I thought I was prepared for everything

<p>I guess we haven’t hit rock bottom yet as we are getting at least 10 texts a day from freshman DD during Sorority Recruitment. Once Friday comes, and the phone goes quiet, DH and I may have to seek some liquid therapy to cope with an empty nest.</p>

<p>Funny how all the advice DH and I were dispensing pre-move in (and getting the cold shoulder for) is NOW sinking in! She may come to appreciate us yet…</p>

<p>^^^ It’s amazing how smart of a man my Dad became when I turned 19-20… ;)</p>

<p>Last fall, I found myself looking for my DS during BAMA Football games…Is that crazy or what?<br>
But The University of Alabama is so nurturing that I feel better going into his sophomore year…sigh…ROLL TIDE Y’ALL</p>

<p>My wife called me at work this morning sobbing. She walked by his empty room and it really hit her. I told her that it was a big adjustment and it will take time to adapt but to remind herself that he’s in a good place and he’s really happy.</p>

<p>What a great thread- I have enjoyed reading each and every post as I get ready to take DD back to school on Thursday for year 2.
I had no idea the amount of grief I would experience last year after returning home from moving her in. Yes, it was difficult to leave her there, thousands of miles from home where she didn’t know a soul. But that wasn’t what surprised me- it was the realization that her childhood was over: That our family was forever changed from that day forward. Of course intellectually I knew that what was happening was exactly what any parent would hope for, but that didn’t make me less sad. I stayed grateful but in the end allowed myself that grieving period. The good news is, this too shall pass. For real!
To you parents who have just dropped your sons or daughters off at UA- I can tell you that for us, it has been an amazing experience. Due to the information and encouragement I found here on CC, my DD enrolled in Alabama Action last year. That’s where my introverted kid, far, far from home made some amazing friends. She also became very close with her roommates. When she flew home for Christmas, her roommate texted her as we were waiting for her baggage at the airport, to make sure she got home safely. That’s when I knew she’d already found a family away from home, with friends who truly cared about her. I will happily and with much gratitude return her to her new home away from home later this week. (Especially because I am recognizing the signs of her “soiling the nest” these past few days).
Good luck to all of you as you either begin or continue this journey. What a gift it is!</p>

<p>I love this post. Last year I handled dropping my son off at UA for AA pretty well. Got choked up and teary eyed, but held it together… until we crossed the state line and exited AL. It was when I realized my son and I were in different states that it really hit me hard. I was a mess for the the first several months… My son knew I needed him to stay in touch frequently, and he did a great job of it for the first semester. After that he started weaning me off the texts and calls. Hearing from him once a week was then a real treat. He was happy. He was loving life. That made it easier for me.</p>

<p>Like cdenglish949’s daughter, my son left home a quiet introvert, and at UA he blossomed found a new, different “family”. He could not have had a better year (well…that one credit class was that was more work than his 3 credit classes could have been different…), but overall it was a very successful year. I can’t wait to see what life at UA has in store for him this year.</p>

<p>I am sad to see my son leave for his second year. Have enjoyed having him around this summer, but in a way… I am ready for him to go. He has compared his life here to his life at UA frequently. He has talked about the friends he misses. He talks about all that is ahead for him this year at UA. He can’t wait to get back. I guess it’s time to let him go…again.</p>

<p>These are wonderful posts! I’ve been laughing and crying and choking up reading these and my son isn’t even going here (but you do have the best forum by far) - dropped him off at that other Alabama school last Friday and he’s been in band camp ever since. I don’t know if he doesn’t want to text me or doesn’t have time - in high school band camp was brutal, don’t think it’s as bad in college but probably just as time consuming. Best wishes to all those who “launched one” this fall…I think mine’s already flying solo.</p>

<p>If any first-year parents need further encouragement, consider this for a moment:</p>

<p>This time last year, we were sometimes talking to the boy 2-3x a day to help ease his anxiety and get comfortable…</p>

