Horrible

<p>The town is the university. There is the Wabash River and West Lafayette is on the West Side andd Lafayette is on the East Side. Campus is only on the West Side, the town is the campus really. I mean there are some shops etc. but it is small and mostly students/faculty. Some bars=Harry's Chocolate Shop is a famous one. What are you trying to figure out?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.harryschocolateshop.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.harryschocolateshop.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Honestly,</p>

<p>girls are hotter in Midwest...</p>

<p>NYC?...of course you can find many hot girls but generally, i would say Midwest girls are hotter.</p>

<p>so now, go to Purdue.</p>

<p>Corn fed and powered by Ethanol........just looking for a manufacturing engineer to hook up with.</p>

<p>hm...if you are correct...</p>

<p>whatever, have sex with goats in Midwest</p>

<p>i have to back jslee up on this one... midwest girls are hott and there are actually a few that arent extremely superficial (go to the west coast for a week and you will see how important this is)</p>

<p>I agree. I am a freshman HTM student. I honestly think that the 33,000 (out-of-state) im paying to go here is not worth it. Why should I pay all this money when there are local students paying about $10. I must also say that the Midwest is very different from back home, im from Los Angeles. Most people are really NICE but NICE doesnt get you a good or high paying job. I also agree that many HTM students are "rural" and that reflects poorly on any HTM program. I hopefully will be transfering to BU or Cornell. Overall I do like the University but when I meet some of these local idiots its very discouraging.</p>

<p>are you kidding me? you are from LA, the most superficial city on earth, and you complain about the "idiots" at purdue? Purdue is a state supported school which means that out-of-state students pay more, im sure you know that so why did u even say that. How does being "rural" reflect poorly on HTM? I thought college was about being smart not being from a major city. Are you saying people from rural areas arent smart enough for HTM?</p>

<p>I dont mean to offend anyone. What I meant is that many of the HTM students have little knowledge about the industry. They think HTM means handing out shots on the "love boat" or managing at Red Lobster. I sure as hell didnt go to college to do that. At programs such as Cornell and BU they become consultants, ect. I dont think that in-state-students are dumb. They just have less exposure. Many of them are incredibly smart but I think that it takes them longer to get the bigger picture. I lilke midwesterners but I hate sitting in my HTM marketing class and listen to some students talk like un-educated idiots. I dont think that anyone is better than anyone else, but in the real world exposure means everything. I've read the bios of students at the Hotel school at Cornell, there is no comparison!!!! seriously. I was at the job fair in my first semester and overheard a recruiter say" The kids here are really excited to work, but they are the least educated of the students we've seen." That alarmed me. Thats not worth $33,000. Thats all I'm saying. OK
I didnt mean to put anyone down, i hope this clarifies the intention of my original statement.</p>

<p>ok so lets break down the choice cornnell=ivy league purdue=state school. Now who would expect a difference in the students? duh.</p>

<p>Many students majoring in hospitality major do intern or take part-time/summer jobs at restaurants, hotels, and etc. I wouldn't be surprised if students work at such places as waiters or waitresses or receptionist at hotels.</p>

<p>However if...graduates of the major work as waiters or waitresses or receptionists...I would be little bit worried...and cast major doubt on the quality of the student body and program of this particular university/major...</p>

<p>But keep in mind vviveros...everyone starts from the very bottom...I am sure the ones who work as waitresses and waitors will take on higher positions after graduation. It's a matter of whether you work for the particular hotel site or for the hotel chain corporation, and hopefully the latter one.</p>

<p>Not all Midwesterners are idiots. Come to NYC, you will find even more idiots.</p>

<p>But if you were to compare students from CUNY to Purdue...I would say that CUNY students have wider understanding of the out-side-world...That's just my opinion, but i've met great friends at Mid-west, they are all nice. yes NICE...but not in the sense whom you could talk about your future career plans with...</p>

<p>often when I talk to one of my friends in Indiana...especially on politics, current affairs, economy, world reports, jobs...they just have different priorities...which is understandable for they grew up in a different environment.</p>

<p>Remember...LA & NYC are not good representations of the U.S.
New York City and LA are not U.S.! Indiana sounds more like the average U.S.</p>

