Important Advice for International Students

<p>carolyn - have private question-trying to find out how to research therapeutic boarding schools for a very frantic friend. can’t message you, so posting here. wondering about valid websites or people she can call. thanks. (you saved the day, telling us about College of Wooster for our daughter! many hugs and thanks-Barbara)</p>

<p>Hi everyone, I’m sorry if this is a repeated question (too many pages on this thread to check) but the most confusing thing for me about application in the US is that each college has its own policy on official translations and whether they can be faxed instead of mailed. My teachers translated their recommendations on their own, and some allow that, but others don’t. Also, I don’t know how reliable international postal service in your countries are, but in Brazil a simple document may take up to 2 or 3 months to arrive. I called to every single university I’m applying to today and asked about faxing transcripts and additional letters. What are you guys doing about all this? I’ve already spent more than R$700,00 with certified translations!!!</p>

<p>@RiodeJaneiro</p>

<p>In general, you don’t need certified translations to apply to college in US, in particular if you use the Common Ap. Here is what you do:</p>

<p>Recommendations: Send your recommendations through the common ap. Ask your teachers to write the recommendations. If they know English, let them write in English. If not, offer to pay a translator (do not need to be certified) to translate their letters, and give an electronic copy of the translatinos back to them. This way, they can upload it to the Common App.</p>

<p>Transcripts: Get a copy of your transcript. Translate it yourself. At the beginning of the translation, write something like this:</p>

<p>"The following is a complete and correct translation into English of a document written in
<language>.
Document: Secondary School Transcript (and Secondary School Conclusion Certificate if you already finished HS).
"</language></p>

<p>Get a teacher you know (preferrably from your school) to check the translation and write something like this at the end of the translation: </p>

<p>"This is the true and correct translation of the original document
from <language> to English</language></p>

<p><signature and="" date="">
<teachers’ name,="" credential,="" and="" contact="" information="">
"</teachers’></signature></p>

<p>Scan everything and give an electronic copy to your GC/Principal so he/she can upload it to the secondary school report. Alternatively, you can upload it yourself in the Additional Explanation field of the Common App.</p>

<p>Good Luck.</p>

<p>I’m an international student, and i’m on the process of selecting colleges that are suitable for me.</p>

<p>My SAT score: 2050 CR 600 M 760
My GPA: 8.9/10 </p>

<p>I’m planning to take SAT II on physics and Math</p>

<p>My awards & activities:

• 4 consecutive semesters of receiving the honor-scholarship for best-GPA students in Foreign Languages Specialzing School (FLSS)
  • Member of Media Team hosting CNN Idol and Prom Come What May (at FLSS)
  • Event Organizer and Creative Director of my school’s English Club (CEC), hosting monthly Meetings for about 100 members including: Meeting1 (Welcome to CEC), meeting 2 (Halloween), Field trip 1 (Pottery Village), Meeting3 (Christmas Party), Field Trip 2 (Ancient Roads), Meeting 4 (New Management Board Recruitment), Project 1 Deliver Love for Valentine, Project 2 Birthday Celebrations for Members, Project 3 Acting Month - All of these activities are offered for free and include attendance of all our members. To operate these monthly meetings, we, managers of English Club, have to find funding sources by cooperating with our donors (mostly English Academics centers)
  • Event Organizer of my class
  • Official Co-manager of A Meal A Smile Project (delivering free food for poor patients)
  • Orientation Group Leader of 10+ 2012 (an orientation program welcoming new students in my school)
  • Participant of FLSS Galax (Cultural night)
  • Scriptwriter and Director of Acting Project ‘illustrating literature by Drama’, hosted by FLSS</p>

<p>Contribution: max 20k
preferable 10k</p>

<p>Can anyone please recommend me some colleges that might be eligible for me ? T T</p>

<p>I am sorry it did not open for me :(</p>

<p>A couple of years ago, the Washington Post did a front-page story on the University I worked for. I was interviewed for my successful recruiting of top Chinese students into its academic community. I was thrilled that these wonderful students were then profiled and pictured as being an integral part of our university. I know our founder would have been proud. It was the first time a story that was not negative had graced the front page of the Post on anything to do with students. I felt happy and very self-satisfied. I knew I had done something good.</p>

<p>Then I read the article on line. There were more pictures of our students smiling, cooking, and making goofy faces. I had talked to the photographer and he wanted to portray these super geniuses not as nerds looking through books or at a computer screen. Those were outdated clich</p>

