How do you loft/unloft the beds?

<p>Can anyone tell me what tools we should bring to “unloft” the bed? Do we need pliers, socket wrenches, extra man power, etc.? </p>

<p>When I was at BB in the dorm, my bed was lofted. I didn’t know if someone lowered them or not. It sounds like a big job.</p>

<p>Does anyone know what size bin will fit underneath an unlofted/lowered bed?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help. I wish I had measured when I was at BB.</p>

<p>i am not positive, but at the beds lowest position there may be 8 inches underneath.</p>

<p>to raise or lower you dont need tools, just a couple people and little muscle, unless your bed happens to be sort of stuck, then you may need a hammer to loosen it up.</p>

<p>The beds are designed to be adjusted without tools, but two people are needed to raise/lower the bed. If the bed seems stuck, I would use a rubber mallet rather than a hammer so you don’t damage the bed. </p>

<p>I prefer my bed to be at the lowest or second lowest rung (18-24 inches from the ground) so I can easily sit on my bed and do schoolwork. It is also nice to not have to climb up into a bed when one is very tired.</p>

<p>Thank you both for the info. I will bring a rubber mallet. D would prefer her bed be low for the reasons you mentioned.</p>

<p>I am not saying to loft your bed but if you do, you add a substantial amount of floor space to your room. Loft it high, and you can place actual pieces of furniture (like your dresser) under the bed. Just an option…</p>

<p>Thanks robotbldmom. My D doesn’t like heights even to gain floor space. I wish she did, it would make setting up her room a little easier.</p>

<p>I know some people want the opposite, but I like my bed high so that guests can’t sit on it – I don’t want people messing it up!</p>

<p>Cuttlefish123: Just a thought because although the room is a nice size -once you start moving items it, it gets tight rather quickly. But she might change her mind…</p>

<p>Good Luck with move-in!</p>

<p>robotbldmom: I see your point. Thanks again. I do hope move in goes well. I would rather it be hot than a thunderstorm.</p>

<p>my DD didn’t want her bed lofted either … until we got there. now she doesn’t want it any other way.</p>

<p>her preferred configuration is lofted to the max with all other furniture pieces underneath. that makes room for a butterfly chair (good to read in) and a tall bookshelf (holds her tv and other stuff … like books).</p>

<p>I have a question about help during early move-in (August 13). Will there be groups with carts to help us move in on this date or is that help just for the normal weekend to move in. My son will be moving in August 13 for marching band. We are trying to figure out if we need to bring a dolly or cart. If would be great if we did not. I know folks have talked about all the help you get but I wan’t sure it would be available for early move-in. We really don’t have much (guys are so much easier than girls) just trying to plan.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Last year when DS did OA there was definitely help during early move in.</p>

<p>Also, always wondered (to MikeW or others), when the bed is lofted with furniture under there, don’t you lose your dresser top space? Do you put your desk under there and is there enough head space to work? Can’t imagine it esp. with a tall kid…</p>

<p>I was wondering the same thing also. My son is tall and big and I don’t think he could work under there. He is thinking of not lofting his bed as he wants it low to the ground so it is easy to get out of.</p>

<p>Also, does the desk have any drawers? Thinking of storage for pens etc and file folders.</p>

<p>Regarding move in help for early move in – I know that messages have gone out to the Alumni Association Tuscaloosa group and to The University of Alabama Retirees Association soliciting volunteers to help with move in for the early weekend as well as the regular move in weekend so the University is definitely working on arranging help for the early weekend.</p>

<p>The desk has a small drawer and a filing cabinet size drawer.</p>

<p>I want to say one of the drawers is lockable, but I am not sure.</p>

<p>There will be help for early move in. Bring some water for yourself as it will be hot. Parents might want to bring additional clothing to change into after everything is in the room.</p>

<p>Son had his bed lofted to the max and the dresser under the bed. Yes, he did lose the top surface of his dresser, and no, I can’t imagine fitting a desk under the lofted bed; IMO there wouldn’t be enough room to sit up. </p>

<p>Yes, the desk has drawers (at least in Riverside E) where son kept his school supplies (pens, paper clips, etc) and a small shelf under it where he kept his books.</p>

<p>Tip: If you want to put the desk under the bed and are tall, place the desk with the front side (chair) side facing out but even with the outside edge of the bed. Then you will not be sitting under the bed. Your chair will not be completely under the bed. The desk and dresser will fit next to each other under the bed in a straight line. You will still have room behind the desk/dresser for storage. Hard to get to the storage, you say, use gliders under the furniture and move them with ease. :)</p>

<p>Ah, never thought of that configuration…great tip, robot!</p>

<p>^^ I will keep that in mind when DS lets me arrange his furniture!
cracking myself up here! :D</p>

<p>^^^ Exactly, I plan on keeping my mouth shut, and my hands and cordless drill active. I’ll let my wifey get into the fist fight with my D after she suggests the ump-teenth room configuration alternative opinion! ;)</p>