"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

@parent2one Welcome to the Rocket City!! :slight_smile:

Hiā€¦Mom of a soon to be colkege brat and my eldest (26) police officer here in town.

I live near FAUā€¦Atlanticā€¦lynn ā€¦
South Florida.yet my sonā€¦is Headed to Tallahasseeā€¦lol
Here for any parentsā€¦need anything

Iā€™m in southern California in the Los Angeles area. Thereā€™s a bunch of universities here that are nearby so I wonā€™t list them all. Some univerisites include UCLA and CSUN as well as Loyola Marymount.

@MoonKnight you are a student yourself. What kind of help would you be able to provide a college student in your area?

This thread clearly saysā€¦in loco parentis. I believe folks are looking for parents just in case there is a need for a grown up to be there.

We live very close (walking distance) to Chapman University.

Oh sorry, my bad @thumper1 . I didnā€™t know what in loco parentis meant.

We live near Athens, Georgia, so feel free to PM me with any needs or questions about Athens/UGA for your student. Hoping to have a freshman there in the fall myself!

I am in Orlando, about five minutes (ten with traffic) from UCF. Rollins College is about thirty minutes away in Winter Park (I used to live fifteen away previously).

There are other schools like Seminole State, which is a junior college that offers a few bachelorā€™s degrees. Stetson U. is an hour away in DeLand. Full Sail University is a for-profit school (though itā€™s popular here and has a Hollywood-style backlot for film students) that is fifteen minutes away.

Florida Southern in DeLand (90 minutes) and UF (an hour and forty-five min.) are too far to truly be in my area, so why am I mentioning them? To beef up my post!

1 Like

Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. I live right across the street should anyone need any help.

I live in Boulder, just a couple of miles from CU Boulder. Happy to help.

2 Likes

Hi Iā€™m not far from schools in Philadelphia.

I am very close to Bryn Mawr, Haverford, St Joeā€™s and Villanova. In a medical emergency, you are welcome to contact me.

My son starts at Grinnell this fall (2020) and I also wish I knew someone who lived nearby. Is your child a first year, too?

I live in Amherst, MA, so near Amherst College, Smith College, UMass Amherst, Mt Holyoke, and Hampshire. Happy to help.

Me too! Montague here. :slight_smile:

We live near UC Santa Barbara and my husband is an alum.

This thread is a great idea.

We live near Ga Tech and Emory.

Agree. This thread is a great idea!

1 Like

I work for Stony Brook University (SUNY at Stony Brook) and live nearby, very willing to help if needed.

Iā€™m walking distance from American University and Georgetown University, a short bus ride or 5-10 minute drive from both main and Mt. Vernon campus of George Washington University. DM for info about the area.

Close to Seton Hall University. DM if anyone needs something.