How's the transportation?

<p>I’ve fallen for Bard, but the location worries me somewhat. It seems like it is very isolated, which I do like, but at the same time, I’m going to want to visit home sometimes! </p>

<p>Bard is only 2 hours away from NYC (where I’m from), but that’s by car. Does the surrounding area have trains, buses, or some other means of transportation readily availaible?</p>

<p>There are shuttles and the loop bus that take you to and from the Rhinecliff Amtrak station (15 minutes away) and the Poughkeepsie Metro-North train station (40 minutes away). You can also get rides from friends with cars, though if they drive you to Poughkeepsie, it’s generally standard to pay them $20 for gas and time and whatnot.</p>

<p>It’s easy to get into NY city - lots of Bard students go in for the day, evening, weekend, etc. There’s also a taxi service from the train station if none of your friends with cars happen to be available - under $20 for the trip.</p>

<p>Sophomore D has been there several times. “Easy peasy lemon squeezy”. <jamie oliver=“”></jamie></p>

<p>Is two hours really that bad for you? As a boarding school student, I lived 1000 miles away from home as a 15 year old, and knew many like me. Two hours really isn’t that bad.</p>

MY dd is admitted, and now we are looking at logistics. We are on the west coast. It looks like the best way to travel is to fly into newark, then amtrak to rhinecliff. This makes a long day of travel even if all goes well . How frequently do the amtraks typically run (non-covid)? Is there a better option?

Thanks!

Hi–

My son’s pals & roommate (from LA) used Albany, NY airport. About an hour or so from Bard. Uber or car service a good option.