I don't know where to go to college

I was accepted into two colleges and now I don’t know which to pick. One of the colleges covers my whole cost for the first year, even having money left over. While the other is more selective and has a history for having exceptional learning/teaching. The first option is near my house, that’s why it’s less cheaper and also sounds more comfortable. Should I go out of my comfort zone even though I’m not 100% sure if I’m ready, or should I stick it out to college 1 for my financial benefit?
Some things to note~
College 1

• has a high acceptance, but also lower graduation rate
    -cheaper
    -would live at home

College 2
-best public college in my state/ exceptional STEM program
-would have to pay more out-of-pocket/ take out a loan
-live in a dorm…
-new city (pro in my eyes)

Please help me out!! based on personal experience and opinion

How much of a loan would you and your parents need to get to fund the 2nd college? Are your parents OK with taking out loans? Remember you as a student cannot take out more than $27K for 4 years in loans, so anything beyond that amount would need to be funded by your parents.

What major were you admitted into for both schools?

Honestly I’m not sure yet, and I’m struggling to find out how much to plan to pay, because college two covers majority of the tuition, fees, rooming and food except for $500- so I would need to plan for that and extra costs such as books. My parents would be the one to take out a loan. I am admitted to both colleges under Anthropology, planning to have a focus on criminal anthropology with a minor in Environmental science.

College 2, 100%. But only your parents can say if the finances will work. Of course, many students can have a fine college experience as commuters. But if you really want to find your feet and it won’t break your family’s finances, it’s better to gain the independence of living at college.

I’m not seeing anything about #1 that sounds interesting or exciting. You have much more positive things to say about #2, so if your family can swing it, go there.

8 Likes

It would be helpful to name the colleges, btw. We can give you a better opinion then.

Are you saying the best public university in your state is giving you an almost full ride, and you are wondering about that?

College is a time (in my opinion) to grow and learn more about yourself. There will still be familiar things even at this second school…so it’s not like you will be getting dropped on the moon.

It sounds like you have a great opportunity.

College two? The best public in your state…or was this a typo?

2 Likes

the colleges are NC State and UNC Greensboro.

@doglver

Are you saying that NC State will cost you $500 a year?

Yes, but I have to consider the extra costs of books, buying the things for my dorm, and paying back the loans they offered me because the financial aid they sent included $3000 worth of loans they automatically offered me.

That $3000 in loans…over four years…will be $12,000 with a repayment of under $200 a month.

Re: books and your other discretionary expenses…get a summer job. You should be able to cover those costs with your summer earnings. Also, working 10 hours a week or so while in college will surely help with continued discretionary expenses.

What exactly do you think you need for your dorm? Our kids did their initial shopping at our house. They got towels, blankets, pillows, some decorations they wanted to take, etc. They didn’t really need to purchase much. And they both had nice dorm rooms.

4 Likes

Okay perhaps at this point i’m simply overthinking the situation. I’m the first to go to college in my family therefore scared to screw everything up lol. Thank you for your insight it helped see me things in perspective.

1 Like

I applaud you for thinking this through carefully. I also agree that you have a phenomenal opportunity at NC State… financially but more importantly the chance to grow. Do not be afraid to make missteps or to admit you may be homesick at some point. If that happens, do not be afraid to reach out to the campus resources (dorm RA, advisors, professors, mental health services, FGLI cohort, etc.); they are there to help you succeed.

Regarding the dorm room… ignore the over the top rooms you see online. That is a minority of students. Keep it simple, bring the necessities, Amazon delivers if you forget something… do bring photos and small special items from home that will bring you comfort.

A big congratulations to you!

8 Likes

And you have some time. One of my kids scores some really good dorm things at flea markets and tag sales. And some were once she got to college!

As noted, bringing things from home to make your dorm room your new home is nice!

Good luck to you.

BTW, we toured UNC Greensboro, and while it didn’t make the application cut off for our kids, it was sure a nice school.

But given your choice…I’d say…go for NC State!

1 Like

Wait which is college #1 and which is college #2? I am confused.

Regardless it sounds like both are affordable, but one is free. And one involves a smallish loan. Is that right?

I hope you can choose the school that is the best fit for you.

Get used textbooks and consider renting them!

Make sure that you fully understand the finances. The living at home may actually be more expensive. You say the one covers your cost for year one. What about 2-4?

I’m in NC and familiar with both schools. They are both good. NC State is obviously more selective, but UNC-G is a good school and would still offer you a college experience. It’s not like community college. UNC-G is probably more diverse than NC State if that is a consideration.

I think you could succeed at either one. Have you been able to tour them? With your potential major in Criminal Anthropology and Env Science have you talked to the profs in the departments? I know State is great for things like Env Science. I don’t have a sense of how they differ on Anthro enough to recommend one over the other.

UNC-G was on my D22’s list and she did apply, but ultimately decided to go to a small school instead.

1 Like

Right. Both of my kids hardly purchased any textbooks. One kid did most homework at the library, which had all the textbooks for use while studying there. Other books were handed on, downloaded for a cheaper price, or borrowed. There are ways to afford textbooks.

What happens for years 2, 3, and 4.
Go with #2.

You do not need a trousseau to go to college. Join your local buy nothing group on FB, and some parent will be delighted to hand down to you the extra long twin bedding, and peobably anything else you need or want. Take the better school.

They’re both good schools. I know alums from both who are highly successful in their fields. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice here.

Take a tour, talk to the departments at the schools, talk to your parents, and check in with yourself about which school feels right for you.

Either one you pick will be fine.