How difficult is it to get the classes that you want?

<p>My S is a freshman at a small private college in Ohio. They just had schedule for Spring semester at his school, and he had a tough time getting the classes that he wanted to take. He was one of the last to schedule. If a class was closed, he had to ask the prof is he could have an override. At first he couldn’t get into the Calc class that he needed and his advisor told him to just wait until sophomore year. That was not going to happen. He needs Calc to take the other courses in a sequence (pharmacy major). Anyway, I was wondering how difficult it is to schedule the classes you want at a large school like Alabama? D will be in the honors program and will enter with AP credits if that makes a difference. Her 2nd choice college is a small liberal arts school in Ohio, our home state. We are trying to make a pro/con list to aid her with her decision where to attend.</p>

<p>my daughter has gotten all the necessary classes. </p>

<p>she has not been able to get one elective class despite trying every time.</p>

<p>If she’s in the honors program, don’t worry at all. I don’t even have a lot of AP credits, but since I got priority registration due to honors, I got into every class I wanted for next semester. The only time there might be difficulty is for first semester if she doesn’t go to the honors bama bound, but if you’re willing to get on MyBama during the summer and play around with your classes, things open up.</p>

<p>In short: if you’re in honors, you won’t have a problem.</p>

<p>The only semester that my kids ever had a minor problem was fall semester freshman year. After that first semester, no problems at all. both are/were in honors.</p>

<p>Mike W *she has not been able to get one elective class despite trying every time. *</p>

<p>Which class is that? Is it because the class always fills up before it’s her turn? Or is it because some/all of the sections conflict with her other classes? this spring was her 4th attempt?</p>

<p>it is always full by the time it is her turn. she has been willing to switch her schedule around to fit the class in, but it is always full with a waitlist.</p>

<p>the class is honors photography. 2 sections 15 students each. not sure if she tried to get in the first semester or not, but she has tried three times for sure.</p>

<p>Off topic-- but does anyone know when the Bama Bounds will be announced?</p>

<p>*the class is honors photography. 2 sections 15 students each. not sure if she tried to get in the first semester or not, but she has tried three times for sure. *</p>

<p>With only 30 total spots, that sounds like a class that probably is nabbed quickly by those who have lots of credits. Your D may have success next year as a 3rd year because she’ll have more credits and a higher standing then. </p>

<p>Sniner…not sure…you might email Orientation and ask…</p>

<p>[Contact</a> - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/contact/]Contact”>Contact – Orientation | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>One more question- what is the largest size class that your student has taken and what is the class? My ds at his small, private Ohio school has 75 in his bio lecture. They do break into small groups for lab and then for a study group (with a TA) each week too.</p>

<p>My son has had a couple of political science classes with 60 students, but in general, most of his classes have been in the 20s to 30s.</p>

<p>One more question- what is the largest size class that your student has taken and what is the class? My ds at his small, private Ohio school has 75 in his bio lecture. They do break into small groups for lab and then for a study group (with a TA) each week too.</p>

<p>Most of my kids’ classes have been small to medium…some have been VERY small (like 7 kids). Most non-UHP classes have been in the 25-30 range. </p>

<p>UHP classes have up to 15 students.</p>

<p>CBHP classes have 20 students per class.</p>

<p>English writing classes must be small so that the prof can grade the essays.</p>

<p>The largest classes they’ve ever have been a couple of science lectures (around 60 kids) and the labs are broken down to 20-25 kids. </p>

<p>Older son’s jogging class was also big…but no big deal…just a large group running around the fields and campus. I think he said that he had 80 kids in his jogging class.</p>

<p>According to USNews…Bama class sizes:</p>

<p>45.6% Under 20 kids per class
38.3% 20 - 49
16.1% over 50 (this includes rec classes like jogging which are large)</p>

<p>you know, i am not sure i have ever asked my daughter. i am sure she has had some larger classes, but i am not sure how large.</p>

<p>Kids who come in with AP credits are often able to skip some of the typical large lecture college classes. When you’ve passed AP US History, that means that you’re not going to be in History 101 & 102 (or whatever they’re called).</p>

<p>On largest class size, I think my son’s Cell Biology class this semester had over 100 students.</p>