I chose (insert UC) over Cal/UCLA

<p>I know some people who chose UCSB over LA</p>

<p>and some who chose UCI over Cal (because of the region)</p>

<p>I'm thinking of choosing Davis over Cal, even though it's always been my dream to go to Cal. I'm trying to see which of the two is better for me to get into Med school >_<.</p>

<p>Me too! Except I wanna choose SD over CAL. I am also thinking of UCSB and Pepperdine though, but more leaning towards UCSD && UCSB...I think the better one for us to get a better GPA for medical school would not be Cal unless you can handle the competition and hard classes because I honestly don't think I can. lol.</p>

<p>aphrodite:
Davis definitely has less competition among students, which would make a higher GPA easier to attain (that and the MCAT pretty much decide admission). In addition, they've also got a medical school nearby, which would allow for lots of clinical experience.</p>

<p>agenalay & dmission:</p>

<p>I'm thinking of exactly what you guys are thinking in terms of the level of competition/GPA/medical center. This means that I only have one month to decide whether or not I can handle the workload at UCB! xD.</p>

<p>Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.</p>

<p>I'm thinking of choosing SD over Cal. I think I'll have better opportunities at SD for marine sciences and biotechnology (my possible career choices). Also, I'm in love with the ocean and can't see myself away from the beautiful La Jolla!</p>

<p>I know of two young women who chose UC Riverside over UCLA. Yes, I know, I was surprised by that myself, but it's true. </p>

<p>One of them was an art major who went to Riverside and loved it. </p>

<p>The other young woman was our tour guide when we visited the UC Riverside campus in February. She was a very personable sophomore who said that she had been accepted to UCLA but chose Riverside because they offered her so much aid that it was essentially free for her. She also was very happy at UC Riverside.</p>

<p>One of my VERY wise fellow moms says, "It's not a matter of choosing the BEST school, it's a matter of choosing the best school for YOU." (I'd like to pretend I'm as well-grounded as she is, but I'm not. :) ) That mom went to Columbia herself, AND she is also wonderful enough to have encouraged her son, who is a top student, to visit and seriously consider UC Santa Cruz because she thought it was a good fit for him. As it turned out, her son has since been accepted by both Cal and UCLA. He got significant aid from UCLA and will probably go there to study screen-wriitng.</p>

<p>Best wishes in all of your decisions! :)</p>

<p>I would agree with the statements here. Choose the school you feel best suits you, and if its your number one school, but financial aid is a factor, try to find ways to alleviate your situation without picking another school based on rewards. A lot of people I know regret choosing a school just because they could not attend their favorite due to financial aid, and realize they could have sent letters or tried pulling out loans. I choose UCB because of the distance from home factor and the cooler whether, it beat the heck out of where I live. Also, I believe in most circumstance just because a school has more competition doesnt necessarily mean that you should choose another school over it because it is easier. I realized that if a school is hard, it makes one work harder and study much more than normal and this will help with post undergrad tests like the MCAT etc because you will learn the material for the test and more. Its just like that hard teacher in high school. He/she may be tough, but in the end you realize that you learn so much more than other people in the same class.</p>

<p>I chose Cal over UCLA. lol</p>

<p>Don't choose one UC over another because you think it will be easier; you will find you are sadly mistaken. Instead choose the environment that best suits you and where you feel you will be happiest.</p>

<p>i chose ucsd over cal.. i got full tuition at SD, didn't like the liberal scenes of berkeley, and felt it was too far (i could get the same education at sd near home).</p>

<p>i know a girl who rejected cal for uci and is graduating next year... another classmate of mine is withdrawing her acceptance from LA to go to SD.. someone who got rejected to SD but accepted to LA and chose to go to community college to transfer to SD..and a friend's friend who supposedly appealed to ucla and succeeded... but decided to go to merced..</p>

<p>I fully agree with the above posters. For one, you DO NOT need a science degree to get into med school so long as you take the med school prep classes in math and science. A science dregree does help in the MCAT prep area. In fact, med schools like well rounded people. Two, pre-med is hard and competetive no matter where you go to school, you also have to work, volunteer and/or do research in medical related fields to get into med-school these days; three, although GPA and MCAT are the first screening, med-schools do know that top schools such as UCLA, Cal, UCSD are more difficult that the lower tear schools, especially in terms of competition; and finally four, do you know that approx. 2-3% of the students who say they are going pre-med actually end-up in med-school? Choose the school (and major) that you like and that is the best for you financially because if you are happy there, you will do better academically. Good luck!</p>

<p>I haven't picked a UC yet, but I am definitely picking UCSD or UCI over Cal/UCLA because of Regents. xP</p>

<p>im stuck between cal and la [cal being 6,000 a year, la 7000 a year] and i want to do premed and get into john hopkins or harvard, or -reaching high, oxford for med school... so i dont know which to choose, my dad is set on me going to ucla and hates cal, he even told me that showers are co-ed to try to scare me,.....</p>

<p>The co-ed showers aren't so bad. I was so used to them by the end of the year that I was starting to wonder why ALL bathrooms (everywhere) weren't co-ed lol.</p>

<p>But since you're doing premed, I'd go with UCLA mainly because they always seemed more premed-friendly.</p>

<p>D selected Davis over Cal(Spring Admit) and UCLA --it was a hard choice as most everyone at her HS (peers and teachers) "knee jerk" reaction or advice was either Cal or UCLA without even asking what she wanted to study. After visiting all three schools (she has a brother at CAL ) and researching the program for her major ( Env Science) she decided Davis was the best fit for her - academic and all around. Being a spring admit at CAL definitely influenced her decision.</p>