How much emphasis do journalism schools put on math/science grades?

<p>I realize that colleges, regardless of what concentration you're applying for, look for applicants that are well-rounded and balanced. But, I can't help being confused at an engineering applicant's need to be good at history or a journalism major's need to be proficient in physics.</p>

<p>For most schools, journalism is not separate from the college's school of arts and sciences. But, for the likes of Medill at Northwestern, Newhouse at Syracuse, and the School of Media and Public Affairs at GWU, students indicate their interest in journalism during their application. So, if these students have high grades in the humanities, high SAT scores, extracurricular activities revolving around journalism and writing and very strong essays, but underwhelming grades in their math and science classes, how jeopardized is their admission?</p>

<p>*underwhelming, for you CC overachievers, means grades in the 80's</p>

<p>I have the same concerns as you! Even more coincidental, I am looking at the same schools! In my opinion, as long as you’re a well rounded individual with a long list of extra curricular activities and great SAT/ACT scores, you’re fine. </p>

<p>My math and science scores are terrible, lower than the 80s. However, on the State Tests [regents], I’ve performed at an average. If I were you, I’d call the schools you are interested in and speak with an admissions representative. Express your interest in their school and your desire to attend, but make them aware of your current situation. Ask them if your other credentials will over shadow your “low” grades in math/science. Honestly, if your grades are in the 80s, I would not be too concerned.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I hope you’re right! I’m from New York too and have also had pretty decent regents grades. I’m going to Northwestern early July so I’ll make sure to find out. Good luck to you as well (:</p>