I honestly have to say this about TCU

<p>I’d only like to comment on one stereotype mentioned… that northeasterners are cold on the outside (I can see how that impression would hold), and, cold on the inside. </p>

<p>No, northeasterners are not cold on the inside. They are not like Californians, or Australians, or some Southerners (including Texas) who might appear to be your best friend the minute they meet you, but in time of need <em>some</em> are not to be found. Northeasterners establish friendships more slowly, but very possibly, more deeply.</p>

<p>newJersey17 – I understand your impressions. I wish you had confined your post to the positives of TCU and not compare to the northeast!</p>

<p>In time you’ll see that people are the same everywhere, just with different style. There are plenty of conservative, friendly people everywhere, if you are patient to see behind the cultural facade.</p>

<p>I say this as a person who very much appreciates Southern Hospitality, and Texas Hospitality, which are slightly different.</p>

<p>which brings me to the character John Lithgow played in Terms of Endearment, who said, upon observing very rude treatment of a cashier toward Debra Winger’s character: “she must be from New York”.</p>

<p>Bejoyfulalways, we are from the north also. I think all of the non-Texans will feel some cultural differences, but I don’t think it will be “shock” necessarily. As some have posted, the DFW area is a sophisticated area and so the differences these days are less glaring. I grew up in the Northeast and went to school in the south (not Texas) and I loved the new experience. Back then, the south really was a lot different and I found that at the beginning, I was impatient with the slower pace of life but, boy, did I come to appreciate it. I moved back north after college graduation but later in my life, I worked in Texas for 3-4 years and totally fell in love with it also.</p>

<p>Now, all three of my children have headed (or are about to head) south for college. It is a wonderful time in your life to try something new! As for your second question, no, I don’t think you’ll feel like an outsider. If anything, you might feel lucky to be the one who is a little different and gets a little more attention! And as others have also said, Texans are a friendly bunch and they will welcome you, I am sure.</p>

<p>I couldn’t help but throw my two cents in regarding kids attending college in a region different from their home state. I have two kids attending school in different regions out of state and my third is looking at TCU among others. I have always encouraged my kids to go out of state for several reasons. First, in addition to academics (obviously) a large part of a college education is learning to adapt to different situations and different people. Second, it does them a world of good to be out of my sphere of influence.</p>

<p>What they have found is that there are some really nice people where they are and also some real jerks, just like where they grew up. I don’t think it is fair to say that one region is more friendly than another,although they may be initially, people eventually all sort themselves out into nice people and not so nice people regardless of the region. My kids have had to learn to deal with this, and ultimately, isn’t this why we send them to college, to learn how to deal with the world better? BTW I’m not from tx or the east coast.</p>

<p>thank you, thank you for all your helpful responses!</p>

<p>I still have a couple reserves about TCU (I’m not interested in Greek life, I’m afraid that would be a big issue)</p>