I'm Interested in Attending an Ivy League College...Placement Statistics?

Bergen Academy is an example of an extremely competitive public HS in Northern NJ. Draws students from diverse socio economic backgrounds, many first gen and few athletes.

They typically place similar or greater percentages of students at super elites versus some of the major preps and boarding schools in the state without many legacy or athletic hooks being applied. The student body is reputed to be very competitive amongst one another and extremely HS Pre Professional. Lots of national academic competition, olympiads, etc. It is hard to gain admission and we know several kids that dropped out.

Ultimately however it serves as a great stepping stone for many kids in the area to gain a world class HS education for free and attend colleges that would likely not have been possible if they had stayed in our local regional public HS.

You can also see how economic limitations impact at the college level as many kids opt to go local to Stevens, NJIT, TCNJ or Rutgers.

The primary determinants of ā€œplacingā€ large portion in ā€œsuper eliteā€ colleges are having competitive enough high school admissions such that a large portion of the class has a decent a shot of being admitted to ā€œsuper elitesā€, and having a large portion of the kids who have a good chance of being admitted to ā€œsuper elitesā€ choose to apply Selective public magnet HSs can do this, as well as selective private/boarding HSs.

To determine whether attending the HS offers any special admissions benefit, you need to look at more than just matriculation totals. Much more useful is to look at the portion of students who applied and acceptance rate, with some type of control for individual student performance or stats.

For example, some stats for Thomas Jefferson are below, which is a public magnet in VA. During the polarislist sample years at https://polarislist.com/, it was the HS with the largest number of matriculating students to HPM ā€“ 96 in in 4 years (Bergen was #8 at 64 in 4 years). This larger number partially relates to having a large class size. Unfortunately, I did not find any breakdown of admit rate by stats/rank ā€“ only overall admit rate. TJā€™s school profile mentions a 34.4 ACT and 781/734 SAT, so I applicants typically had very high scores. TJā€™s pre-COVID admission used to also consider grades, rigor, LORs, essays, and personal/character criteria; so most TJ applicants to ā€œsuper elitesā€ likely excelled in non-score criteria as well.

Some areas where public magnet school kids may differ from private/board schools are having different demographics (TJ used to have very few low income kids, be 60% Asian, and 3% URM at time of PolarisList captureā€¦ this is rapidly changing) and having different application behavior. This different application behavior can include public magnet kids being more likely to apply to in-state publics, and not top of class kids being more likely to apply to ā€œsuper elitesā€, particularly in early round.

Thomas Jefferson Admission Stats: 2017-19
UVA: 79% applied, 56% admit rate, 32% yield, 14% attended
Cornell: 37% applied, 16% admit rate, 52% yield, 3% attended
CMU: 32% applied, 26% admit rate, 42% yield, 3% attended
Stanford: 28% applied, 6% admit rate, 83% yield, 1% attended
Penn: 28% applied, 13% admit rate, 40% yield, 1% attended
Princeton: 25% applied, 8% admit rate, 67% yield, 2% attended
Duke: 23% applied, 13% admit rate, 54% yield, 2% attended
MIT: 22% applied, 11% admit rate, 80% yield, 2% attended
Harvard: 21% applied, 7% admit rate, 67% yield, 1% attended
Yale: 17% applied, 11% admit rate, 50% yield, 1% attended
Chicago: 16% applied, 18% admit rate, 50% yield, 1% attended

1 Like

You assume that kids attending all elite schools, whether public or private, see the same colleges as equally desirable. They do not. There are different things that matter, from geography to how inclusive they are to how they are perceived in their community to what majors they offer.

Presumably, the OP is lookin at a number of BS with similar demographics.

1 Like

Thereā€™s another important difference between private elite prep schools and public magnet high schools that needs to be taken into account to make sense of their college admission statistics. Public magnet school students tend to lean heavily, in some cases predominantly, toward STEM. However, colleges, with a few exceptions, generally limit the proportion of STEM students they would admit, due to constraints on their internal resource distributions and other considerations. Private prep school students tend to be more evenly distributed, matching better with the desired profiles of those colleges.

4 Likes

A Walter Payton Prep student wrote a short paper on why matriculation from WP was so strong, here is a link. WPCP Analysis

Iā€™m a big fan of WP, so this is not a knock on it at all, Iā€™m merely repeating a couple (of many) factors the student suggested helped its matriculation: a) ā€œno class rankā€; b) ā€œhigh grade inflationā€. He says: "While I lack supporting data, anecdotally Aā€™s were very common, and one teacher told me that a Payton ā€œBā€ is about as rare as another schoolā€™s ā€œFā€.

@Golfgr8 , a must-read!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting about WPā€¦.also thanks for your additional comments @UltimaCroix !

Just to clarify some misconceptions some readers new to the Prep School board might have about Ivy or ā€œvery selectiveā€ college placement. The demographics of the students matriculating to top 20 ranked universities are very interesting. These statistics are not reflected in the matriculation data. The students we know at the top boarding schools come from across the US and around the world. Very smart, talented, driven, and not banking on connections - or a ā€œpipelineā€ā€¦the days of feeder schools are long gone.

I had to write a poem:

The New England prep school
Of days of yore
Are no longer stuffy
And no longer a bore

You might still stereotype
College pipelines and elite
Getting into an Ivy now
Is no small feat

Competition for HADES
And a like, is tough
The competition continues
Over 4 years, itā€™s rough!

Remember, top prep schools
Select strong students to get in
Many smart kids are rejected
And placed in ā€œthe binā€!

