IB Diploma for Architecture

<p>Hi i'm an IB student interested in taking architecture, my cumulative GPA is 4.05</p>

<p>My classes are:
HL Physics
HL Art
HL Business
SL Math
SL Literature
SL Mandarin</p>

<p>Questions:
1. Do you think my classes are challenging/suitable enough for architecture?
2. Do u guys know the general minimum IB requirement for top architecture schools (USC, SCI-ARC, Syracuse, RISD)?
3. Any other advice/info from other IB diploma architecture students and past experiences would help me A LOT</p>

<p>I think my art portfolio is fine but I feel like my classes are way too easy compared to some of my friends and it might not be enough to get me into the best architecture schools.
I have a predicted 7 in SL Math and probably 5 for HL Physics but i find physics so asdflska;djf hard. </p>

<p>How much does architecture really depend on math/physics/art?</p>

<p>And does course rigour really matter more than a strong GPA? </p>

<p>I'm SO confused any advise would be very much appreciated thanks.</p>

<p>Your subject combination of higher level physics and art + standard level maths is perfect. My best friend is planning on applying for architecture next year and takes those subjects (but also take higher level maths - she’s crazy) and the guidance counselor said her subject combination is ideal for architecture so don’t worry about that aspect of your application - if it helps students at my school get accepted to top architecture programs so what my guidance counselors says is quite reliable . Plus, US universities don’t carry much about your subject combination, competitive universities just want applicants to take the most rigorous course load - you fulfill that requirement as your doing the IB diploma, that’s as rigorous as it gets! On that note, higher level business is a soft class but it shouldn’t impact your chances in the slightest as the rest of your subjects are pretty damn hard (higher level physics etc). </p>

<p>American universities don’t have minimum IB requirements like UK/Canadian/Asian universities do. They review your application holistically so they’ll take into consideration your 9-11 th grade internal grades (+ first semester of 12th grade if you’re applying RD), IB predicted score, your extracurriculars/volunteer/work experience, GPA (if your school uses it), class rank, SAT/ACT. SAT II scores etc. So you won’t get rejected/accepted because you’ve surpassed or don’t meet the ib score requirements. And in your case, you’re portfolio will count for a lot so if you say its fine then you’ll likely get accepted to the universities you mentioned if you’re grades and test scores are on par. </p>

<p>As I mentioned above maths/art/physics are really important for architecture. I wouldn’t worry too much about your physics score (unless its dragging your predicted grade/GPA down) as its a decent score and more so as higher level physics is probably the second hardest course the IB offers. And don’t worry, architecture isn’t heavily based on physics; you’ll probably only need to take a physics class or two in college - taking higher level physics was a smart move on your part as you might be able to credit out and if you’re not allowed to credit out you’ll at least have a strong base, which will make the college physics classes you have to take more manageable). </p>

<p>Regarding course rigor/GPA: depends. If your GPA is really suffering because you’ve taken too many advanced/challenging classes then you’re better off taking an easier course load. Sure colleges emphasise course rigor but that doesn’t mean you should jeopardize your GPA in the process if you can’t handle the workload. Hope that answers your question.</p>

<p>Hope I helped! Feel free to ask me anymore questions :slight_smile: </p>

Thank you so much that was very helpful!
One more question @pink997- Do you think HL Math is necessary for architecture? I decided to take HL Physics only so I’m wondering if it will affect my chances.

Nope, its definitely not required. My friend just took it cause she really loves math and is considering going into engineering as well. Standard level maths will suffice and is enough for architecture.