How do non-teacher letter of recommendations get submitted?

My daughters high school uses Naviance. The kids are supposed to request their letters of recommendations through the application. The application only lists teachers at her actual high school. One of her recommendations will be written by her high school basketball coach, but he is a teacher at another school in the county and not listed in the high school teachers names in Naviance.

So how do you go about requesting a letter of recommendation for a teacher (or other person) that is not listed in Naviance?

Thanks!

I am a teacher, but my students requested my recommendation through common app or through the particular school application. I was all fairly easy. Our high school doesn’t use naviance, so I’m not sure how the recommendations get from naviance to the actual application?

1 Like

Make sure the college you are applying to actually accepts additional recommendations. Many schools don’t.

Ask the recommender to read this link. It’s not as easy as you might think. Be sure the recommender is happy to be involved.

Have your D ask her HS GC how they want to handle this. For schools that will take a coach LoR (which would only be an extra LoR, not one of the academic ones), the coach could always email it directly to the AO or send via snail mail, should the Naviance/Common App options not work.

1 Like

Is there some reason why you need to submit a LOR from your coach? This would be a supplemental LOR as noted by others. Colleges actually want two academic LORS and some don’t even accept supplemental LOR.

You could also contact a college and ask them what to do. I’m sure you aren’t the only student who wants to submit a supplemental LOR from someone not employed by their school district.

We had a similar issue where my son’s Latin teacher (9th-11th) moved to a private school his senior year. He had to ask her to email individual AO’s and a few schools said they weren’t allowed to verify if it had been received. Hopefully your daughter’s GC can offer additional suggestions.

Ask your gc, d20 school used naviance and her gc accepted the additional letter of rec and sent it to schools for her when allowed.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.