IB Diploma+AP Courses

For those of you who have done the IB diploma and AP classes, what classes did you take throughout high school? Did you take IB and AP courses concurrently?

At our school, the IBD candidates did only IB classes junior and senior year. Many did some AP classes in the two years before.

In some cases, an IB class was also the AP class (SL FL, SL chemistry). Few IBD candidates took the AP as well as the SL although that was possible (and might have provided college placement the SL did not).

Non-diploma students moved between IB and AP easily but they didn’t have so many curricular restrictions. The IBD is very consuming!

My daughter is in the full IB Program. In addition to the IB classes in 11th and 12th (English HL, Math HL, Biology HL, French SL, Chemistry SL, Economics SL). She took APs: Calculus BC, Statistics, Computer Science A, Art History, Computer Science Principles and Physics 1. She took the AP Economics tests as no one gives cred for SL and did well. She figured she’d repeat Chemistry as a premed anyway so no point in taking the AP there even though the Chemistry SL class is combined with AP Chemistry at her school. Not sure if she’s going to take the AP French exam, it would probably depend on her college choice and need for credit.

Mt D21 did a couple APs Fresh/Soph years but now as full IBD her schedule is full with IB only (4 HL 2 SL). There are a couple combined classes with AP (HL Art) but the assignments and grading is different, they basically just share space and teacher. I don’t think IBD students take AP exams much at our school – no reason unless they think they can get credit. So many schools cap credit now that its usually not worth it. IB Cert students mix in AP courses for sure.

My son graduated IBD and, along with all the required IB courses, he took Calc AB and BC because of some problems with the IB math teacher who had to be reassigned by the school. I think those were the only AP courses he took.