How many credits to take?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>In preparation for SOAR, my son has been looking into courses for the fall semester. He is not quite sure what his major or career goals are, but has a few ideas. He would like to further explore the idea of med school (he has volunteered at our hospital for the past 2 summers and worked in a doc's office) so wants to start with the pre-med course path. He is also considering or interested in econ, business, international studies, history -social science type stuff. </p>

<p>In order to begin completing various pre-reqs that leave open a couple of different paths, he is planning to take Math 221 (Calculus - he actually took AP Calc AB as a jr. and got a 4, but never felt very comfortable with it and has not used it in over a year. He does not believe he is ready to go straight to 222 and we agree and think it is better to get a solid foundation. He'll need this whether he goes med route or econ/business). He is also planning to take Chem 109. His other choice is Psych 202 which keeps open pre-business and covers some distribution credits. </p>

<p>So, Math and Chem are both 5 credit classes with lab and multiple discussion sections. Psych is a 3 credit class. That puts him at 13 credits but only 3 classes for his first semester. To add a history or econ or lit would take him up to 16-17 credits which seems awfully high to start. It is our inclination to leave it at 13, but it puts him a little "behind" credit-wise with more pressure later. It also limits his ability to "taste" or explore a different subject or class that might help him choose a path. </p>

<p>He may have a handful of AP credits (between 3-9) depending on AP results in July, but it is not like he is coming in with 15 AP credits or anything. He will turn down the 5 credits he could have gotten for Calc so he can take Math 221.</p>

<p>Would love input/advice on whether he should stick with 3 classes/13 credits and focus on doing really well in those while also adjusting to college life OR whether he should add another class and take a heavy load. He will be going hundreds of miles from home and doesn't know anyone at UW.</p>

<p>Thanks!! :-)</p>

<p>Did he test out of the Communications Part A requirement? If not, he could take English 100 which is 3 credits, but I ‘hear’ that it is easy. This is also a required pre-business class. When is his SOAR session?</p>

<p>Hi. I just finished my first year at the UW-Madison. In answer to your credit question, I am ambitious and would take at least 16 credits. I took 18 my first semester and I did al right, but I would not recommend taking more than 16 if your son plans to have any kind of interaction with other humans. I took 16 credits my second semester and that worked out very well. I should add though, that although the teachers at UW are good, try to take classes in which you already have some sort of basis. The teachers hate to explain basics in class (although they are all very helpful in office hours if your son needs extra explanations). So if he has no basis in any of those classes (for example if he has not taken chemistry in high school) then do not push the credit limit, because he will have a full plate.
Furthermore, I’m concerned with your son’s choice to retake Calculus. I came in very interested in math and took a couple classes here at Madison already. Let me tell you that the math department here has some horrendous teachers. If Math 221 has a good teacher (look at ratemyprofessor.com) then go ahead, it’s a good idea to repeat material if you feel shaky on it; be very careful, however, and if the teacher is bad, I recommend that your son study like crazy over the summer so that he can place into a class with a good teacher or at least avoid one semester with a terrible one. The accounts on ratemyprofessor.com are very accurate and it ruins a semester to have a bad teacher in a tough class.
His idea of taking Chem 109 is very good. I myself took Chem 109H which went way too fast for me (even though I took AP Chem in high school), so don’t take the honors option. If he has a tolerably good background in chemistry then this is a very good idea. If this is his first exposure to chemistry, however, this class is going to be absolutely brutal.
I definitely recommend the physics teacher Thad Walker if your son is more interested in advanced theory rather than bogging himself down in obscure calculations. He does really good theory, but I have not liked any of the other teachers in the Physics department so be careful there too.
I hope your son enjoys his time on campus. I know I have. Just tell him to do his best with the academics and the grades will come. The first semester is rough anyway because everyone is adjusting to college life so if he really is intimidated by the prospect of taking 16 credits, then let him take 13 his first semester.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input so far. The more he reads, the more he uncertain he becomes. :-)</p>

<p>To answer a couple of questions…
We don’t know about Comm A yet. Because we live out of state, he will not take his placement tests until he is AT SOAR. His AP English Lit score will not be in until mid-July which could also exempt him (he thinks he did well on it). So, the plan is that he would take it 2nd semester if he needs it, but he hopes he will place out. His SOAR dates are 1 1/2 weeks away so the pressure is on…June 15-16, flying out on the 14th. </p>

<p>He has been using ratemyprofessor so is choosing teachers carefully, especially for some of those tough math/science classes. He seems to have a couple of decent Calc 221 options and really feels that he needs it. I know he will NOT self-study this summer. Maybe he should, but reality is otherwise.
As for Chem 109, he should be ready as he took AP Chem his senior year so his high school background is there. However, at this particular moment he is questioning his long-time interest in the “pre-med” route so we will see… </p>

