How to Frat?

<p>I’m about to start my second year at UA. You guys would call me an OOS I think, (out of state?). I won’t bother mentioning what state I’m from… The reason I’m making a thread is because I decided sometime last year that I want to do a sophomore rush. </p>

<p>No one in my family went greek and I had no plans on it when coming to Alabama. I really had no knowledge of how the greek system worked and still hardly do. I got asked a lot whether I was ‘rushing’ at the beginning of the year but nobody explained what it was. Point is I really know next to nothing of the greek system, particularly at Bama. </p>

<p>I’m a scholarship student so keeping up my grades is important. I managed a whole year of heavy engineering course load my first year and have switched majors to business with a much lighter schedule this fall. My plan is to get a part time or full-time job during school to pay my dues and other costs. I’d like to be financially independent from my parents for everything if I can. If you guys could give me some estimates of semesterly dues for frats at Alabama I’ll have a better idea of what it is. I’ve heard fraternity dues range from 10k to $500 a semester. Which gives me really no idea of what to expect. </p>

<p>Although other threads have pointed out that a sophomore rush is beneficial to allow oos students to get to know the frats, it didn’t help me much and I only know a small handful of greek guys.</p>

<p>I’m a blank slate here, help appreciated.</p>

<p>As a sophomore, the important thing to do at this point is to get on the rush lists for various fraternities and attend some of their events. Talk to your friends who are in fraternities and ask all of your friends which fraternities they’d recommend you to pledge. Many GDIs are actually quite familiar with the various fraternities, especially if they attend a lot of events hosted by fraternities/sororities.</p>

<p>As for costs, the one’s I’ve looked into seemed to cost around $1500-$2500 per semester and some at the upper end of that spectrum included housing in that price. There are fraternities that cost more than that and a couple that might cost less.</p>

<p>I will say that working full time (40 hours per week) and attending school full time (15 hours of class and 30 of studying per week) is not recommend. UA generally lets students work 15-20 hours per week (25 in some positions), which would not leave a lot of time for pledgeship, though it could be doable.</p>

<p>If I may ask, what do you seek from joining a fraternity? It’s a big decision to go Greek and can be a large time commitment, especially during pledgeship.</p>

<p>First and foremost, they are fraternities, not frats because that carries a little bit of a negative connotation. </p>

<p>Rush is the event where you get to know the fraternities and they get to know you. You go to a lot of the houses and interact with the brothers to get a feel for who you fit in with. You should go to as many fraternities as possible and find who you fit in with best. </p>

<p>Pledgeship is an enormous time commitment which is why a lot of people take a reduced courseload for that semester. From what I’ve seen, most fraternities require that pledges stay at the house until about 5 for study hall. There are often swaps with sororities on Thursday nights during the Fall and date parties during the Spring. </p>

<p>Do not get too distracted by the cost of dues as many fraternities have scholarships and aid to make it more affordable. The old row fraternities (the ones on University Blvd) are more expensive however. </p>

<p>As far as tips go, I would say that you should wear preppy clothes and be outgoing. They cannot get to know you if they don’t talk to you.</p>

<p>I have a few friend’s sons that are in fraternities and they have mentioned it being much more than that- I know it depends on the fraternity-if you live in house, the more dues are+ more parties and alcohol. I recall last year that pledges have to clean up late into the night after parties and drive the brothers around alot… some even had to go to gameday and save a spot very early in the morning-</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I’m not too worried about making it all work since I’ve had good experience in meeting demands. </p>

<p>If those are the numbers then it’s not as bad as I thought. Since I have housing scholarship I’d like to live on campus which I think is better than living off campus when it comes to fraternity participation. Last year I took 15 hours of engineering while playing a club sport so I think having only 11 business hours will help me out this year. I’m hoping to join a fraternity because I have no ties to this region or university. My first year was terrible and it feels I’m missing out on college because I’m a recruited oos. Also I’m used to being socially prolific so scraping by with a small group of friends is not my cup of tea. Either go big or go home. </p>

<p>I’ve had the frat thing lectured to me before pramirez, but it was phrased as “you wouldn’t call your mother a whore would you?” </p>

<p>Hopefully I won’t get a hazing treatment in a mature frat. I’ve never been bullied in my life and I don’t think I’m the type. Do sophomores get more leeway in that?</p>

<p>Are you taking 11 hours total? If so, remember that you are no longer considered to be full time (12 hours). I would highly recommend taking an additional hour so you don’t run afoul of any scholarship or financial aid regulations.</p>

<p>Just because you’re from OOS doesn’t mean that you can’t create ties to the University or the region. pramirez and I are both recruited OOS students and while our homes may be outside of Alabama, we have developed ties to UA and Alabama. It is perfectly normal and somewhat expected to not have as many friends your freshman year than you did as a senior in high school, especially when you’re from OOS.</p>

<p>As for hazing, there is a difference between illegal activities and things that are moderately embarrassing. It is also important to note that the process is not meant to be bullying. Think of rushing and pledgeship as part interview, part obstacle course and part vesting period and you’ll have a better idea of the process.</p>

<p>Echoing pramirez’s tips, be confident (not cocky) and personable. The fraternity brothers are looking for guys who they feel would make great brothers of the fraternity.</p>

<p>lol, you’ll get treated like every other pledge regardless of your sophomore standing. </p>

<p>As far as hazing well that all depends on your definition of the word.</p>

<p>Will you get beat? No</p>

<p>Will you get yelled at? yes</p>

<p>Will you do yard work and cleanups at 4am after parties? yes</p>

<p>Will you save seats, carry ice, get drinks for the actives at football games? yes</p>

<p>Will you have fun? Absolutely</p>

<p>If any of the above don’t agree with you. Then you might want to join a club or church group because fraternity life at UA won’t be for you.</p>