I have good stats [4.0, 1540, likely NMSF], but I am completely lost in the admissions process [PA resident, <$15k parent contribution, PSU and Pitt NPCs say too expensive]

Lafayette guarantees to meet the full demonstrated financial need of our students as long as they meet the filing deadlines . We are also among a small number of top colleges and universities dedicated to eliminating or lowering the loan burden of students from families with incomes under $150,000.

BUT this student want to major in something related to finance or economics. Why Lafayette?

Maybe Fordham is worth a look see.

3 Likes

Ok, I was focusing on schools and forgot about major.

1 Like

Thank you! Could you elaborate on what the video should be? As a bass player, I have not had the opportunity to perform a solo piece, so I do not have a recording of anything like that.

Also, I will make sure to check out that website.

Check out The Ohio State University as a match. It has a well-regarded finance program, 57% acceptance rate, and some large merit scholarships available to out-of-state students.

2 Likes

I have looked into Fordham and I am strongly considering applying! There is a scholarship (I think somewhat competitive) available for full tuition for National Merit Scholars that would be quite nice.

5 Likes

Obviously a great location for finance - lots of internship opportunities, and I would say it has a pretty robust alumni network (I may be a bit biased as an alumna myself :wink: ).

Honestly, even with stats like yours, your list is super-reachy. You know you need more match and likely schools, so that’s a good first step. I would avoid applying to all Ivies, because they really aren’t all the same, and you’re talking about over-extending yourself with applications that involve multiple supplements and are likely to yield very few admissions. Be pickier. The good news is that lots of schools (not just T20s) can hook you up with great internships and career connections. So you should ask questions about how the career centers provide support. You might also look for schools that give merit - but also extra merit for musicians (even if you don’t plan to major in music). Some you might want to consider are Connecticut College, Lewis and Clark, Oberlin, Kenyon, Skidmore, Rochester, and the University of Denver.

5 Likes

Hello, me again! I was hoping to bother you with one more question about NMF.

Does the timeline go like this?

I apply to the school, then I get a decision, then I get notified of finalist standing, then I contact the school in hopes of receiving the scholarship?

1 Like

Each school has information on their website about what they are looking for in music supplements. What about the pieces that you prepared for all state?

This is the info from Williams

Yes, I am well aware of the extensive reach schools on my list! However I have done lots of research into ALL of them and strongly believe I would love my experience at every single one. Thank you for the advice and school suggestions! I will look into those.

1. You get told if you make NMSF in early September
  2. You apply to schools (you should apply to the NMSF/NMF schools EA)
  3. You hear back from some schools in December (the ones you applied to EA)
  4. You hear back from National Merit about whether you make finalist in Feb I think (based on your grades you 100% will)
  5. You hear back from other schools in March-May1st
  6. If you choose to attend a school that offers you National Merit Scholarship, you have to list them officially as your first choice by May 31st, until then list yourself as “undecided.”

You do not need to contact the big-merit NMF schools about getting finalist standing. The National Merit people actually contact the schools. The schools will consider you automatically for their NMS scholarships. But DO be sure to list that you are NMSF on your applications.

4 Likes

This answer is perfect. It has all of the information my family and I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Since you plan to study finance or economics, have you looked into Rice university? Their business school is decent, recently started undergraduate business major, and offers decent financial aid packages. There is Shepherd school of music at Rice, also an orchestra for students not in shepherd. A good portion of the non-music major orchestra, Campanile, were members of all-state orchestras in high school.
Another way to set up your long list is to look into previous students like you. Ask your teachers, orchestra directors, coaches, scout parents, etc. They may remember someone several years ahead of you with similar stats and interests. I always tell my students “you remind me of John Doe from 2 years ago and he is currently having a great time at ABC university”. Of course you won’t follow their steps but can use them as reference points.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I did look into Rice, but as my “reach” list grew I had to cut down on some schools, and I decided to cut Rice. I will definitely make a note to strike up a conversation with some of the adult figures in my life that you noted. Thank you!

@brycec you can also just list performance in your EC’s. I hesitate to mention music supplements but another poster tagged me on this. It sounds like you are talented and hard working in music. Have you done any small ensemble or duo work? You could ask the schools what they would want. The general advice is to do a supplement when talent and accomplishments warrant one, and if there is doubt, use the EC list.

I think I will stick to the EC list

I am a bit worried that the supplement would do more harm than good. Thank you for all of the information!

1 Like

Well I admire your decision. Your contributions will still be valued.

A couple schools you may want to consider (and run the NPCs for) are:

• Lehigh (PA ): About 5600 undergrads
  • Fairfield (CT): About 4800 undergrads
  • Trinity (CT): About 2200 undergrads
  • Baruch (NY): About 16k undergrads
make sure to also look into the Macaulay honors program
  • Southern Methodist (TX): About 7100 undergrads

This link may also be helpful for you: Top Feeders to Wall Street

If you like top 20, you like others. Your conflating make with rank.

You can find internships anywhere. That’s up to the kid hustling.

If you are NMSF U Tulsa is a full ride. Fine school.

With your #s lots of schools would be great from a U Miami on the mid larger size to an F&M, Richmond on smaller.

My kid goes to C of Charleston. They don’t have too many like you. She has 6 internship offers in DC for fall - 4 paid, all good ones. On the cc, they say getting these are tough. My kid had no issues at Alabama - 5 job offers. If the kid hustles they win. There’s many top 20 kids that don’t have drive and ambition and don’t win.

Don’t conflate top 20 or top anything is needed for internships or success.

Agreed with finance - you’re better with a USC (still a reach) who places in IB and rewards NMF, Fordham but kids get to Wall Street from many schools.

One recent kid wanted to transfer from Va Tech because they get not IB yet a linkedin search refuted that. So it can happen from anywhere.

A Trinity, Connecticut College, Lafayette (they place in finance including investments/money management) may be good to look at. Rice, Vandy, WUSTL are reaches but maybe worth a shot. SUNYs will likely be affordable.

Here is the list of schools that meet need. You can get to anywhere from anywhere and IB is moving to cities like Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta too - so yes some make life easier but they do have to be affordable - and with grit and determination, you can pursue your goals. Typically after 2nd year - bust tail to get an intern and you will. @neela1 suggestion my engineering kid from Bama reached out to Jane Street. They reached out the next day.

All these schools are difficult admits but run NPCs on the less competitive - Denisons of the world.

Tulsa, Bama, Maine and more - not the biggest names but HUGE HUGE savings. That’s a trade off and gives you a cushion/safety net to then dream big.

1 Like

MIT students can major in economics (course 14) or business (course 15-1, 15-2, or 15-3): Majors & minors | MIT Admissions

However, MIT has extensive science general education requirements (that are not “physics for poets” type like at many other schools): General Institute Requirements < MIT

2 Likes