<p>My how the tables have turned. I spoke to him the first time today since Friday (Again, this time last year that was inconceivable and I would have already been on my way down there fearing the worst). He called me at my desk over lunch and I said (with intentional smugness) “Who is this???”</p>

<p>The response was “Shut up, Dad… I have been busy!”</p>

<p>Like so many have said earlier in this thread, it is hard for everyone to adjust, but it is a progression for all involved. Faster for some, slower for others, but it does happen. I feel for the position you will find yourself in, and there were definitely some weekends where it was tough to get off the couch not having a project to work on to get him ready.</p>

<p>Thank you for posting that. It made me tear up, but then, everything makes me tear up right now.</p>

<p>Said goodbye to my UA sophomore son this morning as he is heading to school with his dad. Actually this is a little harder than last year as I knew that we would see him at fall break (early October), and Thanksgiving. This year it might be mid-December when we see him next (boo hoo). Crossing my fingers that this year is as good a year, or even better, than last. New roommates this year so I am a little concerned.</p>

<p>I had a little fun with DS. I told him the rules had changed. Told him that he was young adult and was expected to tackle problems. Told him to know when to ask for help. Told him to call mom and dad every now and then to say hi.</p>

<p>Then, after the Big Goodbye, I walked back to my car and immediately texted him: “Don’t forget to get bread and hot dog buns since dining hall hours are flakey this weekend. And before you go to the strip, walk up to the Ferg and get $20 from the ATM.”</p>

<p>He fell for it. He scolded me and told me go home in his reply.</p>

<p>We both had a good LOL over it.</p>

<p>we said goodbye to ours two tuesdays ago at 6am. haven’t heard a word since.</p>

<p>i see pictures on instagram, so i know she is still alive.</p>

<p>maybe she will call when rush is over…</p>

<p>^^^^^2 Tuesdays ago? My DW would have hopped a plane and whooped my DS butt if he waited that long…lol. I have to say just texting my DS he is always busy now with AA although that’s over, Frat stuff and what seems like endless socializing.</p>

<p>Just as others have said, this post has had me tearing up. Can’t believe it will be me next year dropping DS off. We just put his HS Senior yard sign out today. I know this year will fly by, but I am trying to cherish every day.</p>

<p>Listening to the happiness in my DS’s voice when he calls is helping my DW and I feel better. I’m still in disbelief that he’s away but listening to him explain what he’s doing and how happy he is doing it eases our pain tremendously.</p>

<p>Bringing our son back for his last year tomorrow. Amazing how it’s flown. Scary to think that next year, we’ll be releasing him not to the safety of a college campus, but to the great big real world. Yikes!</p>

<p>IS UA have good engineering school? How about their teacher and research? How many kids got full ride to school 2012?</p>

<p>Ok so I just went out for coffee and instinctly ordered my DS his favorite breakfast sandwich “a Wacky” and a chocolate milk. It wasn’t until I pulled in the driveway that I realized he isn’t here to eat it. I guess it could have been worse. Lol. A $6.00 breakfast screwup I can live with.</p>

<p>xukui811: re-write your question in a NEW thread please, so that it gets answered.</p>

<p>All: this year was harder than last year - yep, hard to believe, but it was harder to drop him off his 2nd year. Last year was full of excitement and nerves and we didn’t know anything. This year, he fully knows the ropes and clearly does not need me any longer. THAT realisation was very hard for me to take as I drove home. I made it worse on myself by listening to all of his old orchestra concert CDs for 12 hours. When I hit the 6 hour mark, around Louisville, KY, it was especially difficult because I was then further away from him than if I had to turn around and head back. I so wanted to turn around. I’m going to have to bury myself in some heavy retail therapy this week ahead…</p>

<p>This is so helpful. It is so hard to have your child leave, yet we pushed her to go away. It was an awesome experience for my husband and I, one we wouldn’t want her to miss. I know successful parenting means your child can make his/her way in the world. I just couldn’t have anticipated 18 years going by in a heartbeat.</p>