Housing disappointment

<p>FWIW - My son was in an honor’s suite his freshman year. During move-in weekend, his randomly chosen roommates who’d never met me were openly discussing where they could find ping pong balls. Some of the stories get worse from there. Just because it’s an honors dorm, doesn’t mean your roommates will be studious. There are some threads from last year about parents upset that their kids didn’t get honors housing, from what I recall most of them wound up very happy where they did get assigned.</p>

<p>From last year: <a href=“Crisis - Honors Student assigned to Mary Burke - University of Alabama - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1517618-crisis-honors-student-assigned-to-mary-burke-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>1 month after school started (page 3 of link): “Hi TwoXCollege - D is doing well at Burke. She and her roomie have settled in and become very compatible. She admits she does like having the cafeteria downstairs, too! <strong><em>She had the opportunity to move into a suite-style dorm about a month in, and declined.</em></strong>”</p>

<p>Thanks, @mom2collegekids. I figure we’ll visit whatever dorm he’s assigned when we attend Bama Bound, and check it out to assess the potential allergen situation. I’m already nervous about the allergy thing since the weather down there is warmer for so much longer than it is in the northeast, and moving can trigger allergies–I had HORRIBLE allergies when I moved to San Diego of all places–but I’ve just decided not to worry too much about it for the time being. I do need to check with my son to see if he mentioned his allergies on his application. I doubt he did as they’re just “normal” to him.</p>

<p>@SOSConcern, your advice to the OP is spot on. My son has a full scholarship, so he’s to be grateful regardless, but I’m not sure what the OP’s situation is. His could be a partial scholarship recipient, and the dorm thing could have been what “sealed the deal” for him. </p>

<p>Bama needs to be careful that families don’t feel like the school is pulling a “bait and switch” on their kids with regard to the dorms. Better to show prospective students the best AND the worst dorms, so a freshmen don’t get upset when their assignment is completely different than what they were led to believe they would be getting. The school’s own students point out the potential for problems. From that “Capstone Comment” link I posted in my previous comment:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Re the housing deposits, however, it’s the language of the Common App that makes it problematic for some students like my son. It pretty clearly states you will NOT double-deposit:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And according to our recruiter, UA pretty clearly relies on enrollment figures to make a determination of how many students to enroll during the "rolling " process, so it does present a bit of an ethical dilemma for a kid.</p>

<p>Of course a student could deposit at UA and withdraw it if he changes his mind later, but what about a kid who’s considering multiple schools and awaiting FA awards? How do you decide which school to deposit to? It’s tough choice and has been much debated in this forum and others:
<a href=“http://www.collegeview.com/admit/?p=3902”>http://www.collegeview.com/admit/?p=3902&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also FWIW I do not like the policy of UA requiring deposits prior to May 1 to secure housing. National decision day exists for a reason. These young kids have enough pressure trying to make a decision. It’s awful for them to feel like they have to make a decision for one school when they’re still waiting for financial aid info or even admissions decisions from other schools. Requiring an admission deposit in order to reserve housing really violates the spirit of national decision day. While it can be argued that kids can put a deposit in and always get a partial refund, not all students are in a financial position to do that. I probably could have afforded to gamble a couple hundred dollars on son’s decision, but I’m pretty stubborn by nature and felt that I was entitled to wait for all financial aid info from all the schools son applied to before making a deposit. We didn’t make a deposit until late March or early April. However 2 years ago he was still able to select his own room at that date and was still able to get into honor’s housing. With UA working to increase their enrollment numbers and with greater numbers of high stats honor’s students coming to the school, it’s becoming more of a gamble to wait (although students will still change their minds about their dorm, realize they can’t afford to go to college, decide to go to a different school to be near family/friends, get off the wait-list at their dream school, etc and some rooms will still open/change as the summer goes on). I’d LOVE to see UA not require any deposits until May 1 - I guarantee with the state of technology that they can still assign all students to rooms between May 1 and the beginning of school. But my son’s off campus now, so it no longer impacts me personally.</p>

<p>Application deposit and housing deposit are separate things. Enrollment deposit also distinct.</p>

<p>When you are looking at multiple schools, esp for oldest student in family with the newness of the whole process on the student and family - it is easy to make ‘mistakes’ - listening to advice that may work one place but not another, etc.</p>

<p>I know a family that had their heart set on OOS school, state flagship where they were from. OOS was too expensive - maybe they thought student would get some athletic scholarship. Student is going to UA (in-state) but I think parents realized he should have spent more time on standardized testing and grades, than sports in HS. I cannot imagine DD w/o her scholarships at UA!</p>