<p>He is on his computer right now sorting options and exploring what “grabs” him. If he decides to pass on Chem 109, he will go with Calc, Psych, Econ 101 and another class like a lit, history, or international studies. That would be 4 classes and 15 credits which seems challenging, yet not overwhelming. He is committed to working hard, but he is also a very social person and wants to be involved outside the classroom with things like intramurals/sports, clubs, music, etc… </p>

<p>Thanks for the input. It is helpful for me to “think out loud” so I can support him with solid advice based on facts and options. His path is his to decide upon, but he is a little uncertain and is looking for some input. I don’t feel like he has to know “what he wants to do or be” right this moment, but we do want him to be exploring areas of interest with a plan of covering pre-reqs, distribution credits, etc… so that he may begin to hone in on a true path without wasting time.</p>

<p>alumnus/physician here. I was a chemistry major/honors eons ago. Taking 4 classes for 17-18 credits sounds very reasonable to me. From what I have heard about those who took AP calculus and then 222 many have problems, plus only getting a 4 a year ago makes starting at the beginning with 221 a good idea. Anyone wishing to undertake the rigors of medical school would do well to challenge themselves, stretch themselves from the beginning of college. Never take courses because they are supposed to be easy- that won’t look better on the record, won’t teach you as much and being bored is a sure way to underperform. Have him “go for it”- those who do get the most out of college. Still plenty of time for nonacademics, and if he can handle it he knows. It would be better to start with a full load and drop a class than to have excess time. He will talk with an advisor at SOAR who will hopefully recommend the same- they are a good resource. Anyone who is planning on medical/graduate school is not just an average college student- compare it to average HS students taking a study hall whereas the top students take a full load. Do have him take the chemistry first semester- there is a lot required for medical school and he may as well start it to be able to take the other courses. I’m glad he wants 109, a solid course with good students (but not the ultimate 115 for majors).</p>

<p>Who are the teacher options for calc 221? Anyways, I think the TA is far more important than the professor for calc. In both calc 221 and 222, my professors were horrible but I got solid A’s because my TA taught me everything. I know you can’t choose your TA, but keep that in mind. </p>

<p>Chem 109 is really hard and really fast if, like me, you only had 1 year of chem in high school. If he takes it, I would definitely take Mahesh Manthanpa (spelling…?). </p>

<p>Anyway personally I would just leave it at those classes. I only took 14 credits (1 extra math discussion credit) first semester but 221 and 109 definitely took up a lot of time.</p>

<p>UW advises taking fewer than 15 credits first semester. I would sign up for one more class and then if I did not like one of the classes or felt overwhelmed it would be easy to drop one and still have 12-14 credits left.</p>

<p>Thanks again. As always, good, thoughtful advice from the folks on CC.</p>

<p>I’d do one of two choices - take 16 credits with the option of dropping one of the 3 credit classes if the adjustment to college life/studies gets too hard to do well in all classes or I’d start slowly with the 13 credits.</p>

<p>The average student should take the average load, the students who want to should go for it and take the most they feel they want/can handle. A 4 course credit load could be 17 credits (5 + 5 + 4 + 3), a 5 course one could be 15 (3 x 5)- there is no one correct way to start, there are so many variables.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure I actually posted almost the same thread last year. I was enrolled for 221, 109, intro to engineering 160 (which i did next to nothing for except go to class and lab) and math 298 (a extra discussion for 221). This was 14 credits. I thought this was too little. I can’t explain how happy I was that I only took these classes. 109 demands a lot of time. I also worked but that was only a few hours a week.You can enroll for 16 and drop one but I would strongly suggest leaving it at 13.</p>

<p>At SOAR, they suggest 12-14 credits for a first semester freshman.</p>

<p>Follow Up:</p>

<p>Son is back from SOAR. Other than some serious travel headaches (cancelled flights, no luggage the entire time, etc…), he and DH had a great time. My husband had not been to Madison yet as I took son for his visits so it was nice for the two of them to go together.</p>

<p>The program went really well and son is happy with his classes - got pretty much exactly what he wanted and with a pretty decent time schedule. He went with Math 221, Chem 103, Psych 202, and International Studies 101 for a total of 15 credits. This allows him to be on a pre-med path, but also leaves other options open such as a pre-business and the chance to “try on” I.S. which interests him as well. All of these will meet gen ed requirements no matter which direction he ends up choosing. </p>

<p>Along with his classes, he is thrilled with his dorm, excited about his roomate, and got football tix today. It is coming together. :-)</p>

<p>Glad the important things worked out- they’re lucky they beat the heat wave. Now you can enjoy the summer and get the dorm stuff.</p>