How do UC’s consider alternate majors?

If I understand, unlike UCLA some of the UC campuses like SD, Irvine and Berkley consider alternate majors. If the applicant is equally interested in say two specific majors, to improve chances, applicant probably can specify capped/competitive major as primary (e.g. CS) and non-capped major (e.g. Math) as an alternate ? Does alternate majors considered during the first round or come into play during the subsequent( waitlist) rounds ? If alternate major is not considered in the initial round( for those campuses which consider it), applicant may not get a shot to admit into campus.
Thank you,

Below is a summary on UC alternate majors by campus:

UCB:
Major choice is a factor for admission into the College of Engineering (COE) and the College of Chemistry (COC).
Changing majors within the CoE after enrolling is not guaranteed, unless one is CoE undeclared.

Note that L&S admits students as undeclared except for High Demand majors. For example, if apply for EECS in the College of Engineering, there is now an option to select CS in the College of Letters and Sciences as an alternate.

HIGH DEMAND MAJORS:
Art (Practice of)
Public Health
Media Studies
CS (L&S)
Data Science
Operations Research & Management Science
Statistics
Economics
Global Studies
Political Economy
Psychology
Social Welfare
Students will be guaranteed a spot in the major they selected, subject to completing the prerequisites, maintaining good academic standing in L&S, and filing a declaration form.

All students who apply to UC Berkeley and select a major within the College of Natural Resources are evaluated based on their application, not on the particular major they select.

Starting Fall 2023 applicants can select an alternate major.

UCD:
Applicants are encouraged to list an alternate major, but not in the same area as the primary major (e.g., Computer Science Engineering with alternate Computer Science in the College of L&S). Occasionally, UCD admits to the alternate major.

UCI:
UCI admits into the University first and then into the major. In the case that UCI is unable to accommodate all qualified applicants in their first-choice major, those students who indicate a valid alternate major may be offered admission in that major or Undeclared.

UCLA:
UCLA only guarantees review of an applicant’s first-choice major.
UCLA typically does not admit to the alternate major.

UCSD:
The campus does not admit students on the basis of academic major or choice of UC San Diego undergraduate college. Alternate majors are considered and capped majors are highly competitive. Also note: Capped majors require additional pre-req courses and specific GPA to be able to qualify if changing majors. Also if applying to a capped major, select an non-capped major as an alternate. Undeclared may be also offered as an Alternate major.

UCSB:
College of Engineering: Students are selected by major for all engineering and computer science majors. Only applicants with a solid background in advanced high school mathematics will be considered for admission to engineering. This includes high grades in all math courses through grade 11 and enrollment in pre-calculus or higher in grade 12. A student not selected for their first choice major will be reviewed for admission to an alternate major outside of the College of Engineering if one was selected.

UCSC:
Important Note for Prospective Engineering Students: Choice of major does not influence the selection of first-year students, except for those applicants interested in a major offered by the Jack Baskin School of Engineering (BSOE). Freshmen who are interested in a BSOE program should be sure to indicate a BSOE proposed major. Students who do not indicate a BSOE program or who apply as undeclared might not be able to pursue a BSOE program.

UCR and UCM:
Admission by major but alternate/2nd choice major will be considered if applicant does not need their first choice admission standards.

In general, an alternate major will be considered if the applicant does not meet the schools criteria for their primary major. All applicants will be reviewed first based on their primary major.

For waitlisted students, they will be waitlisted based on their primary major. For campuses that consider alternate majors, waitlisted students may be offered their Primary major, alternate major or Undeclared (if applicable for certain campuses).

2 Likes

My son just did his UC application today(hasn’t submitted yet) and several of the schools he applied to gave an option for an alternate major. There really weren’t any directions on this section of the application. He is applying to UCI, UCSB, UCSD, UCD, UCSC and UCR. For all of the schools he choose a major and an alternate major both within the College of Engineering. Do I understand correctly that the alternate major can’t be within the same college? What if he isn’t interested in an alternate major? Does he just remove the alternate?

Thanks

Most schools recommend that the alternative major not be the the College of Engineering.
UCSD wants applicants to choose an alternative major that is not capped.
USCB wants the alternative major to be in the College of Letters and Science.

The UCs have one application but they have their own admissions policies. To find campus specific instructions, you should go to the individual college websites. For example, on the UCSD admissions website, it states:

Capped majors are majors with limited enrollment. If you are applying to a capped major , we strongly suggest that you submit an alternate major on your application and that your alternate major not be capped. If you are not admitted into a capped major, you may be admitted to your alternate major. First-Year students not admitted into a capped major may be admitted as undeclared. Transfer students are not admitted as undeclared and will not be admitted to the university if they are not admitted to a major.

UCSB specifically states that they will not consider an alternate major in Engineering if the primary is also Engineering.

UCI does not specify if the alternate major is restricted to another major outside of Engineering.

UCSD specifically states not to select a Capped major as an alternate if the primary major is also Capped. All Engineering majors are Capped at UCSD.

UCD states not to select an alternate major same area as the primary major (e.g., Computer Science Engineering with alternate Computer Science in the College of L&S)

UCSC and UCR does not state if the alternate major is restricted to another major outside of Engineering.

If he is not interested in an alternate major outside of Engineering, then he can keep his choices but mostly likely will be admitted into Undeclared if the UC campus has this option as an alternate major.

I completely understand since my younger son wanted to pursue CS and it was all or nothing with no alternates.

does this also hold true for UC Berkeley?

UCB:
We will only guarantee a review of the primary major, while alternative majors will only be used if space is available, for example, as we consider available space during the wait list process.

Sorry I’m still confused. If my primary major is capped and alternative is uncapped ( L&S ) then I can be admitted to L&S undeclared right?

Possibly. They state they will consider an alternate major if spots are available so although L&S does not admit by major, applicants that listed their primary major as your alternate major may be considered first for that particular major. You want guarantees for which there are none especially for a new process.

So I may not be considered for my alternate major, but I can get into L&S undeclared ( if they admit me)?

Since it is a new process, Undeclared may or may not be an option if you are are not admitted into your Primary or Alternate major. UCB only spells out how they plan to handle the Primary and Alternate majors.

Pages 25-26 of https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/_files/documents/quick-reference.pdf give brief descriptions of each campus’ policies regarding majors listed on the application.

1 Like

My interpretation of information gathered from Reddit and other sources suggests that the alternate major is not factored in during the initial review, but may come into play during the waitlist if the first major is full. I find myself in a comparable position, with my primary major being engineering and my backup being math. Given recent UC admissions outcomes, I am beginning to think I would have been better off applying to a major in L&S.

Oh. So are you saying that if both of your majors were in L&S, you had the chance of getting into L&S atleast, even though you didn’t get your primary major?