<p>All very interesting… I actually wrote an email last week to Admissions. Trying to get into contact with someone who coordinates the various receptions around the country. Wanted to point out that the “super-suite” dorms were highly, highly touted during the reception we attended a couple of months ago, and speaker (who was wonderful actually) sort of actually poked fun at the older, traditional style dorms. What he said about dorms during his speech made it sound like ALL UA had was the new fancy dorms!! There was no mention at all of UA’s other dorms. That night my son (Honors student) was sitting there in the audience trying to make his final college decision…he was 99% going to UA but knew he would be living in an older dorm (due to trying to keep loans super low – plus his chosen dorm is in a great location close to quad). I don’t know if Admissions automatically thinks that everyone who attends the receptions can readily afford the super-suite dorms or what… I do believe and agree with aeromom and Lucie that Admissions needs to work on what exactly is said to prospective students about the dorms… my two cents.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>While Paty overall may have more students inclined to party than an honors dorm (I honestly don’t know), you can get a hard partying roommate/suitemate in any dorm. One of my D’s high school classmates took random roommates in RCS her freshman year. She had a huge problem on the very first night she was there with a hard-partying suitemate. Housing moved her (D’s classmate) out of that suite to another in RCS the next day. And when I say they moved her, I mean she didn’t have to lift a finger - University employees relocated all of her stuff. Based on that experience, I assume that if there’s a problem, UA will handle it.</p>

<p>In the past, housing has opened up all of the available rooms in June for everyone to see. Remember, kids can change their minds. Maybe they were going to Bama and got off the waitlist at an Ivy or another selective school. Maybe the finances do not work out, and they need to go to a community college. So there may be openings as the spring and summer roll along. Three years ago, my son was all set to live on campus, but one of his friends and roommates managed to snag an apartment at The Bluff in July. Another friend did the same thing.</p>

<p>As for partying, it can happen in any dorm. </p>

<p>And many a kid will go to college and say, “I won’t party. I won’t drink. I’ll never miss a class.”</p>

<p>Right. </p>

<p>Yes, the wording is very important but if we are going to be sticklers about the wording in the " Common Application" then we should use the same measuring stick for what was said to Lucie, according to her quote the representative said “typically” again to me that implies “not always”.</p>

<p>That is why there has been much debate about the Common Application’s wording…there may be room for interpretation. I am not a lawyer but it has always seemed to me that as long as you ONLY have a deposit at one school at one time, you were not in violation of the Common Application. But as I said this has been discussed on multiple threads all over College Confidential. Everyone has to make their own choices.</p>

<p>Do I think that Bama could take a Housing Deposit without an Enrollment Deposit? Quite possibly, but if I was them and I was going to change that deposit requirement, I would require a much larger dollar amount which was non-refundable to discourage the " holding" of housing for students with little interest.</p>

<p>As for allergies, they are really seasonal and you might want to make sure that your son has all his medications with him since students who are under 19 cannot purchase many OTC medications in Alabama. Most people acclimate to the allergy season and I find that my NEastern student sneezes more when he is home.</p>

<p>However, if your student has a true medical need for some specific type of housing, that need has to be documented via a medical doctor, and the deadline request to housing was prior to March 1, otherwise there was a definite chance that the particular needs could not be met. </p>

<p>See excerpt:
Requests for Special Medical Accommodations
Housing and Residential Communities is able to consider requests for special accommodation in housing based on medical need, as long as they are submitted by the deadline and accompanied by documentation from the student’s physician. The deadline for the spring semester is December 1; the deadlines for the fall semester are February 1 for returning students and March 1 for incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>In order to be considered, a medical request should be submitted to Alicia Browne, Director of Housing Administration, by fax at 205-348-7135 or by mail at Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. Requests should include documentation of medical condition and specific request for housing to meet that medical need. Requests will be considered by the Medical Review Committee and students notified of the committee’s decision shortly after the deadline.</p>

<p>Please note, special accommodation in housing is not made for learning disabilities, ADD, or ADHD.</p>

<p>My note: FYI: to future students, ther are a limited number of handicap accessible rooms.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, but making a housing deposit is contingent upon enrolling. You can’t reserve a room UNLESS you’ve already enrolled. That’s not the policy at many schools.</p>

