how important is a visit really

<p>This is a school high on DDs list but due to distance and financial concerns we thought we'd visit only if she was accepted. It may turn out to be a bit of a reach for her...she has no SAT scores yet so should we rethink this? Thanks</p>

<p>I think a visit is the most imprtant thing you can do, especially if it is a reach. Shows ALOT of interest.</p>

<p>if a visit is definitely not possibly I would write them a letter expressing your interest and explain that it is too expensive.
I think they would understand if it was a cost thing and you lived far away. Just mention that you look forward to visiting on Accepted Student Days in the spring or something...</p>

<p>thank you so much! Here is our dilemma. DD is a soccer player and the season begins in Aug w/ summer ball and 6 v.6 throughout June and July. The season ends in November w/ playoffs. I like the idea of D applying EA because: you find out earlier, you aren't committed if the $$ isn't there and people tell me its the best way to go for reaches. She can't really go during the season and the summer would be tough to finance. Would you recommend applying RD and visiting after the season or maybe hand delivering the ap on the EA deadline of 11-15, as long as playoffs are over. Will a visit after the ap is in but before decisions are made have the same impact? It's a conundrum. ;-) Any ideas will be welcomed w/ open arms!</p>

<p>i think if you can visit after the app is sent in but before decisions are made it can help, too.
I would just send an e-mail or letter to the representative for your region..the actual person who will review her application...and tell them your impressions of the visit (hopefully good!). Pick some specific things you like, etc. and how excited you are to be applying. It can't hurt but I don't think a visit will really make or break your daughter's chances.</p>

<p>The stats for class of 2011 indicate that your D should apply EA, NOT RA.</p>

<p>ED: 43%
EA: 44%
RA: 25%</p>

<p>CC has a decent girls' soccer team. Have her make contact with the coach through the CC website and let them know of her interest.</p>

<p>Also, contact admissions and ask about visits. Explain her keen interest and the scheduling/costs issues.</p>

<p>Showing interest really helps. </p>

<p>Also, the West still accounts for only slightly over 100 of those 525 admitted last year, so someone from the rural West should have geographic appeal to CC, all things considered.</p>

<p>07Dad, I knew I could count on you :-) Thanks rma too! I'll have her contact the admissions office and the soccer coach but I know nothing about that process. I don't know if she would make a team. Her hs team is competitive and she's a good little defender but so far hasn't been chosen all league or anything. She doesn't play club because there is no club to play around here. I don't know how competitive she would be but it is worth a try! </p>

<p>We'll make it a point to contact CC to let them know that she plans to visit after soccer season but before decisions are made. Thanks to you both!</p>

<p>I did a little research on my own and found that CC plays Division III in all sports but hockey and :-( women's soccer which are both D1...sadly, there is no question but that D is not playing at that level. Maybe instead we should contact the music department. She wants to continue to be involved in music in college and she is a good mallet percussionist. If they have a need there then perhaps the orchestra leader would go to bat for her.</p>

<p>I've heard from my school counselor as well as admissions reps that if you live fairly close (within a couple hours driving) to CC, it does actually hurt your chances if you don't visit. Otherwise, it's really your benefit. If you might be within that threshold, I would highly encourage contacting CC as you planned. Besides, visiting campus has been the point of reconsideration for most of the kids I know who've thought about CC, including myself (it's what persuaded me to apply--had the opposite effect on a few friends). </p>

<p>Also, just a heads up, because CC is definitely one of those schools that values far more than test scores (which may be good news for your daughter if, in fact, it looks to be a reach), interviews are very important as well. If you can get an alumni interview scheduled (check the web site, and check it soon because there's a cutoff), this can be quite the mark for her.</p>

<p>Best of hopes!</p>

<p>I also strongly agree on the interview as an important step, if possible. I think that you are in rural what, Montana, Idaho or Wyoming? But if there is a chance to have an interview do it. </p>

<p>My S really "clicked" with the interviewer who came to his HS. She was an employee of the admissions department. It surely couldn't hurt.</p>

<p>Thanks again, I'll pass the information along to my D.</p>

<p>My S just got in ED (YAY) with decent but certainly not outstanding stats and no special hooks. I think the fact that CC really is a perfect fit for him and he demonstrated that well really helped........and the visit was important for him to put that across in a vibrant way.</p>

<p>CC is so different from most places. Is your D into an athletic, skiing culture as well as the Block Plan? The campus is different, too. The buildings are eclectic and interesting but do not have the coherent, brick and ivy feel that some people like. It is on the edge of a city with a street running through it. It has an open feel, while some prefer a cozy campus. My S and I just loved it, but I know others who took one look and decided not to apply.</p>

<p>If your D decides that CC is truly one of her top 3, she would do well to visit and also do an overnight. That will give her a lot of fresh things to write about for her "Why CC" essay.</p>

<p>Thanks Canadianmom, good advice. That a visit is more important here because of the different feel at CC is what this thread has revealed to me. D sent an email to admissions yesterday asking about an overnight vist between EA ap due date and decisions. The office is closed for Christmas break so she should hear back sometime in January. </p>

