how do freshmen pick classes?

<p>I've heard that in UM incoming freshmen don't pick their professors or their class time. Instead they only pick the class title and their schedule is done for them. When I heard this I wasn't exactly thrilled so is it true? and is it for the fall semester or both the fall and spring?</p>

<p>Over the summer incoming freshmen fill out a form where they request the class title. When you arrive on campus, you will get your schedule and meet with your adviser. You can generally change your classes if you don't like them and advisers are generally helpful with changing a schedule to better suit your wants and needs. For spring semester you pick your own classes and schedule with the help and approval of an adviser.</p>

<p>thank you so much!</p>

<p>Depending on your major, you'll probably get put in one math class, (definitely) in your first english class (105 unless you place out), and either the first two classes for your major and an elective that you choose over the summer or one major class and two electives. If you're undecided, they just put you in more electives to fill your GenEd requirements.</p>

<p>Do you know how Foote Fellows pick classes? Do we meet with our academic advisers earlier on?</p>

<p>I too am trying to figure out how Foote Fellows will pick their classes, since it obviously can't be exactly the same.</p>

<p>I'm a Foote Fellow and you also fill out the course selection form over the summer. You will find out your adviser over the summer and you can e-mail him or her with questions if you have any. During orientation like everyone else you will meet with your adviser and have the ability to change your schedule if you don't like the one that was made for you. There is also a Freshman seminar opened to Foote Fellows which you will get an e-mail about over the summer.</p>

<p>Did you take the seminar? I'm not sure if it's something I'd be that interested in. Especially because I already have some ideas of what minors I'd want to do along with my major...</p>

<p>does anybody know how it works for neurobiology majors? because most of the specific classes for the strand are higher level and have prerequisites and most of the lower level prerequisite classes are full when I checked the course offerings for fall 2009 such as cell & molecular bio. and neurobiology. The only one that hasn't been filled is genetics and it's with wang who has a horrible reputation. So am I doomed with genetics or is there hope?</p>

<p>Usually neurobio majors will take the Introductory level bio and psych courses. If you have AP credit for them they will probably put you in chemistry or physics. I wouldn't worry about fitting in all of your classes. The neuroscience department is very good at helping you schedule your 4 year plan and they make sure you take all your required classes in a timely manner.</p>

<p>does anybody know if you need specific reasons to get your advisers to change your schedule once you arrive during orientation?, I'm worried that "I want this class with the other teacher" won't cut it. I've had bad experiences in high school because I'm always stuck with lousy teachers and I certainly do not want to repeat the process.</p>

<p>I don't know how you would know what professors are good or bad before you are a student here. Generally advisers are open to helping you change your schedule if there are courses you would really like to take that you were not placed into, if you have time conflicts with activities on campus, or conflicts with work. There is also an add/drop period for about a week and a half of classes so if you are having problems in the first few classes you can change. </p>

<p>Poisondart: I did take the Foote Fellow seminar class and I highly recommend it. The seminar is taught by the deans of the different schools and the professor changes every two to three weeks. It is a great way to meet other Foote Fellows and a really good way to make connections with people. Generally Foote Fellows express a variety of interests not major specific and it is a nice way for us to explore those interests in just one class.</p>

<p>Usually advisors just try to keep you on track for graduating, not interfere with your preferences. At least, that's been my experience, and not wanting to wake up earlier than 11:00 AM is perfectly valid. :)</p>