How important are extra-curriculars?

<p>My stats are pretty average, if not a bit lower than average, with a 3.96 UC GPA. I’m just wondering, assuming I score around a 2100 on the SAT, if UC admissions actually take extra-curriculars into consideration?</p>

<p>I knew that my sophomore GPA was less than satisfactory, so I took on several leadership positions I thought might make a difference on the application: (* indicates leadership position)</p>

<p>President of Photography Club - 3 years.*
Elected position on student council - 2 years*
Link welcoming committee - 2 years
Ambassadors leadership committee - 2 years*
Yearbook editor - 2 years*
CSF - 2.5 years
NHS - 1 year (only available to seniors)</p>

<p>However, after reading through a countless number of threads, I’m starting to think that my involvement means little in terms of college apps… </p>

<p>Any words of wisdom? </p>

<p>ALSO: As a quick sidenote, is the whole “upward trend” idea also a feel-better-about-yourself myth? Mediocre GPA tenth grade, all A’s in eleventh with three AP’s and one honors, does that make a difference?</p>

<p>Thanks for reading and/or responding to my self-absorbed ramblings</p>

<p>Most UCs are academic achievement oriented, meaning excellent grades and stellar test scores are essential to be competitive. </p>

<p>Berkeley is general achievement oriented (academic and extracurricular) so your involvements will mean more to the campus. Berkeley is particularly interested in students who will take advantage of what Berkeley has to offer and become agents of social change.</p>

<p>I’m curious: what causes you to call a 3.96 GPA ‘average’?</p>

<p>I hope you are just being cynical, and truly do realize that your GPA above average!</p>