<p>It's hard to believe that by this time next year both my girls may have decisions!</p>

<p>I had a great day with my CC freshman S yesterday shopping for his x-mas, just the two of us. I asked him about whether he wanted any books and/or a gift card for movie rentals. He said that with a library just a few yards away, he really uses it to get books he is interested in and to get movies (he said that it has a huge selection).</p>

<p>We also discussed the campus layout. My point is that CC has a "small" feel yet it it has a lot at the student's finger tips.</p>

<p>It may not be for everyone and my S did a 2 nite, 3 day visit. He was there during the week and into the weekend so he experienced both the classroom and the social aspect. He knew 3 girls that were Sophs (that year) and he crashed in one of their rooms. I know that the visit solidified his interest.</p>

<p>I took S to move into the CC dorm this August. I really liked the layout AND the views of Pikes Peak.</p>

<p>I'm glad you are making contact with the admission office on these issues. I think that they will make some note of this early and realistic interest.</p>

<p>Canadianmom is correct. CC looks for solid students but isn't so rarified that a student has to be a "stats" god or godess to get in.</p>

<p>PS-- I acknowledge that I am way sold on CC. I am even more sold now that I have seen how much less transition adjustment and stress my S has had than several of his friends at other traditional arranged schools.</p>

<p>07DAD,</p>

<p>That was a very interesting PS. What did CC do to foster better transition? And which of the orientation trips did your S do? They look wonderful.</p>

<p>My S's Priddy trip (freshman orientation) was advanced backpacking with high-altitude brush clearing. </p>

<p>For my S, several things assisted in him experiencing little transition adjustment. First is the block system itself and the two block continuation class that freshmen take as the beginning first semester requirement. My S got his first choice for the beginning block(s) (which I understand they really try to make happen). The class had 13 people in it. </p>

<p>So, instead of any hassle related to scheduling and freshmen massive lecture courses (which occurs at many mid and large student body schools), he had his choice AND a small class. This really made getting to meet people in class easier and having 3+ hours a day in the classroom with them guaranteed that the students interacted.</p>

<p>The one course at a time allowed him to be able to concentrate on doing well from the beginning. A LOT of his HS friends were shell-shocked at the 5 courses and their stress at Thanksgiving break about returning for multiple papers and/or finals was palpable. I think that getting off to a good start academically (which I think the single course fosters) was invaluable. AND, the one exam at a time and no exams after any holiday reduces stress.</p>

<p>Also he has mentioned that the RA system really seems to be helpful and functioning in a way that helps get the freshmen involved with the greater campus. I heard from some of the HS friends that at their colleges the RA system is rather weak or "a joke." My S had his RA mentioned to him that there were going to be try-outs for several dance performance groups and personally encouraged him to "check it out." He was in 3 of the 11 acts (even though he had no prior dance experience). CC seems to use the RA system effectively to avoid the "first semester" all alone/no friends/no idea what is going on feeling.</p>

<p>As a general observation, CC seems to provide a good number of varied campus activities so that not having a car hasn't been a particular problem and there are free activities (and speakers etc) so there are things to do on a budget. Some HS friends say they have to make their own fun at their colleges since there isn't much offered or it is not free.</p>

<p>The system for students getting information on summer offerings, abroad programs and grant opportunites also seems to work which is a good thing if the student did not deal much with "the system" in HS. And, S went to the campus clinic, got what he needed and all without a hassle. That is not always the case.</p>

<p>I did not predict or have a lot of concern about my S having a lot of transition issues due to his personality and "I'll do it" attitude in HS. One couple I have gotten to know have a D at CC and she has also reported that she has felt that the experience as a freshman has been easy, including finding and working a campus job.</p>

<p>Small, well organized, friendly, accessable and supportive. I walked onto Emory in 1968 and there was not anything approaching that in place for freshmen. I don't think that it is a fluke at CC. I think it is part of the planned experience.</p>

<p>AND, extra bonus: it is so beautiful on campus when you can see the mountains and Pikes Peak at every turn. </p>

<p>OH-- and when the shootings at the religious campus in Colorado Springs happened, the parents/alumni network had an email out to all parents stating that all CC students were accounted for expressly including those who had an affiliation with the religious group. I didn't look into it further but that seems to indicate a system that is also there for a better experience at least for the parents who worry about things like this when they happen.</p>

<p>Thanks, 07DAD, GREAT info! </p>

<p>Hope it is OK, I have moved this to a new thread. I'm sure others will be interested plus don't want to hijack Historymom's thread.</p>

<p>canadianmom don't worry about hijacking the thread...you kind of resusitated it :-) 07Dad that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for for my DDs, both of them now have expressed interedst in CC. </p>

<p>In addition, right now as they are working themselves silly with AP work the block plan sounds amazing to them. When I mentioned how there wouldn't be traditional finals as in 5 projects/tests due in one week they were even more excited about it. So thanks to both of you!</p>

<p>Historymom,</p>

<p>Do you have twins?</p>

<p>yes I do! ID girls 17 on 12/30</p>