How strong are my extra curriculars?

FYI: I am a marketing major and I would like insight for how much of an advantage my ECs can get me.

Hooks: D3 athlete (possible), First gen

Internships:

• Marketing intern for tech startup (nonprofit) that collaborates with universities to run hackathons (2021-present)

• Marketing intern for nationwide tutoring 501k (2021 summer)

Volunteering:

• founder of community nonprofit group that donates to children that are struggling with illnesses (2020-present)

• founder/marketing director of 501k certified nonprofit that promotes racial equality in the community (2019-2021)

• student tennis coach for children that are from low income families (2019-2021) bronze presidential award

-Student teacher at a Korean school (2017-2020) gold presidential award

School activities:

• varsity tennis (2019-present) captain of next year (won state, county, league, individual titles)

• newspaper club (2020-present) no leadership position

• DECA (2019-present) (won state and national level awards all three years) possible leadership position next year

• girls who code (2022 summer program)

Work experience:

• bakery (2020 summer)

• waitress at a restaurant (2021-2022)

Note: Thank you for reading this much I know its a lot. I would really like the admissions to see that I really went in depth to explore my passions: marketing and helping children.

What is most important is you show depth and tenure. I see that in tennis and the student teacher. Your list is fine.

Keep doing what you’re doing - but only do it if you enjoy it.

Don’t worry about no leadership - worry about what you’re doing - make sure it has an impact and that you can explain/quanity it. Example - newspaper club- how many articles have you written, etc.

Good luck.

2 Likes

You might want to Google “Applying Sideways MIT Admissions”. Read the blog that this will take you to. What is recommends IMHO is also valuable for other top schools.

It looks to me as if you have done exactly what the blog recommends: You are doing what you want to do, and doing it very well. You should just keep doing this.

“Leadership” means making things better for everyone who participates. This sounds like what you are doing also.

I am not in any way associated with admissions. However, I think that your ECs are fine. Just keep doing what feels right to you, and make sure that you apply to at least two safeties.

It varies a lot by school but, ECs are nice to have on top of grades, course rigor and strong test scores - for the schools that still require them.

Honestly, at most selective college your ANY list of ECs won’t get you considered if you don’t have a really strong academic record.

Your ECs are certainly good enough to support an application that is already strong academically.

2 Likes

@xoxo5551

So…what does the rest of your application profile like like? GPA? Strength of courses taken? SAT or ACT score?

And what colleges are you hoping to apply to?

In my opinion your misinterpreting why schools want to know about extracurriculars. They want to get to understand you and the things that you do outside of your regular curriculum can give them a different perspective. I’m not sure it matters what the extracurriculars are per say. It’s more important what your EC’s say to the AO about you. I hope you weren’t involved in the ECs you had simply to put them on your college app. I hope you enjoyed them or learned something from them. That is far more valuable to you not just on your application but for life beyond college. I guess a second point is not to worry about it. You can’t change it now even if it were important. Good luck.

4 Likes

Basic Stats:
GPA: 4.4 (we don’t have unweighted)
Course: 9 ap (by senior year)
ACT: 32
My top choice for college right now is Emory or Emory Oxford as a marketing major

That’s a reach school - but that’s ok - you need reach, target, and safety.

Are you seeking a mid size school in a city, but not directly in the city? Or just mid-size - for example, Elon is an excellent b school and it’s a safety for you.

Any cost issues - or do you have a budget, etc?