IGETC for freshmen? (UCSC, UCSB, UCLA)

Hello, I understand that this is a discussion for Transfer students, but I wasn’t really sure where else to ask…

I am currently a high school student completing community college classes to fulfill some general education requirements before I get to college. I am deciding whether or not to complete the IGETC program, because I’m not sure if it applies to freshmen.

UCSD is the only UC that I have seen specify that freshmen are not allowed to use IGETC to fulfill GE requirements. However, the other schools I am interested in, UCSC, UCSB, and UCLA, do not specify. They do place IGETC under Transfer admissions and say that IGETC “fulfills freshman/sophomore GE requirements,” but I can’t find out if I, a freshman applicant, will be able to use IGETC.

I really don’t want to end up completing IGETC in high school just to find out that I can’t fulfill my GE requirements, so please let me know if you have any answers!! All answers are appreciated, thank you so much :))))))))))

P.S. I already asked my counselor, but she said it’s specific to different schools. I’m having a lot of trouble finding answers for these specific schools.

IGETC doesn’t apply to freshmen. I am going to move this into general UC in case you have further questions. I will add one piece of advice FWIW: Be careful taking college courses in high school. If you don’t do well (meaning As, essentially), and then end up at a community college, those grades will stick with you. I have seen many students at a CCC who regret taking college courses in high school because it lowered their GPA.

Also, if medical or law school is under consideration, remember that all college courses and their grades count for the purpose of applying to those schools. If this applies to you, be sure to earn A grades in all of your college courses taken while in high school.

Even if IGETC is not applicable, the specific courses may be counted against the campus/division-specific general education requirements.