IB diploma or AP at my high school

<hr>

<p>My high school offers a IB diploma but I like my freedom to pick the what ever AP courses I like without having to specifically pick a certain amount of a certain catogory.
I would also like to take a third language but that isn't possible with taking the IB route at my school. I like debate which would be hard to take again at my school. I would have to sign up for visual arts for 2 years which i am not a fan of. And I have to take 3 required Social studies class (year course each) at my school, then plus two years of IB social studies (i am not even going to major in something that has anything to do with SS). Im am kind of sticking to the negatives but i dont want to write you guys a memoir so ill stop there. I am also playing to try pre-med after high school. So that is the info now here are the questions:</p>

<p>IB Diploma vs 3 languages how do colleges see this?
Visual arts IB matter?
Does Debate matter?
Does IB matter for future pre-meds?
In general is it really worth it?</p>

<p>Okay so I am a current IB student. Here is the thing, I will be slightly biased towards IB so take what I say into consideration. All you have said are the reasons NOT to do IB so i would automatically assume that you just want to do IB for the way it will look on college apps. I mean I know it does but IB requires more commitment than AP because IB is 2 years and AP is 1 is only one reason. I will also assume that you are probably a sophomore because otherwise Ib wouldn’t be possible, so although you say that you want to go Pre-Med right now, you might change your mind. I know I thought I wanted to, but then I realized that what I want and what I actually enjoy doesn’t match up with being a M.D. or D.O. Just take that into consideration. Either way, AP or IB won’t effect your “major” choice except maybe taking more Science classes and even then. And 3 languages proficiently or barely understandable. Maybe you should stick to languages that show commitment are more fluent. You can, in college, take placement tests for classes and you want to be in a highish level. Why visual arts? Are there not other choices, can’t you take a second science? or second/third language for Group 6 instead? Debate, if you’re involved in meets and do well is an EC. IB is worth it in the fact that multiple times teachers have told me past graduates have been doing really well from IB and are extremely prepared. I know AP is supposed to semi-do the same and both IB and AP kids can be successful at College. IB is better suited for well-rounded individuals in the 4 core and language that can also handle the stress of IA’s, EE, CAS, big projects, and EC’s plus a couple of other things. I know I can be busy a whole lot and take it a week at a time. You have less choices in IB versus AP and IB takes more of your life. And you say does IB matter for future pre-meds, can you not also ask, does AP matter for future Pre-Meds? I wish you good luck at deciding because if you decide IB and get out for AP, it will look much worse than sticking to AP fully or IB fully. I hope I helped! :smiley: you can also ask e any questions.</p>

<p>Oh! and at my school I am required for 3 SS, 3 Science(Bio, Chem, and Physics), and it’s not that bad taking a class even if you don’t like it. I don’t really like math, but that’s just because I find it boring after awhile and I will graduate with 6 credits of Math. Again it wasn’t on purpose, it kind of just happened.</p>

<p>There’s nothing I could add to or subtract from the answer Kaeroze provided.</p>

<p>I am personally an AP student. My school does offer IB classes, and you don’t even have to pursue the whole diploma. Why did I take AP? I took it because I liked the idea of choosing classes that I wanted to take (although I ended up taking all of the APs my school offers). Also, I have heard many instances where people who take IB don’t get credit at the college, and it seems that many colleges don’t accept IB for credit. Now, even though more schools do accept AP, there are still those that don’t accept AP either. So if you want college credit, I suggest you look at colleges you might plan to apply for (I’m assuming you’re a sophomore, so don’t think it’s too early to be thinking of colleges. Trust me. Senior year will be by before you know it!). If they accept IB credit, AND if you find you really are interested in taking IB, then go for it. I also didn’t take IB because I heard from classmates about how some of the classes weren’t hard at all, or that they were “a joke.” In addition, I didn’t pursue the IB diploma because when you take the exams, you have to get a total score of some number (I’m not sure what it exactly is). If you don’t get that score, I believe you are unable to get the diploma. This means that if you score high in almost all of the subjects, but say you don’t score high enough for English to meet the minimum score, then you don’t get the diploma. With AP and the tests, each test is individual and separate, meaning that your score on the AP Biology Exam won’t affect your score on the AP Calculus AB exam. Obviously, I am quite biased as I lean towards AP, but in the end, you should ask students who are in IB and those in AP and find out how their classes and teachers are. If you find out that one has better classes in which the teachers are good and you learn a lot, I suggest you go on that track. It is hard to choose between two great programs like AP and IB. I wish you best of luck in choosing and hope that your choice will benefit your education.</p>

<p>This’ll be my own advice because my eyes hurt just looking at the huge block paragraphs the previous two posters wrote, lol, but anyway. (I did read enough to say that, like Kaeroze, I will be biased towards IB.)</p>

