Impacted major in UC or CSU

<p>I saw some messages about impacted majors in UC and CSU campus. Can you tell me what impacted majors mean and what they are?</p>

<p>Yes, I can tell you what they are. In case you were wondering if someone else could answer this question, I’ll just tell you now: if they pertain the information then they too can answer it.</p>

<p>@doctor, I don’t feel my question was answered.</p>

<p>Impacted majors at CSU:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.calstate.edu/sas/publications/documents/ImpactedProgramsMatrix.pdf[/url]”>http://www.calstate.edu/sas/publications/documents/ImpactedProgramsMatrix.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you say what your major or what campus you are interested in, I can send you a link for the specific UC’s.</p>

<p>It’s not one grid like the CSU.</p>

<p>For freshman and transfer admission, the only UC that designates “impacted majors” is UCSD: [Impacted</a> Majors](<a href=“http://www.ucsd.edu/current-students/academics/majors-minors/impacted-majors.html]Impacted”>http://www.ucsd.edu/current-students/academics/majors-minors/impacted-majors.html)</p>

<p>The rest of the UCs do not have impacted majors for freshman admission. Although engineering, nursing, some business majors (specifically UCI), and art/theater programs (that require audition or portfolio) may be extremely competitive.</p>

<p>Transfer admission is selective by major or division, so some majors will be harder to get into than others.</p>

<p>Here is the UC link for impacted and closed majors.</p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Check majors](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/check-majors/index.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/check-majors/index.html)</p>

<p>Just click on the name of the school. It has information for freshman, sophomores and transfers.</p>

<p>Thank you very much! My intersting majors are <em>hightly</em> impacted!!</p>

<p>what does it mean “majors are closed”?</p>

<p>@getinUC</p>

<p>It’s fair to note that at UCSD, applying for an impacted major will not affect your chances at admission.</p>

<p>Why do say that KingsElite? The website indicates: impacted major = limited emrollment! Again, what does it mean “majors closed”?</p>

<p>I would take “majors closed” to mean just that.</p>

<p>Closed to further enrollment until further notice for the groups listed, whether they are freshman, sophomore or junior transfers.</p>

<p>This is probably due to the amount of classes/sections/professors and instructors available for the major. It is better to close a major for new students than offer it and not have enough seats for students to get the classes they need.</p>

<p>@getinUC</p>

<p>Sorry. I should have been more specific. It doesn’t affect your changes at admittance into the university. First they accept you into the university, then they admit you into the major. If you get accepted at the university but not giving the major you want, you can switch into any non-impacted major. It’s later then possible to try to switch into an impacted major, but not guaranteed.</p>

<p>So choosing the impacted majors will not affect the chance to admission, is it right?
I should not worry if I choose one of the impacted majors, I will not get in.
Same rule to CSU?</p>

<p>Maybe.</p>

<p>Depends.</p>

<p>From the CSU website:</p>

<p>Impacted Undergraduate Majors and Campuses in the California State University 2011-201</p>

<p>CSU Campus Impaction Information 2011-2012</p>

<p>An undergraduate major or campus is designated as impacted when the number of applications received from fully qualified applicants during the initial filing period exceeds the number of available spaces. Such majors or campuses are authorized to use supplementary admission criteria to screen applications.</p>

<p>There are subtle, yet important, differences between major and campus impaction. Major impaction means that the number of applications from fully eligible students to a designated major on a CSU campus during the initial filing period far exceeds the number of spaces available in that major. However, students can still be admitted to the campus in an alternate major, or they may eventually be admitted to the oversubscribed major if they meet the supplementary admission criteria. Fullerton, San Diego, San Jose and San Luis Obispo campuses are impacted in all majors.</p>

<p>Campus impaction (otherwise known as campuswide impaction) means that a campus has exhausted existing enrollment capacity in terms of the instructional resources and physical capacity of the campus. Because the campus receives more eligible applicants during the initial admission application filing period than can be accommodated, the campus must therefore restrict enrollment to the campus for a specific enrollment category (i.e. first-time freshmen or transfers).</p>

<p>Students interested in an impacted major or campus must apply for admission during the initial filing period of October 1, 2010 through November 30, 2010 for admission in fall 2011. Applications for admission to impacted majors and campuses are not accepted after the initial filing period. Additionally, by utilizing CSUMentor, applicants can easily complete multiple applications for multiple campuses and submit them for consideration. CSUMentor allows for re-routing an application to an alternate campus, when a timely application from a CSU minimally qualified applicant cannot be accommodated; the filing of additional applications may be unnecessary. However, the system will not re-route applications to other impacted campuses or majors or to campuses that have already closed to applicants. </p>

<p>Consideration for admission to any impacted major or campus is contingent on first meeting the regular admission requirements for the CSU. Supplementary admission criteria are used to screen all applicants for admission to impacted majors including those students currently enrolled at the campus in other majors and seeking access to the impacted major. Transfer students have the same priority as continuing students in being admitted to an impacted major. They must also meet the same supplemental admission criteria as continuing students.</p>

<p>In most cases, CSU-eligible first-time freshmen and upper division transfer applicants who apply for admission to impacted majors during the initial filing period (October or November for the fall term, June for the winter quarter, or August for spring term) may be admitted to the campus in a “pre-major” status. In this status, the student must complete the lower division (freshman and sophomore level) courses established as prerequisites for admission to the impacted major. They must also complete all other supplemental admission criteria required for admission to the impacted major (Note: Admission of lower division transfer applicants is restricted at CSU campuses, and will be allowed only for a few majors or only if a specific campus needs additional students to meet enrollment targets).</p>

<p>@Samurai, so for closed majors, you wrote “Closed to further enrollment until further notice for the groups listed, whether they are freshman, sophomore or junior transfers”</p>

<p>Can I say applicants should not choose closed majors in UC applications since further notices have not been releases??</p>

<p>If you aren’t sure, call the admissions office to inquire what they mean. Closed means closed, to me. </p>

<p>However, another major may be open. You might be able to get in as undeclared, but if the major you want is closed or impacted, how likely is it that you can get into that program? </p>

<p>Each campus handles admissions, differently.</p>

<p>If there is any confusion about their stated policies, contact the university admissions offices. You might have to be persistent because it’s the busy season.</p>

<p>I second contact the university you are considering applying to. They all are different. For example, it you apply to engineering at some schools and don’t get accepted, that’s it. You would not be offered admission to the university under a different major.</p>

<p>would it better to choose “undeclare”?</p>

<p>Depends on the school and what you want to study, but yes, that might be the way to go. If you do want to go into engineering or something like that, it is not easy to transfer into the COE at certain universities, but it can be done…</p>