How do I know if I should switch from my current field to medicine? I'm 23 and not in college anymore

All your replys are arugumentive. You say you suck hard at science. Your words. You keep calling yourself a dumb dumb. There is a disconnect here.

So you can’t just make yourself great at science. Not everyone is great at it. My son went to Michigan for engineering and all freshman take math /science together. He took physics with physics majors, science classes with pre med, biology and Chem majors.

After the first quiz lots of students left stating their not going into med school or engineering school. By the midterm like half the class was left.

This is what your up against.

Again many different ways to help patients. I think you can use the skills you currently have. Talk to an advisor at Berkeley. You are an alumni and they will help guide you.

All your replys are arugumentive. You say you suck hard at science. Your words. You keep calling yourself a dumb dumb. There is a disconnect here.

Where is the disconnect?

So you can’t just make yourself great at science. Not everyone is great at it.

I’ll give up or die trying! I’ve pulled out an o-chem textbook and started reading. I will make myself great at it. I know I sound unhinged but I’m just so goddamn triggered by this thread.

This is what your up against.

Cool

Again many different ways to help patients. I think you can use the skills you currently have. Talk to an advisor at Berkeley. You are an alumni and they will help guide you.

If you or anyone else says ANYTHING about getting a goddamn master’s or PhD in health economics again, I swear to the high heavens…

So @Knowsstuff I just want to know, since you said that “you can’t make yourself great at [science]” and you are a physician, I’m assuming you could just snap your fingers and get an “A” in all of your med school classes?

It’s just helpful information for me to know!

Okay, you know what, everyone?

I’m just going to take your advice. Just get an MHA/MBA/Master’s in Economics/whatever especially since I’d be competitive for a master’s in economics right now!

Or I’ll just stay at my current job or find a different job in business that works closely with healthcare. I hope you’re all happy now!

This thread has thoroughly convinced me that I shouldn’t go to medical school so ty everyone.

D2 went to an undergrad know for its pre-med program. She used to tell this story.

First day of freshman year, you walk up and down the dorm hall and in every other room there’s a pre-med. After the winter break and after chem 1 grades come out, you walk down the hall and suddenly everyone is now economics major. In May, as everyone is packing to go home for summer and after calc 2 grades have come out, everyone is now a sociology major.

Science (as a career and as a discipline) is like that–survival of the smartest and hardest working/most self-disciplined.

Med school is the same way. Only all the evolutionary sorting has been prior to admission through weeding out any student who is going to struggle with the high volume of difficult and highly technical material that med school requires.

3 Likes

Why do I need to prove anything to my parents? Did you know that they told me, verbatim, that “I should do something I’m good at?” aka stop being premed?

I’m literally reliving years of college and family trauma on this thread to the extent where I literally regret making this thread at all.

This is not a safe space. I’m so triggered by all the replies and my mental health has never been better before this year.

Cool, well at least I didn’t become a sociology major! And guess what? I got an A in Chem 1 so at least I’m not that stupid!

I’m literally shaking with anger, frustration, and anxiety and I can’t make myself calm down. CC is so toxic and this is not a safe space at all.

What are you even trying to achieve this this comment?

Are you trying to tell me that I was part of the not best and fittest group or something? That I’m not cut out for science?

Because I already said above that I’m DONE AND WILL NEVER THINK ABOUT MEDICAL SCHOOL AGAIN. I’ll get that MBA/MHA/that goddamn master’s in economics and be done with it.

Should I thank my lucky stars that my brain was somehow smart enough to handle the complexity of demand curves and partial derivatives and OLS regression instead of becoming a “sociology” major?

D1 was a career changer who out right failed one of her bio classes–and right before she applied too. She ended up with multiple acceptances to med school.

Science (as a career and as a discipline) is like that–survival of the smartest and hardest working/most self-disciplined.

These two statements don’t add up. Shouldn’t nature have weeded her out too because she evidently didn’t have the smarts to succeed in biology?

So how did she end up getting not one but multiple acceptances to medical school?

Goodness gracious, please calm down. There are others encouraging you to go for med school and sharing valuable tips.

4 Likes

@PenguinCrayon

You took that entirely the wrong way. I am not to part of the fittest group. I got Cs in Ochem and gave up on a hoped-for career in chemistry research. (Never wanted to be doctor, FWIW.)

However, I was married to a PhD research scientist for more than 30 years. I know tons of professional scientists. Science a tough career. Someone is always trying to best you. To beat you to publication of your most recent research or disprove something you published in the past. Even for those who are successful in a science field, the next young hotshot is always gunning for them. (Dh always said science is a young man’s game because of the vast amount of work you have to put in to it to be good at it. My SIL is a PhD theoretical mathematician and still works even more insane hours than my daughter did during her medical residency–and she routinely worked 80-90 hours/week.)

Science is hard. It’s also incremental. No one just “snaps their fingers” and is good at it. It takes both a strong aptitude for mathematical reasoning and logic, and it takes an huge amount of self discipline and hard work. Not everyone has both. Plus all the hard work in the world won’t help any person who doesn’t have the aptitude for science/math in the first place.

1 Like

Did you not read several comments that stated that I should get a master’s degree in economics so I can apparently somehow help cure malaria and polio and another person saying “you can’t make yourself great at science?”

And that one comment from that woman whose own daughter failed biology at a post-bacc but then saying “Well, you know it’s evolution; you know, you’re no different from people who went from premed to economics to sociology” even though I was never a sociology major for one minute???

Okay, I don’t have the aptitude so the hard work isn’t worth it. Got it.

Time to start applying for those MHA and master’s in economics programs! May as well get a PhD in sociology while I’m at it!

That one doctor who said “well you can’t make yourself good at science” would lovingly disagree with you, my dear. Some people just snap their fingers and are good at it as I’m sure s/he and his/her son would lovingly tell you, hun.

Okay, time to just be a health economist then! Gotta start applying for that Msc in Economics, yay!

That’s not what I said. At. All.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.

You don’t yet know if you have the aptitude because you got discouraged during college because what appeared to come easily for some of your classmates didn’t come so easily for you.

You can certainly try again and see if you can do better the second time around, now that you’ve gained some prospective and new direction.

And with that, I am respectfully bowing out of this conversation.

And after reading this thread, I am DONE with premed.

I’m never going to look at another organic chemistry, physics, biology, whatever textbook in my life.

There’s no need to shell out 20k on a postbacc when I can just get an MHA/MBA/master’s degree in economics and just do healthcare supply chain management for the rest of my life because everyone knows that SCM in HC = MD/DO :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seriously, what was even the point of this comment if not to imply that I was one of the people who went to economics from premed because I somehow “failed” Chem 1 when I was a TA for both the lab and lecture sections? I got paid for my work and interviewed for both positions!

1 Like