<p>Do you consider yourself more of a “product” person or a “process” person? When you learn, do you enjoy that you know the facts or the process of learning those facts more? What’s most satisfying to you at the end of the day, what you know or how/why you know it?</p>

<p>IB vs 3 languages-this depends on your levels in those languages. Colleges prefer to see depth in a couple languages rather than a smattering of knowledge in several languages. If you really wanted to, I suppose you could take 7 IB courses so you would take both the Diploma and the Certificate and be able to take 3 languages. Anyway, if your level isn’t evenly distributed across all 3 languages, or you don’t consider yourself very good at those languages, I would suggest picking two and going with IB. If, however, you are very strong at all 3 of them AND they will be important aspects in your major/life after high school, I’d say go AP.</p>

<p>Like Kaeroze said above (skimmed just enough to glean that fact), you don’t have to take visual arts unless your IB school doesn’t have more than one science class, which I find highly doubtful. This also ties in to your pre-med path-medicine usually requires extensive background in chem and bio. Instead of taking visual arts, you can do both chem and bio (preferably both at HL).</p>

<p>If you’re going into pre-med, I would say debate doesn’t matter that much. However, if it is an extensive EC of yours that you have leadership and experience in, see if you can squeeze it in along with your IB schedule. If it doesn’t work, I guess you could do AP. What would be more appealing to colleges would be a description of how, in choosing to do IB, you were unable to take the debate class but you still showed leadership and demonstrated experience and skill in that EC! This also shows commitment-a bingo for top colleges.</p>

<p>For pre-med students, if you are absolutely 100% positive that you will go into this field later in life and you will enjoy it and be in this field for the majority of the rest of your life in this world, I don’t think the IB would be worth it. However, I doubt that you’re absolutely 100% positive. :slight_smile: Doing the IB will keep your options open in undergrad and grad school just in case. Most people when they go to college change their original intended major in the first few months, as a heads-up. And you never know what might spark a future career/major potential in the IB program! :p</p>

<p>I think IB is extremely worth it. I was also toying with the idea of dropping out of IB (I did the 6-10th grades MYP program), but after talking to many college students and current IB juniors/seniors, I believe it’s right for me. I work well under time constraints and probably won’t work well at all without enough of them. Also, all of the college students I’ve talked to say that they feel so much more prepared and on top of things than their peers, most of whom still procrastinate tons more than they should. The IB students at my school right now also (for the most part) say that it’s worth it, because you become part of a really tight, close-knit community (thanks to the six-subject stipulation :p) and you have classes with many people who actually want to learn and are serious/dedicated about school.
That, however, could be an entirely different story at your school. So ask around! Ask upperclassmen from both programs. Ask them what their study habits are like, what their personalities are like, what they’re planning to major in, what the teachers are like etc.
Also, if your school’s IB program is known for being subpar, don’t do it. Your IB experience will literally be like going to hell. Same goes for AP, unless there’s a particular subject you excel in and are determined/disciplined enough to self-study in.</p>

<p>Like nancydrewfan said, though, both AP and IB are absolutely amazing programs when viewed as a whole nationwide. It seems like you would be a better fit for AP, judging from your post, but please still read over our posts and consider very carefully which sounds better for you. That’s the most important aspect of your choice. The people in IB that are unhappy are the ones for whom AP would have been better, and vice versa. Though the major overachievers at my school enroll in the IB program and also take AP courses…</p>

<p>Anyway. Hope this helps! (Sorry for making it so long! :o)</p>

<p>In order to earn the IB diploma you need to earn a minimum of 24 out of 45 points. This is done through the 6 tests ( SL and HL) that are taken in the spring of junior and/or senior year. Colleges that accept IB credits will most likely require a 6 or 7 on the test, but to earn the diploma you don’t need these scores. For example, if you earn a 4 on each test that will get you to 24 points. You can also get a 3 if it balances out with a higher score. In addition to this there are papers that are graded by IB that can earn you " extra" points toward the diploma. The points and grades that are earned are not factored into your GPA; your GPA and your IB transcript are completely separate and the school only sends your regular transcript. There will still be tests and papers that are not applied to IB but do impact your GPA. If you want your IB transcript sent you will have to do that separately. In our school all of the IB classes (SL and HL) are weighted the same as AP, and are considered equally as rigorous. If you are the kind of student who does not procrastinate and loves to write, IB may be a great choice. I think that one of the reasons why IB has the reputation of causing lack of sleep is because some students procrastinate. In addition to this there is also the extended essay and community service, etc. So sorry for rambling, but I have been spending the past month really trying to educate myself. One more thing- I called several colleges and they all consider IB to be a rigorous program.</p>

<p>oh. yeah, that,s it!!!</p>