<p>The site can"t be found</p>

<p>what were your sat scores?</p>

<p>parkemuth I totally agree with you. Btw you wrote it in such a persuasive way, nevertheless that’s exaclly what I think. Just think of it what is worthier - paying money for education, living etc an American for 18 years or giving the opportunity to students to come to learn for several years and then stay and contribute to the prosperity of US? When I think of that, it is obvious that the second option, so why politics are sending away those people? It is just ridiculous. Well, that is also my opinion.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your kind words. Sorry, I have been away from CC for a while and only just saw your reply.
Recently I posted, on ‘only connect’ a graph (which I cannot reproduce on CC given the rules) taken from an article which is, to me at least, what journalists and politicians call a smoking gun. It shows how the ivies have kept Asian enrollment steady over the past 20 years even though the number of applicants, many from the best schools in the US and around the work, have skyrocketed. Cal Tech has done it differently. Their Asian student percentages reflect the reality of the magnet schools in both the US and around the world. The Ivies have not. In fact, virtually all of them have the same enrollment percentages as each other.
Are the journalists investing this? No. It is not something they think most people in this country want to hear. And that says something sad at the very least.</p>

<p>Classes and communication in general function differently in the United States…after all, communication is cultural. I recommend buying a book like this one to better prepare yourself for your journey to the U.S. [Excuse</a> Me, Can you Repeat That?](<a href=“http://www.ExcuseMeCanYouRepeatThat.com%5DExcuse”>http://www.ExcuseMeCanYouRepeatThat.com) Many international students in the U.S. are reading this guide book to review important strategies to make communicating in the U.S. easier and more successful.</p>

<p>Are really high SAT -I scores reqd for int. students? English is the first language at my school but, definitely not my native language. Will they, ie the admission officers be able to understand the reason for scoring low in the CR/Reading sections. Please Advise.</p>

<p>@Indiestudent: It depends on the school. A good score can only help you, but some schools take it more into consideration than others. I suggest you check the Common Data Set of the schools you’re interested in. There they mention how important test scores are in their evaluation of applicants.</p>

<p>And many schools are more forgiving about CR scores for internationals. For example, Grinnell, a top LAC, has a SAT middle 50% of 660-790 for internationals, but the CR middle 50% is significantly lower: 590-720. There are also many schools that are test-optional for everyone, including internationals. Really, you don’t need near-perfect scores unless you’re aiming for the Ivies or other similar schools. What I would suggest, though, is making sure you’re within their middle 50% range.</p>

<p>Good luck, do your best on the SAT, but don’t freak out if you don’t get a perfect score. I freaked out when I found out my score (1980), but I still got into my top choice. As long as you work on polishing those essays, maintaining a good GPA, and getting great recs, you’ll do fine.</p>

<p>Classes and communication in general function differently in the United States…after all, communication is cultural. I recommend buying a book like this one to better prepare yourself for your journey to the U.S.: [Excuse</a> Me, Can you Repeat That?](<a href=“http://excusemecanyourepeatthat.com/]Excuse”>http://excusemecanyourepeatthat.com/) Many international students in the U.S. are reading this guide book to review important strategies to make communicating in the U.S. easier and more successful.</p>

<p>Classes and communication in general function differently in the United States…after all, communication is cultural. I recommend buying a book like this one to better prepare yourself for your journey to the U.S.: Classes and communication in general function differently in the United States…after all, communication is cultural. I recommend buying a book like this one to better prepare yourself for your journey to the U.S. [Excuse</a> Me, Can you Repeat That?](<a href=“http://www.ExcuseMeCanYouRepeatThat.com%5DExcuse”>http://www.ExcuseMeCanYouRepeatThat.com) Many international students in the U.S. are reading this guide book to review important strategies to make communicating in the U.S. easier and more successful. Many international students in the U.S. are reading this guide book to review important strategies to make communicating in the U.S. easier and more successful.</p>

<p>Hello! I’m a student in an entrepreneur class and my team is looking to survey international students on their college choices.</p>

<p>Please consider taking this survey!</p>

<p><a href=“https://uic.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/SE/?SID=SV_8f9XG3s0YNYgGyh[/url]”>https://uic.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/SE/?SID=SV_8f9XG3s0YNYgGyh&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>thanks its really helpful!</p>

<p>Hi, Im a rising senior from Morocco, I want to pursue my studies in chemical engineering, I applied last year for Florida Tech, and I got mt admission letter not so long ago, I got a $13000 scholarship, still got approxamitively $35000 to pay and it’s way too expensive for me, I have considered international student loans/private institution scholarshisps and so on…but the process is long and complicated, my question is; what would be the best option for me:
-drop my dream of going to Florida tech and look for other colleges that offer better financial aid.
-consider going to an american university in my home country and earn a BS in general engineering then maybe hope for a MS chemical engineering in the U.S.
-other option.</p>

<p>Hey guys. I’m a green-card holder living in Bangladesh. I’ll be applying for the fall session and I was wondering if I’ll be classified as an international student or not. If I am an international student, do I have to give IELTS or TOEFL? I have a B in O’ Level English. Thank you.</p>

<p>thank you very much</p>