If cost weren’t an issue . . . would you still choose Bama?

<p>@malanai, you forgot to add that your kid will come home with a lovely southern drawl! I’m so looking forward to that.</p>

<p>Indeed he did, Lucy. You can hear a hint of it in this recruiting video he made for UA: <a href=“http://vimeo.com/90721971”>http://vimeo.com/90721971&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>But he didn’t come home. He went straight to Revolution Pictures in Nashville, one of only three students in the nation to be selected for their internship, despite the fact that many in the competition went to more “prestigious” film programs. You see, Bama gives you what you need to succeed.</p>

<p>Yes, I’ve seen the video–that’s why I made the comment! I think it’s awesome. What a great “keepsake” for any kid to take home from his university. </p>

<p>I’ve shared that video with a lot of people @malanai. Absolute gold IMHO. Congratulations to you and your son!</p>

<p>@malanai - That video is too wonderful! I agree with @LucieTheLakie . . . I’d actually be willing to pay extra just to have my kid come home with that accent!</p>

<p>Though rank is important, as are what I call the 3 Rs–rank, reputation, recognition, it’s not the whole thing. The bottom line is that the East is where the college going population is, particularly in those who would even consider sending their kids out of state, more than a few hours from home. That’s the source of the bulk of the college applications outside of that immediate area of a school. And U of Alabama just has not been on the radars of those of us who don’t live near there. </p>

<p>As a NYers, we, in this state, have good instate affordable options. Those with need pretty much have it met and our state has public options within a commutable distance from most everyone. So with relatively low tuition, one can always commute to get a college degree. There is also that familiarity factor. To up and go to a school in a state one has never been to, to a school that just was never on one’s radar, takes some sort of reason. And for right now Alabama is just not a known entity. I don’t think anyone from my kids’ schools have ever gone there, or maybe even applied there. I only know one kid who went to UAlabama. So it takes some thinking outside the box for that school to make anyone’s lists even with programs that might be higher ranked, some better opportunities than some more familiar options. </p>

<p>The familiarity factor packs a heavy wallop. I remember a former high school classmate of mine whose kid was going to some college that I’d never heard of, some distance from where that family lived, and the question that came immediately to mind was “why that college?”. Not a question that would have come as readily had the school been State U, another nearby school, any school with some name recognition. But why would a kid in a given state go to school of a name that is not so recognizable some distance away? As it turned out, there was the old familiarity factor. Kid spent summers there as the family had family there to whom they were close. And so kid had cousins and people he knew going to that school, so it made his list, and when he visited while in the area that summer with a group of locals, liked it enough to apply and then decide to go there. Without that familiarity link, I doubt the kid would have even heard of the school, much less have it on his list, consideration and going there. </p>

<p>So Alabama is off the radar here in the East other than as a football school I think it’s fantastic that the school is making an effort to attract academic talent. Hopefully as they are doing this, they are also beefing up offerings, programs and departments so that the school starts making its mark in that area. It would be great if it could get the lustre of the Penn State type schools. NY has failed to do this with their SUNY system. We do not get a good draw on the national scene, though i truly believe that UatBuff, for example offers stellar opportunities and a great education. A lot of internationals have found this a gem, but not nationally, or even on a statewide basis. UB could stand to do what Bama is now doing, IMO to build its reputation and draw. </p>

<p>About 10, maybe 15 years ago, Pitt gave a lot of Chancellors and other great merit awards. It didn’t take that much to get into its honors college and it gave some nice benefits to those who did go that route, and it also gave some nice scholarships to many kids. I knew kids with a 1340 2 part SAT who got in there with a full tuition award. No more. You gotta apply these days, and the stats to get considered are over that. The merit awards have been slashed so that the % given these days is much, much smaller And yet the stats for Pitt have gone up, and the school is more selective than ever. They don’t need to pay for academic talent any more, so they don’t. Fordham also has tightened up the merit money. Again 10, 15 years ago, it was easier to get more merit money than it it today. Maybe Alabama will go that route too.</p>

<p>For a kid with the stats, to go to a major flagship university with the packages Bama is offering, is often the best deal around. My kid with the close to perfect test scores only got one offer like that and it was not to a national university, flag ship school with all that Bama has to offer. Buffalo offered him $2500, and that was the next best offer which would have still been over $15K in costs. Had Alabama been on the table as nearly free, it’s possible he would have gone there. Maybe not, but it would have been a consideration. </p>

