How much does financial aid effect admissions?

<p>When I asked an admissions counselor, he said it was a factor in admissions. I am wondering, how much? It seems to me that CC has a higher percentage of students that are full pay. Can anyone comment on the percentage and any insight they have as to this?</p>

<p>According to CC’s 2011-12 Common Data Set, section H, the Fall 2011 cohort included 484 first-time full-time freshmen. 235 applied for need-based aid. 195 were determined to have need; 195 were awarded any financial aid (~40% of the class). On average, 99.3% of need was met of students who were awarded any need-based aid.</p>

<p>Students receiving need-based aid at other LACs (according to USNWR)</p>

<p>Grinnell … 70%
Whitman … 48%
Oberlin … 43%
Middlebury … 42%
Trinity … 41%
Kenyon … 39%
Colgate … 36%
Sewanee … 23%</p>

<p>How much does need influence the admission decision? I am not aware of any good public data to measure that. CC apparently is not need-blind. They may prefer to reject some qualified high-need students so they can cover a higher percentage of need for the students they do admit.</p>

<p>IMHO would not apply to CC if you have high need. They are looking for full-pay or close to full pay applicants. Unfortunately it is a somewhat newer trend at CC and very sad. The good news is there are some other similar schools out there that are amazing and offer much better need based and and merit aid. At the school my S ended up he got $30,000 merit aid and the rest covered in grants… so he will graduate with NO debt… and it is every bit a good a school as CC. Look around… the search is definitely more challenging if you need money… but it is important to find a school where you have little debt. Oh… and I may never know this for sure…but in my mind I am convinced he was rejected based on his high need.</p>

<p>DS is applying. We had in depth discussions on the need for aid and how it will impact his admission. </p>

<p>After watching the last 2 cycles, I agree with 5boys.</p>

<p>I have only anecdotal evidence. </p>

<p>Academically and holistically, I think DS would be accepted. With the need for aid, he ranked the school as a low reach on his list.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Again, according to the 2011-12 CDS, ~40% of the 2011-12 freshmen class received financial aid. The average aid package for those who received one was over $38K. The average need-based scholarship and grant award of those who received need-based aid (190 students) was $31,141. CC awarded over $26M in need-based & non-need-based scholarship and grant aid for 2011-12. </p>

<p>So, CC may be looking for full-pay applicants; they may prefer full-pay applicants in borderline (or perhaps even some not-so-borderline) cases. However, many admitted students are not full-pay or even close to full pay. As for the specific impact of “high” need on admissions, I think the best we have is anecdotal information, unless you can get clear advice from the admission & aid people.</p>

<p>So I would say, even if you have high need, if you are a strong applicant or have a strong preference for this school, go ahead and apply (but don’t get too emotionally invested in the outcome). If you have high need and are a borderline applicant, then consider your other options and how many applications you want to submit. Understand, though, that many factors are involved in “holistic” admission decisions. The fact that any given student was rejected with good stats but high need does not necessarily mean that need was the major deciding factor.</p>

<p>well said tk21769. is there a like button?</p>

<p>I’m not sure how they calculate aid but I am sure to have 100% of me need met, my family would need at least that average package. I applied and hopefully it won’t affect admissions although I am aware it could and so I won’t get my heart set on it.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Run your numbers through their Net Price Calculator:
[Net</a> Price Calculator ? Colorado College](<a href=“http://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/financialaid/finaidcalc/]Net”>http://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/financialaid/finaidcalc/)</p>