How do you know if an HBCU is the right place for you?

<p>I'm a Junior, and I've been thinking about colleges lately, especially HBCUs (specifically Howard). What would be the reasons why an individual would choose an HBCU against a normal private/public university (besides it offering a major you are interested). </p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>[YouTube</a> - Is It Worth Going to Howard University?](<a href=“Is It Worth Going to Howard University? - YouTube”>Is It Worth Going to Howard University? - YouTube)</p>

<p>you know if something is right or wrong for you. visit the campus and see how you the atmosphere feels to you. myself personally, i want to attend a highly diverse college so i know that an hbcu is not the place for me.
so just ask yourself, do i enjoy the traditions of hbcus, do i want to attend a school with 95% of the student body being african american, and most importantly, do they offer my major.</p>

<p>" HBCU against a normal private/public university" </p>

<p>Please watch your language here. Black schools ARE "normal " universities. That indicate to me a dangerous mindset, as if the HBCU is some exotic species in education. It isn’t. Please don’t make your definition of “the norm” only what white people do, think, or where they go, as implied by this turn of phrase. </p>

<p>Also be aware that although the majority of students at an HBCU are black, there can exist among them a very wide degree of diversity, first because of the student body ( Southerners, Northerners, Foreign students, Grad students. middle-class, poor, or wealthy), and most importantly because of where the school is located. Because campus life is only part of college, a campus in Atlanta or Washignton or Baltimore may well give you exposure to a wider circle than just the school’s students–if you take advantage of it. </p>

<p>An HBCU may or may not be for you. But look at them openly–for cost, academics, social life, location–as you would a “normal” university. </p>

<p>Good luck in your search.</p>

<p>

May I add a note to this one, please? From extensive research I have done, I know that HBCUS may end up being more expensive than non-HBCUs. I have heard horror stories about the craptastic financial at HBCUS (especially Howard); it’s not an uncommon complain at all. If you don’t want lots of student loans or would struggle paying the difference, I’d think twice about an HBCU. If your parents can pay most or all of your costs, then go for it if that’s what you want. Otherwise, I’d look elsewhere.</p>