At top BSā€™s you compete
With the globe
It takes more than connections
You need a frontal lobe!

Top schools are not one dimensional
Theyā€™re more sophisticated than you surmise
More competitive and international
Look beyond Ivies and be wise!

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if that was directed to me, the OP, or someone else. I donā€™t think anyone in this thread has assumed that high school students see all elite colleges as equally desirable. All of the things you mention can influence desirability, as can things like cost and perceived eliteness.

Less selective HSs and HSs with a larger portion of lower income students often see a far larger influence from location than the HSs that have been the focus of this thread, even when limited to just private colleges. For example, I attended a non-selective public in upstate NY. The upstate NY college Cornell received more applications that all of the over Ivies + SM combined. Stanford, Chicago, and similar colleges outside of the northeast received especially few applications. The small number of applications to non-Cornell ā€œeliteā€ colleges contributes to the small number of matriculations to non-Cornell ā€œeliteā€ colleges.

The TJ stats above show less of a regional bias, but they do show a bias towards more techy schools. For example, Stanford is on the opposite coast and further away from Ivies, yet far more students applied to Stanford than Harvard or Yale. Rather than sharing a common location, the 3 most applied to private colleges (Cornell, CMU, and Stanford) are all known for having great tech/CS programs.

Being a first gen college kid is a hook. A very strong hook if youā€™re coming from a good magnet or an elite BS. So no, those kids coming from the best magnet school in the state are not giving you ā€œunhooked college admission stats.ā€

2 Likes

The problem is that itā€™s exactly that - an anecdote, from the perspective of a person who had absolutely no way to access that information.

Itā€™s likely that there is grade inflation, but lacking any information on grade distributions of the students, all we have is the impression of a student, and the impressions of students are often way off.

Also, let us look at, say, Hotchkiss. According to their brochure, over 90% of their graduating class has a GPA of B+ or higher. Or, maybe Choate, at which 91% have GPAs of over 3.5. Or, maybe Horace Mann, where things a are slightly better, with 75% of the class having GPAs of B+ or higher.

I donā€™t know what the GPA distribution at Payton is like, but itā€™s unlikely that it is any more inflated than these ā€œeliteā€ private school.

And this bothers me, to be honest. When private high schools have graduating classes with average GPAs of 3.8, the term ā€œgrade inflationā€ is not mentioned. It is assumed that all of the kids who attend these schools earned those grades. Yet when a public magnet school, with far fewer super-wealthy, has similar GPAs, the accusation of ā€œgrade inflationā€ is immediately raised.

3 Likes

Worried about grade inflation at private high schools? No problem! I can suggest a school (or 2) we know where there is enforced grade deflation and compression with a convenient class average of 89 :sweat_smile:

DM me for the grade distribution comparisons from 2 years ago - they were posted in an earlier thread.

2 Likes

Not the slightest.

My point is that making the claim that Payton has high college placement because they have grade inflation, while not making the same claim for private high schools with similar or higher average GPAs is elitism.

It assumes that the public magnet has high GPAs because of grade inflation, while the private school has high GPAs because the students are smart and hard-working.

It also assumes that the college placement from the magnet school is the result of the inflated grades, while the college placement of unhooked students from private schools is because their grades are earned, rather than inflated.

It is those two assumptions that are my problem, not whether or not there grade inflation at private high schools.

2 Likes

At least for Choate, the GPA stats reported in the school profile are only for junior year. Amongst the students that started in 9th grade, the overall GPAs are mostly lower. Few students make the transition to BS without taking an academic hit. By junior year, they have it figured out. The GPAs reported in the profile are really a representation of their relative standing, not their absolute standing.

3 Likes

We talk about grade inflation at elite private schools ALL the time.

Grade inflation at elite colleges has been a topic of conversation for years out in the real world.

3 Likes

Not ā€œaccusingā€ WP of inflating grades. I cited a WP studentā€™s own perspective, and said the student cited ā€œno class rankā€ and ā€œhigh grade inflationā€ as two of ā€œmanyā€ factors leading to strong matriculation results. Since none of us are Admissions Officers, frankly, all we deal with is anecdotal evidence. Some have more anecdotes than others.

@one1ofeach and @Golfgr8 have complained in the past about tough grading at their kidsā€™ schools compared to other privates and how it may affect matriculation among the ā€œeliteā€ cohort, so we have had quite a bit of discussion on that matter. No intention of comparing grading-matriculation results at BSs to WP.

Have a good one.

4 Likes

There was an AO from Nantucket
Who sorted the apps in a bucket
Would have been a tough call
To have rejected them all
So he chose only 2 and said ā€œ___ itā€

He looked at class rank
That really stank
As later that year
His yield was a shank :golf:

So keep your eye on the ball
Donā€™t bet on it all
If itā€™s ā€œIvy or bustā€
Youā€™ll have a tough fall! :grimacing:

10 Likes

Masterclass :books:

2 Likes

Having no class rank is fairly typical of ā€œeliteā€ high schools, including private ones. As for grade inflation, as others have pointed out, some ā€œeliteā€ privates have grade deflation, yet their matriculations to ā€œeliteā€ colleges are the same as those private high schools which do have grade inflation.

That was exactly what bothered me - that these practices have been common among privates for decades, but I have not seen them being considered as the reasons that unhooked graduates from these high schools have high admission rates.

But moving onā€¦

We should have a college advice thread made up entirely of your poems.

6 Likes

Ditto!

4 Likes

We already did a poetry thread: Playful Prep Poetry

1 Like

Thanks @DramaMama2021! And @MWolf !! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes