I want to transfer out of Boston College, preferably into Northeastern or some other school. Am I insane?

I hate the culture here. Everyone is a jock who’s super into sports, the football culture here drives me insane. I don’t feel like I belong here at all, I don’t fit in with anyone. I hate sports, I just can’t bring myself to enjoy college sports. I’m super nerdy, and no one here shares my interests at all. everyone is just into sports and golfing, there’s also much more of a party culture than I expected.
When doing college admissions I did ED to BC so I never got to find out if I got into Northeastern.

Anyway, how difficult is this to do? Obviously I wouldn’t be doing this until the spring when the application is due, i need to get through this school year regardless. I know it is harder to transfer into a school than it is in normal admissions. How would admissions officers see this? I’m sure it’s an extremely rare case.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

What year of college are you in? Why did you come back this year if you disliked it so much before? Maybe save your money and take a gap year if you are sure about this. You will need a larger list than just Northeastern if you really want to transfer.

4 Likes

You wouldn’t have to worry about football culture at Northeastern - there is no football. I think the culture of the schools is different. NU has no religious bent and a more diverse student body than BC. There are parties to be found, but NU students work hard and are motivated and there is a low rate of first year transfers so it works for most. You would need to make a concerted effort to join clubs and make friends as a transfer student, but it’s do-able. Northeastern really encourages study abroad and summer Dialogues of Civilization are a great way to see the world and make friends. You would need to live off campus. Lightview is a popular apartment building for transfer students and there are other student apartments near NU or in Mission Hill. Good luck!

2 Likes

are you an entering first year? Why did you ED to BC?

3 Likes

Get really high grades. Find valid reasons to transfer into Northeastern. If they require prof recs, make a strong effort to connect with your professors.

If you can do all those things, your chances are reasonable. But yes, find other colleges too.

3 Likes

This varies by school, and also how your college record compares to your high school record.

As pertains to the OP, Northeastern accepted 30% of its recent transfer applicants.

Why did you ED?

In October 2021, you were a junior. So in October 2022, you were a senior who graduated in June 2023 from high school, right? That means you are now just starting college unless I have something wrong. All you have completed so far at BC is orientation. Your classes don’t even start until tomorrow.

Start looking for activities and clubs in areas that interest you. They are there…you just need to find them.

There are students at BC whose lives don’t revolve around sports.

6 Likes

So you are a freshman and classes haven’t started yet. Of course people are into sports and golf and parties. Having fun and getting to know people is what orientation is all about. It sounds like you haven’t met people like you yet. Give it time, they are there. Once classes have started people will get more serious. Even the hardcore partiers will start buckling down after they fail their first tests and realize that college is harder than high school.

People may still be interested in football games. You can ignore it or maybe join in and see if you like it. The sports culture is so big at BC I don’t know how you could not have known about it before applying ED, especially if you are from the Boston area.

3 Likes

To name a suggestion other than Northeastern, you might like the social balance of the University of Rochester.

4 Likes

So the OP literally just started BC a week ago?

Frankly, that is far too early to decide you want to transfer. In the event you remain convinced of this, and decide some other college is better for you, all the above still applies. But I think you need to give BC a chance.

6 Likes

I would recommend giving BC a chance. If you still feel this way towards the end of the fall semester, then you can begin the transfer process. Northeastern and Boston University have higher transfer acceptance rates than their freshman rates. If you were accepted at BC ED your high school record was quite good. Coupled with a good first semester grades at BC you would have a very good chance to transfer to those, or other, schools.

2 Likes

Something to check…are you receiving need based aid at BC? You don’t have to tell here…but do keep in mind that at some schools, need based aid for transfer students is not at the same level as for incoming freshmen. So do check that any transfer school will be affordable, if that applies.

But in the meantime…enjoy your classes, join some clubs, meet some people, get out there and enjoy BC. Think of all the reasons you chose to ED to this college…then go and make them happen.

ETA…non-custodial parent Profile waivers are granted by each college. If you got one at BC, there is no guarantee you will get one at some other college.

5 Likes

So your having some normal freshman anxiety. To the Parents lurking… Get ready since this is a typical phone call freshman year.

To the OP :this is a normal reaction to the first few weeks in Freshman year. Take a deep breath and breathe… :thought_balloon:OK now

My son went to University of Michigan were football /sports is a religion. Guess what. Going to a football game is a social endeavor. Approach it from that frame work. At least try one game. Why? Because college is about trying new things and getting out of your comfort zone. It’s not about trying to get you to like football but try it out once. At Michigan you can watch the Marching band perform prior to the game as a warm up and actually follow them (sort of), into the stadium. This reeks of being nerdy… But it’s also kinda fun. Kinda…

Also many at his school hated sports. Here’s the tip. Then don’t go (but try it one time). There are tons and I mean tons of clubs and activities you can be doing. Same for Greek life etc. Don’t want it. Great then do something else. Use football day to study. I will bet the library it’s pretty packed. Those people have other things to do then the football game. Find clubs and activities that are your nerdy you and enjoy them with like minded students. My son started his own student org since 1600 clubs were not for him.

BC is a great school if you give it a chance. But you got some work to do. It’s on you to find those things and get out of your comfort zone. I told both my kids… “Bet on yourself” changing schools isn’t the answer here. My daughter went to a small Lac and never went to a football game. OK, she went for a half and found it boring. So she never went again. She was with friends that agreed. Theater kids I guess don’t like sports :joy::performing_arts:

3 Likes

First, I’m super sorry that you’re feeling this way, and I know right now it feels awful, and also likely permanent. I know it’s hard, but please try to hold onto the fact that the way you feel at this moment is unlikely to be your constant. You’ve just arrived at BC, have only had the chance to interact with a limited number of students, and things are most definitely going to change as you have opportunities to meet more students, go to your classes, join some clubs and meet more people. There are probably 100s, if not 1000s of students right there at BC who are feeling just like you right now. They are likely dying to meet someone like you. Again, I know it’s hard but try your best to put yourself out there, and know that many people you are seeing who outwardly seem like they are happy and doing fine actually . . . aren’t. Be as outgoing as you can, keep on being friendly and talking to people, and you will most certainly find some like-minded students out there.

None of this precludes the possibility of your transferring, but knowing that you can’t transfer until next year, you might as well make the absolute best of things right now and try to find your people. They are definitely there!

3 Likes

Can you clarify whether you’re an entering freshman or rising sophomore?
Why did you ED there?

1 Like

I could be talking to my son. BC is a HUGE school and diverse student body. Not everyone is all about the football games.

Did you go to the club fair? My son said the clubs that are active are more difficult to get into. The others are less active — I imagine that varies year by year and which students are running them and how many $$ they get from the school. If you have an interest, start or revitalize a club. Is there an esports or gaming club? A hiking club?

If you are in CSOM, your comments do not surprise me. In MCAS, there is a little more “geek” factor because of all the science and arts majors.

My recommendation is to seek out support. Go to BC Counseling and to the undergraduate Dean’s office. Tell them what you are feeling/thinking. They might be able to guide you to your peeps.

DEFINITELY attend 48 hours! I heard it is a great program where freshman find others to connect to.

Try to find a on-campus job — tours, working in the rec center, doing research for a professor. You’ll find your peeps organically as you explore YOUR interests.

I don’t know much about the culture of Northeastern, but have known both geeks and preppies who attend (like most schools). The co-op program is highly desirable, but imagine it is competitive to get the best co-ops. It’s very urban so less cohesive and imagine it’s just as difficult to find your peeps there.

Good luck!

2 Likes

@Phantonex any update on how things are going for you at BC….since you have now been there for six weeks?

4 Likes