut
Per Capita Income: $38,350
Median Income for a Household: $65,249</p></li>
</ul>

<p>How come you don't see the obvious difference between Tri-State area (NYC, Con., NJ) and Midwest?</p>

<p>Midwest and South bring down Natl. income average...greatly...</p>

<p>oh my god! you really arent getting it... here is a valid example for you. Like a year ago my mom got a job offer to work someplace in SoCal. She was currently making around 58k and the new job offered 110k a yr. plus a 10k signing bonus. The home she had in the area of TN that she was living in was worth about 190k. The cheapest comparable home in socal she found was like 410k. Think about it, was she actually getting a raise? because a larger percentage of her income wouldve been spent on living expenses (in a similar home/school system) by moving to the new area i would say no. In fact she wouldve been taking a pay cut by moving to the more "desirable" area. The fact is that this is america and in every region there are people making millions. In New York there will be more millionaires b/c of the proximity to so many billion dollar companies. That fact in no way reflects anything, look at the percentage of millionaires in new york and you will discover it is not very high. I really cant even believe you would even argue this point when it is so easy to see the faults...</p>

<p>your home/land/property are your equity</p>

<p>nevermind this topic now :) just live where you are...</p>

<p>yea I see what you mean...as I said above...i guess it all balances out :)</p>

<p>thank you for pointing out</p>

<p>yea, now i know why there are more fortunate folks in nyc area...</p>

<p>i guess, be happy with what you are worth there</p>

<p>Diverting our attention back to the topic-</p>

<p>Is the description of West Lafayette strictly a Purdue thing or is this how it's like for most of the Mid-West? Aren't college towns a bit well.. less mid-westish?</p>

<p>umm.. what do u consider mid-westish?</p>