Housing requests

I have been having some difficulty deciding where to matriculate this fall and I have narrowed it down to two schools, one being UA. Since the programs are both great I think my decision is going to come down to housing and what is available. I was accepted to the honors college with a presidential scholarship at Bama and was wondering what kind of housing would still be open this late in the game. If I pay my fees this Monday, I will be at the back end of picking and I really want a suite style or a single bedroom. In past years have these rooms filled up quickly or is it possible to still get in? Thanks for any input. I am OOS and have not been able to tour UA.

You can find another student who has an earlier ‘pick’ time than you to pull you into their suite. You’ll have to find that roommate prior to room/suite selection times.

But, I would not make a decision on where to attend college without first having visited.

Is there a website or a roommate matching service to help find available space? I dont know any students with earlier pick times.

I have planned a trip down at the end of May over Memorial Day weekend to cement my decision if all other aspects work themselves out. Thanks for the advise.

UA Housing has a RM matching site. There are also students Facebook groups. You may very well be able to find a single bedroom in a suite when it comes to your own turn but no one can tell you if that will be the case as no one has info as to how many incoming students there actually will be and of those, how many will choose which particular housing.

Thanks, that helped a lot.

Wow, although housing is a consideration, please don’t pick your college based solely on that criteria. UA has a lot to offer, and yes, it does have really nice suite style housing for both Honors and non-honors. However, many students (even those who are Honors) opt for traditional style housing (for various reasons). I would not let a housing choice deter you from going to the best school for you.

“I have narrowed it down to two schools, one being UA. Since the programs are both great I think my decision is going to come down to housing and what is available.”

What other school are you considering? Have you visited there? I see you haven’t visited UA. I think a visit is extremely important. I’d hate to see any student make a decision based solely upon housing, especially without visiting.

I haven’t visited but my sister did last year and loved it. I also toured through the interactive tour on the UA webpage. Youtube has some good videos too. The other college I am considering is ranked higher then UA but I would incur substantially more debt so there are many variables going into my choice. A comfortable place to relax in a room is just another thing to consider. I have seen traditional college dorms with two beds in a small room and it just does not appeal to me. Scholarships give me a little leeway in finances so I thought I would take advantage of that opportunity to get a better living space if that is still possible.

I’m glad your sister liked it. I see you posted that you applied to Northwestern, Duke, UChicago, and Princeton. I’m sorry you won’t be able to visit UA until after Memorial Day. You might consider joining the Class of 2019 FB page to see if you could match with a roommate. Best of luck in making your decision.

I’ll do that. Thanks!