Howard Merit Scholarships- Prospective Student

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on merit scholarship packages at HU!
D applied EA to Howard on 9/30.

Stats-
1450 SAT Composite
1460 Superscored
GPA 100/100 Weighted
Rank 12/204
She has a pretty rigorous AP-filled workload and some decent ECs

I know that Howard no longer has automatic scholarships but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much could be possible
Thanks!

@meggynicole My daughter is currently a Sophomore at Howard who had a similar SAT score and was in the top 11% of her class rank coming out of high school. She ended up with a competitive full ride scholarship (Bison STEM Scholarship) from Howard, but initially received 2 institutional scholarships which basically added up to full tuition at Howard or about 27K per year. Howard does have some need based aid/scholarship money so a family’s finances could affect how much is ultimately given to a student.

Good news for us (I also have a son in the class of 2020) is that we won’t have to wait as long as I did for my daughter (didn’t receive her 1st scholarship offer until March) as Howard looks to be awarding some scholarships for EA accepted students in Decemeber. See the quote from Howard website below.

• “Early Action (EA) is a nonbinding admission plan. EA allows high achieving students the opportunity to receive their admission decision early in the admissions process. EA acceptance decisions are provided to students in December. Scholarships are also awarded at this time for all accepted Early Action & Early Decision applicants that meet the specific requirements. EA and ED applicants with incomplete applications after November 15th will be moved to the regular decision applicant pool.”

https://www2.howard.edu/admission/undergraduate/domestic

Thank you so much for your input! Very helpful!

You are so helpful and One of the best things that has happened Howard University Scholarship’s Thread!

@ ChangeThe Game! thanks for the info. My daughter has been accepted and we’re also weighing options. Did your daughter get her two institutional scholarships renewed for the coming year? I’ve seen a few videos commenting on how financials can get messed up with the school.

Hey @DoctorDe. My daughter ended up turning down the two other institutional scholarships initially offered for a later competitive full ride scholarship that she is currently still on. If you have received the scholarship offer, make sure you review the scholarship contract with your child as every person that I have seen with an issue was actually due to not meeting the criteria set in the Scholarship contract around either the GPA requirement or dealing with falling below the amount of hours required due to dropping a class.

The HUFS contracts that I have seen don’t have a probationary period, so if a student fails to meet any of the scholarship contract criteria, they will lose the merit aid and they don’t have a lot of recourse to get that merit aid back once it is lost.

1 Like