Housing move-in tips 2019

@CamandCam There is a Wells Fargo ATM at the Memorial Student Center (MSC) and there are banks in College Station that may also be in your area.

For my eldest, we moved his banking to Wells Fargo when he went off to college, as there were two branches as well as one in their Student Union building and ATM.
We found it didn’t make a difference really, so my other two didn’t change banks.

We did however, get them all a Wells Fargo student credit card for the purpose of using at gas stations. They can use it for other stuff but they are so used to their debit cards and managing their accounts,that they prefer it. They have it emergencies and credit card skimmers are notorious at gas stations. They have hit college station and can wipe out an account. Wells Fargo had the best deal and options for a student and they don’t have to bank there.

The Cash App has made our life a lot easier. I used to have to go to two banks to put money for books,rent,groceries into accounts. The Cash App is part of Square, and I am familiar with them though booster clubs and PTA. They can claim the money into their account immediately for a 1% fee or wait 24 hours and it’s free. Funds are available immediately.

Cash app is amazing!!!

Thanks @Thelma2 and @AggieMomhelp, I’ll have to check out cash app, that’s a new one on me. Regarding the skimmers, are you saying your kids use the credit card for gas instead of the debit card in order to protect their debit accounts?

Yes. Just Safer. Neither of my kids have had an issue but it is just safe practice. AND it’s good to have a credit card account in their name so they build credit.

@AggieMomhelp or @Thelma2 When is the Fall 2019 move in date for freshman? The site says it will be posted when available but any good guesses from experienced folks? Also, do siblings every accompany the move in? Or does it get to be too many people? My daughter will have a rising high school Junior brother that I want to start indoctrinating! :slight_smile:

For most housing it’ll be a full week before school starts on a Saturday. For white creek it’s usually a week and a half before.

A full week ahead gives them the ability to participate in rush and all activities for howdy week (or gig em week). I can never remember what it’s called. Lol

Yes @CamandCam Debit cards have no safety features at the pump and they can swipe the whole account whereas a credit card, you have recourse of not being charged and your bank account isn’t compromised.

Thanks @Thelma2 , I just wanted to make sure i was reading your reply correctly. I was having pronoun confusion. ?

@CamandCam
Ha! I just re-read my post and it wasn’t very clear. But then, I did open a drawer today and dumped out my water glass, instead of in the sink.
??

@Thelma2 , LOL! It’s comforting to know that it’s not just me that those things happen to. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard several people mention that it was important to apply for housing within 30 days of getting admitted in order to get priority. I am not sure that is applicable anymore. I believe it’s based on the date you submitted a deposit (regardless if you were admitted more than 30 days ago). Per the website “Room assignments are based largely on priority date – which is defined as the date the housing application, including fee, is received” I called housing to double check and the person on the phone confirmed this to me. Is anyone else’s understanding different? Thank you.

@MomfromTX that is exactly what everyone has told me, but when I mentioned that on one of these threads, I was quickly shot done. Multiple parents of freshman Aggies, who have been thru the housing process tell me-it is based on time stamp when housing deposit is made, and that’s what Housing dept states when they’re asked.
I don’t understand how else it can be interpreted?

Perhaps I should start a separate thread but I was curious if there was advice on the quality of the not so fancy dorms (Hall or corridor style) as well as close off campus apartments (like Cambridge).

Maybe it’s changed since last year. The process changed the year before that as well so I guess we’ll see. All I know is there is plenty of housing if you want to be on campus. You may not get desired dorm, but you’ll get housing.

As for off campus. There are soooo many now right next to campus. Check out all the ones on north gate area. Domain. Aspire. The stacks. The rise. Traditions and more. Plus park west on west campus. Calloway and Cambridge (which I think is north gate area).

The past two years since they changed the housing from assigned to self select, @MomfromTX we have seen applicants accepted in October and applicants accepted in February have the same assigned time slot. as well as some admitted early who did not apply to housing right way (I’d honestly have to go look for the mom’s post after I remembered her name) that they were very unhappy with her son’s freshman experience as he had been placed in temporary housing for a few weeks until he could be assigned permanent.

But, as AggieMomhelp says, it could have changed again.

I do not know how they do it and I have seen that they have taken the 30 days quote off of the website but just based on what we have seen happen here and on the closed 10K member Aggie Parent facebook page where no one is anonymous, there is a way they assign them.

Hullabaloo is the newest and most popular dorm and it usually fills pretty quick with the first few assigned windows. Modular dorms are very popular because the rooms are big and roomy. There are two girls only modular and one male only Modular I think. There are 11 modular dorms.

In the Commons of Mosher, Aston, Dunn and Kruger, The “Common” area is all new. When we toured in Dec of 2015, we were told it would be ready in Fall. What she meant and didn’t say, was Fall of 2017, not Fall for our kids. The commons also has its own dining hall and convenience store. Mosher first floor was renovated for fall of 2016 and I think they have finished renovating it. I am unsure about the others.

the dorms are priced by style and then also by room config within that style. The modular and commons are all double rooms where as the balcony like Schumacker have single, double and apartment style.

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 , I know I read on one of the threads about moving in early, but I can’t find that post. Can y’all point me in the right direction for some info on that? Thanks again!

I don’t know the exact info but I do know they told us as the NSC. There may need to be extenuating circumstances and I know there’s a fee involved. If no one has the info on here, call residential housing. They may not have exact dates but can give you an idea. Please let us know what you find!!!

The process for early move in requests can be found at: https://reslife.tamu.edu/procedures/
Click on the tab that says “early arrival”.

Thanks! @Chemengmom and @AggieMomhelp