<p>^^^True, that is not the policy at all schools. This is why it is a personal decision that each individual student and their family need to discuss. Exactly, how strongly each student feels about their desire to attend The University of Alabama AND get a particular type of housing is what drives the Need to deposit early.</p>

<p>Untill, The University of Alabama changes their deposit policies, the student has to factor this policy into their decision making process. We may all think that the policy could or should change, but until it does, the student is left with this policy as a factor.</p>

<p>Re what momreads said above: I’m pretty sure momreads didn’t mean that you can look at any dorm you want in June (i.e., on a tour). I do not recall UA Housing “opening up the dorms in June for everyone to see”. In fact, during Bama Bound session, they specifically told us NOT to try to look at ANY dorms other than the model in RCS. This is for the safety of the students in these dorms, not all of whom are college-age kids. Just clarifying for those who might read this and think they can tour any dorm on campus…</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>that is the confusing part…the sin of double-depositing involves after May 1st…that is why the CA needs to clarify that point.</p>

<p>If someone deposits at Bama in the Fall, and then decides to attend Univ X in april, then he contacts bama, declines, and then deposits at the chosen school…this is not dbl depositing.</p>

<p>Bama’s policy is similar to many/most large publics. It is the privates that require all frosh to live on campus (and which often have homogenous housing choices or a lottery) that have a different policy.</p>

<p>^^^You’re right. It’s almost like they’re parallel admissions processes when you look closely at the differences between the large state publics and the Common App schools, and it probably doesn’t affect the vast majority of kids. </p>

<p>But students applying to Bama for the honors college and the big scholarships are frequently caught in this bind because they’re weighing Bama against some pretty selective schools that also have the deep coffers to offer decent FA to a lot of families. Schools they won’t hear from until mid-March at the earliest, and some not until 4/1.</p>

<p>Also, a lot kids looking at smaller schools are open to Bama because of what they think the honors college–including designated honors housing–can offer them to make that proverbial “big school” feel “smaller.”</p>

<p>I just think that if the CA people just clarified their app by indicating that you cant have two on-going deposits at the same time…meaning that it would be ok to deposit at a rolling admissions school, but if you get a spring offer that you like better, then you can decline the Rolling school, and then accept the better offer and submit that deposit. So, being deposited at two places simultaneously isnt happening.</p>

<p>I think that is the current policy, but just not made clear to applicants.</p>

<p>Weighing in to reiterate, Honors dorm does NOT mean the students will be any less hard-partying than the other dorms. While I understand this can happen at any school, anywhere, DSs experience with random Honors Suite roommates was extreme and despite numerous verbal and written reports was not acted upon by the RA or staff until I (as a parent) brought it to their attention. I will say however, when I did get up the chain to the housing director, current Pres. Bonner (think she was provost then?) and the UA Police, things were resolved swiftly, though the damage to grades etc. from the living situation could never be recovered. The offending roommate was expelled and is now in prison, the hallmate is now unfortunately deceased.
Moral - don’t expect fellow students (RAs) to handle anything big, and despite trying to let them handle their own situation, don’t wait too long to get involved yourself. Honors, Paty, whatever - there is potential for both terrific and morally bankrupt students in all of them. Learning experience for sure.</p>

<p>I agree with the idea of not expecting much from RAs (at any school). These are 20ish students with their own lives, issues, academics, etc. </p>

<p>I will throw in, FWIW, that in the housing situation I described above that was acted on immediately, the parents were still in town (having just dropped their daughter off the day before), and they involved themselves immediately. Helicopter parent label or not, and “adult” student or not, when the situation is serious, it makes sense for parents to get involved.</p>

<p>I got good news! After only three days after filling in my room assigment change request, I got an email informing me that I have been assigned to a suite in Lakeside West! I know it is not honors but this really shows how good UA is and just made me really happy how well and fast they responded. I have seen many many moer people in my case in the Facebook groups, and I recommend them to change the dorm style preference to suite-style the first one and not honors since these last ones are all full already. That is what I did at least and it worked. Thank you to everyone who posted here, it helped a lot. Can not wait to be in T-Town this fall! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^^^That’s great news!! Well, I am glad that you came back to tell us how the change request worked for you. I am also glad to see that you asked for a suite and non- honors, as I thought that was your best shot. </p>

<p>I thought I saw another poster who was unhappy about their residence house assignment, perhaps the other person can follow your lead and maybe they can also get a room reassignment. It cannot hurt to ask for a change.</p>

<p>when do we get our room assignments if we paid our housing deposit on apr 1st</p>