IB and AP

I’m going to take IB and AP classes next year for my senior year. I heard from my friends that Tamu does not require IB credits. Am I wasting my time and money for I B classes because I’ll need to pay $800 for them.
( BTW I understand that some schools take IB credit which $800 is not bad due to each classes being ~2k each)

Here’s the link http://dars.tamu.edu/Testing/AP,-SAT,-ACT,-and-Other-Information-for-Incoming-F/files/AP-IB.aspx

Thank you!!

You can earn the same credit for most IB classes through AP classes, great upside is that AP is easier (at least from what I heard, I only took AP when I was in HS and earned a ton of credit from them here at TAMU)

No school requires IB credits. :slight_smile: And IB is defiantly more work (i wouldn’t say harder). But I would suggest taking AP because 1) Higher passing rates 2) cheaper cost 3) its difficult to pass an IB HL exam unless you take the class for 2 years (Or thats how they do it at my school) 4) and the new Texas state law that says A&M must accept a 3 or higher for AP so its easier to get credit.

As you can see from the link above, you need to get a 5 or higher to get credits that normally go together. (such as Biology with a lab or a 2nd semester of language ) And its easier to make a 3 on AP then a 5 on IB, so consider AP (especially since this is your senior year and you don’t wanna stress about writing half a dozen IA’s while getting 5s on a bunch HL exams) Good Luck! :slight_smile:

Will your school not pay the $800? My son just finished the IB program and boy can I attest to the rigorousness of the program. We will not find out until July 6 if he earned his diploma or not but he thinks it was totally worth it. He enjoys a challenge that the AP classes werent offering him. We also do not know how his marks will translate to college credit, guess we will talk to his advisor about that at his NSC.

No our school is a charter school so we need to pay the 800 dollars

Unless you are going for the IB diploma I would just do AP. My daughters IB program doesn’t even allow for kids to take individual IB classes without being in the program which you enter in the 9th grade at her school. AP would be easier and cheaper.