<p>With 60 per cent of last Fall’s freshman class being from out of state, UA certainly IS on the radar of many more people than in the past. In fact, I think it would be hard to find another public flagship school with such a high percentage of out of staters. </p>

<p>We have found that the OOS “Bama Fever” is catching at our old HS! </p>

<p>Distance and unfamiliarity are factors; however, you only need one or two students to go to Bama and report back favorably to their friends to get the fever started. DD’s HS is a top ten HS in Illinois. No one from the school had attended Bama in years. DD and two other girls from her class (based upon information from CC and the local recruiter) all earned Presidential or UA Scholars + Engineering scholarships last year and enrolled. With three girls earning full tuition scholarships, the HS decided to list Bama’s criteria (along with that of several other schools that it had previously listed) in a “Paying for College” brochure that is distributed in the fall to junior and seniors. </p>

<p>Flash ahead to this spring - all three girls are on the Dean’s List, active in sororities and absolutely loving their experience. They of course posted pictures of tailgating at football games, sorority activities and other parties on their facebook pages. On break or via text they talked with their friends who were still in HS. Last week it was disclosed that five more students are heading to Tuscaloosa from their school next year. </p>

<p>According to parents in other suburbs, the same is happening at other schools in suburban Chicago. Of course, not everyone will be interested in going so far from home, but the good experiences of other students from the same or close by HS (along with the significant scholarships) will at least get a university like Bama noticed and in the discussion.</p>

<p>^stories like this are becoming common. DS just finished his second year at UA. He was the first ever to attend from our high school, formerly the #1 high school in the country. Mostly Ivies and such, some of which DS declined for Bama. Word is out, and this fall the school is sending students 2 and 3 to Bama. Without the scholarship, Bama would not have even been on the radar. So far no regrets, but the ultimate proof will come at job hunt time. I have no doubt that my 4.0 engineering guy is going to do UA proud.</p>

<p>^ The UA “fire” is catching all over central Illinois also! UA’s freshman class in fall of 2014 will include students from all over the area…Peoria, Urbana-Champaign, Bloomington-Normal, and greater Springfield area… Many will be the first from their high schools to attend UA. You visit Tuscaloosa because of the wonderful merit scholarships …and then you fall in love with the campus, the people, the Honors College, etc. The amazing UA Parent support system is a HUGE plus and one of the reasons my son will be attending in the fall.</p>

<p>Look at the Dean’s List each term to see the numerous smart, hardworking people from your local area. </p>

<p>Dean’s List from this past fall (alpha by state):</p>

<p><a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2014/01/deans-list-students-named-for-ua-fall-2013-term-part-2/”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2014/01/deans-list-students-named-for-ua-fall-2013-term-part-2/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>(Hah! There are two from our own hometown, one of whom I think my son went to preschool with!)</p>

<p>With a 0 EFC, My D was limited to applying to full ride merit or meets full need schools. She knew since 11th grade she wanted to go to UA, but applied and was accepted to some full need schools, as well as other full ride schools, where with outside scholarships our out of pocket was $0 at all of them. She had 6-7 schools to choose from,where with outside scholarships our out of pocket was $0 at all and she still chose Bama. </p>

<p>D just finished her second year. She plans to use her 4th year to take grad level classes. The personal attention she received has been fantastic. Every time she has had a problem or a question, someone, whether in an office or a professor, has helped her get the info needed without a run around. </p>

<p>Would things have been different elsewhere? Of course, but I don’t think they would have been better. She has had research opportunities in her major. Beautiful dorms. She is involved in some clubs, her Christian sorority, has nice friends from all around the country. She has thrived at UA and has no regrets about her choice.</p>

<p>Gee, my kids have been in the state for 10 years and still havent picked up an accent, but we all have picked up some southern phrases…I’m going to tote that to the car. But i guess we have picked up the habit/accent of saying 'pie" as a multi-syllable word…piiiiiiiiiiie</p>

<p>My S will have this decision to make next year. He will certainly have his application in ASAP.
Things that attract him to UA:
Campus (wow)
Athletics (not just f’ball)
Culture
Friendliness
Scholarships
Dorms
And in his words “the LADIES”</p>

<p>With those “other schools” being a lottery. It is wonderful to know that UA could easily be a welcoming home.</p>