How is the University of Wyoming?

Hi, I just got accepted to the University of Wyoming. I live in Tennessee and applied due to the cheap out of state tuition and the scholarship. How is this school in general? Student life? Laramie? Is Denver easy to get to? I plan to study Crimonology. Any info would be good. Thank you!!!

Go on the website Niche for these types of questions. You will get a good idea of the student body that way. Alos, look at the college’s freshmen retention rate and four year grad rate. High percentages are good.

It’s about average academically. Don’t know much else about it other than that it’s basically in the middle of nowhere. Congrats on the acceptance! What attracts you to the school?

My son applied there because he loves the state of WY. He didnt go there, but WY is so cool. Remote. Cowboy. Outdoorsy.

It’s about 2 hours from Denver and there are buses. Lot of CO residents go there, so more than likely you can get a ride to Denver with someone.

Awesome!!! Yeah, I am really outdoorsy. I love to hike and go horseback riding. The only thing I am worried about is that I am not conservative at all. I am moderate leaning on the liberal side. Hope my views don’t keep me from fitting in

The school is suppose to have a good criminology program. Very cheap too

I know a girl who is going there this fall. The campus is really beautiful!

Yeah it looks nice!!! I really wanted to go to Colorado but it is too expensive

@sdsupride Same here! I wanted to apply to University of Colorado-Boulder but it was way too expensive and I wouldn’t get many scholarships.

Same!!! I will probably end up at University of Montana though because that is more of my fit.

University of Montana is in a gorgeous area! A more interesting place to go to school than Laramie, IMO.

I’ve visited all three schools. IMO if you want a CU Boulder esque atmosphere, I would choose U Montana over U Wyoming in a heartbeat. Much more liberal student body, vastly better college town (it’s worth noting that access to Laramie is frequently restricted during much of the school year), and still a decent campus.

Based on my interactions with University of Wyoming students (I used to live and work in the state) it seems that they tended to go to Fort Collins far more often than Denver.

Have you thought about University of Denver?

Thank You!!! I am about to tour all three of them myself. I did look at University of Denver, but it is too expensive!!! Montana is honestly where I am leaning toward.

Does anyone know when it starts snowing heavily in Montana and Wyoming? The only time I might be able to visit is around Christmas

I drove through laramie on the way to yellowstone. The town is SO desolate and boring. It was difficult to find even a decent restaurant for lunch (not kidding at all). The only students you will meet will be locals to Wyoming because it is their main school. Colorado area starts snowing in October even. The drive from Denver to Laramie is not too bad at all. The roads through wyoming are desperately quiet, so traffic wont be an issue until you get to Fort Collins, CO (a good college town to consider-CSU). CSU and CU Boulder are great schools and have great campuses. Boulder will have a lot more diversity as CSU is mostly residents of Colorado. Laramie is going to be a very boring college town with not much to do at all. I wouldn’t go. Good luck with your college selection!

We visited Laramie and University of Wyoming last spring. My daughter has applied there and is leaning toward going there. I wouldn’t worry about everyone being conservative, when we were there, we saw a lot of Bernie signs and shirts and signs about legalizing marijuana. It may be more conservative than many campuses, but it’s still a college and liberalism seemed to be alive and well. We found quite a few places we enjoyed eating while we were there. There were Thai restaurants and sushi bars. There was a quaint used bookstore/coffee shop that my daughter loved, and several shops, thrift stores, etc… that she enjoyed visiting. They have an awesome new gym. A girl from our town goes to school there and loves it. She gave us a tour of the campus. There are a lot of international students at UW. Frank Bruni talks about this in his book “Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be.” It’s not like everyone there is a rancher. It didn’t seem boring to me at all. There were signs up about dances and bands visiting town. There’s an outdoorsy group that our friend is in who gets together to go camping, hiking, and rock climbing in WY and Colorado. Fort Collins is only one hour away. I really liked the vibe of the place. My daughter has also been accepted at UM Missoula and MSU Bozeman. I think UW is at the top of her list due to the cost and the opportunities in the Honors Program.

I went to the Uhivereity of Tennessee in Knoxville (Go Vols!), and I am originally from East Tennessee. I think I would have enjoyed UW. I wouldn’t count it out. When you start crunching numbers, you’ll find it’s a better deal than Missoula and way cheaper than Boulder. My son was accepted to Boulder and had a Navy ROTC scholarship there to cover full tuition. Even with tuition covered, the room and board was still costly. (He ended up going to the Naval Academy instead.)

If you visit the campus, make sure you see the new gym. It’s amazing! My daughter was impressed with it, and she hates the thought of sweating.

It’s a great location, especially for outdoors. And a cute college town. Denver is not that far away - you can Goggle the distance. Great choice. (I’ma CO resident.)