<p>We are very different. Accept it :) Sometimes I just feel like, "they are so confined to their region...their ideas, their beliefs, their priorities..." but hey, let them do whatever let them say whatever... :) They are different</p>

<p>wow.. i just realized that purdue's HTM is top ranked so i doubt many of the graduates will end up as waiters. In response to this whole politics and current affairs conversation thing i really think you people are getting out of hand. Its ridiculous that you assume that the majority of your region likes to talk about these things. I lived in nyc for 7 yrs. and i still go back every summer to visit with my family and i dont remember to many 16-20 year olds talking about politics and current affairs too often. The most often conversations i remember were about girls, cars and basketball. Face it, you people are the type of people who will never be happy anywhere, probably not even at the ivies, because you have this assumption that you are so sophisticated or cultured that you dont want to be around anyone not as sophisticated as you think you are. Fact of the matter is that no matter what region you live in the 16-20 year olds talk about the same things. This place where the majority of the young people talk about politics and economic affairs has to be some place that you have made up. Meet the top AP and IB students from any region and they will talk to you about world affairs but as far as the majority goes new yorkers dont care about anything out side of their general area and californians most definitely dont care about anything outside of their world just as midwesterners and southerners generally dont care about much outside of their world...</p>

<p>Thats why I came to Purdue University in the first place. They claim they are number 1, but as a student in the program I feel ripped off. I don't feel the program is deserving of its number one status. I'm not sure if your a Purdue HTM student, but take it from a current student in the program, they are not number 1, sorry.</p>

<p>yea im not an HTM student, in fact i dont even like purdue much, im an accepted student but i wont attend but it has nothing to do with the culture its more of the fact that TAs teach too many classes and i really dont like the student body all that much even though i have a bunch of friends going there next year</p>

<p>Anyone care to explain what HTM stands for?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/HTM/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/HTM/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>this thread was a bit scary. today, i was deciding between cornell and purdue.. and chose purdue since.. I'm not such a richly endowed kid. i don't know if it's really that unfortunate that i will be enrolling into the htm dpt.. but that's what i'll be doing! :o</p>

<p>born in virginia but raised in los angeles (however superficial it may be).. i like both worlds. might as well just enjoy it or suffer through it all, yes? :)</p>

<p>I am from the Midwest, but schooled at two those top 10 USNWR report schools that offer credentials and an opportunity to be around a bunch of smart people. I visited Purdue recently and cannot say enough good about it. It bleeds competence. it reminded me of what I missed so much about the Midwest. And I disagree with those who say Purdue doesn't mean much in New York or other areas of the country - major in some of their select programs, particularly in engineering, and one will have more career choice than they know what to do with. I also find it laughable all of this concern about prestige. My next door neighbor growing up went to Purdue and majored in liberal arts, while I felt compelled to conquer the mystique of snooty east coast universities. She's now the General Counsel of a Fortune 200 company - and for what its worth, there's no other wasy to describe it...she is simply competent in every sense of the word. </p>

<p>For what it is worth, the people are also exceedingly nice and helpful. What stuck in my mind was an editorial in the paper (it was the summer edition) about a professor and his young family who had been in a car accident, with many members of the family in severe medical condition. The editorial didn't just report sensitively on the tragedy, it admonished everyone that being part of the Purdue community was to go the extra mile to help out Purdue families and people in need. Unusual? Perhaps not. The sincerety with which it was written and the call to urgency to help? Yes, that was unusual. Part of the Midwestern fabric of life? You bet. Think it is a good place to learn and be part of a safe (the safest large university in America in my view) environment? You bet. </p>

<p>And I find the complaints about advisors a little hollow - they likely are in many cases, given the size of the university, inexperienced and not helpful, but the responsibility to enroll in the right courses and find the right schedule and interest fit is above all the student's. All institutions help those who help themselves the most - can't figure out why Purdue would be any different.</p>

<p>Concerning your comment about safety--there is a website (sorry, can't remember the name--maybe someone else can find it) that tracks the crime statistics for all the towns in America. I used this to research some of the towns with the colleges my son was applying to. I discovered that Lafayette, IN has a crime rate 1/10 of the national average!</p>

<p>Yes--I would safe it is undoubtedly the safest university in the country.</p>